Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the actual capacity of an Insight fuel tank is?
The manual says 10.6 gallons. I drove my 2001 Insight 17 miles after the last amber light bar went out, and then squeezed in 13.21 gallons. Is there a "reserve" beyond what is indicated by the amber light bars?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
13 sounds like a lot. But you might be forcing it into the various carbon filter cannisters and reservoirs that are part of the emissions systems.

To "fill" the tank, stop when the nozzle clicks off automatically.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the problem: If you don't know when the tank is full, you can't calculate your true mileage. I tend to drive until the last amber light disappears. Sometimes the pump handle trips at less than 10 gallons. Once, it filled to just past 12 gallons before tripping. (That's what tipped me off that the tank was larger than Honda states in the capacities table.)

If, for example, there are 650 miles showing on the odometer and I stop filling at 9.5 gallons, the mileage was 68.42 mpg, and I'm ecstatic. If it fills to 12 gallons, the mileage was a respectable 54.17 mpg. If I continue filling to 13.25 gallons, the mileage drops to 49.06. Therefore I have no idea what the actual mileage is, because I don't know how much gasoline was in the tank to begin with.

I'll check with Honda about the carbon filters theory. They may be able to clarify the situation. If there's no harm in filling the tank to capacity, I'd rather go another 175 miles between visits the gas station.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My approach is to always use the same gas station. (You could even use the same pump every time.) Then just fill the tank until the nozzle shuts off. Doesn't it seem like that will be close enough?

I had a bad experience once when a gas station attendant did the "top off" thing and washed some gunk into my fuel system, so I'm over in the "follow the instructions" camp on this one...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi TXHondaFan:

___There is a potential to damage the Vapor Recovery HW when you actually do get one of those above capacity fills. I could never fill her to that level consistently so what I did was to average the long and short tanks to keep my FE straight whenever I did have a long fill.

___As for the range, you are going to love that part as your Insight will seem to go forever and ever :D

___The pic below is the most that I had ever filled her with:

___The details showing the few long tanks interspersed with all of those short ones …

Little Red Beauty

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:18eqya13][email protected][/email:18eqya13]

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
TXHondaFan said:
<snip>

I'll check with Honda about the carbon filters theory. They may be able
to clarify the situation. If there's no harm in filling the tank to
capacity, I'd rather go another 175 miles between visits the gas
station.
Its more than a theory. ;)

The capacity is 10.4 USG. Yes, you can overfill it. And while the fire
risk is minimal it is not zero. Do so at your own risk :!:

The biggest factor will be evaporative emissions. Of course it saves
you some time at the cost of greater air pollution. Yes, your
"contribution" will be less than the proverbial drop in the bucket. But
until we all begin to exercise the environmental adage, "Think globally,
act locally.", nothing much is going to change. Someone's gotta be
first. :D

edit & p.s.

FYI, the Insight's MPG meter has been reliably checked by many different owners to be accurate to within 2% (using OEM or equivalent circumference tires). The Civic hybrid is generally reported to be 5-7% optimistic.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
TXHondaFan said:
Here's the problem: If you don't know when the tank is full, you can't calculate your true mileage.
It doesn't matter how much fuel is in the tank, the Insight will tell you the true mileage. It's probably more accurate than your math.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've measured my mileage several times, and it's always within 1 MPG of what the Insight tells me. It seems like the built in computer is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
And why wouldn't it be accurate? This part of the Insight isn't new technology for the auto industry, it goes way back to the 80's.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The Prius also reads high. Wonder why they were not able to get as accurate of a fuel measurement in the Civic and Prius. Interesting that they are both high. But then again the Insight's speed reads about 2% high. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
150 Posts
My suspicious nature

Just being my usual paranoid self, but I just don't trust the gas pumps to be all that accurate, unless like above post says, use the same pump at the same station, stopping at the click-off (or round up to the nearest nickel) for your mpg calculations. In GA the pumps, I beleive, only get calibrated once a year? (Anyone know any different, pipe up!)

Would ya think that maybe some stations maybe even might have pumps that were 'accedentally' a little off? Considering the outrageous oil company profits this year, in spite of all the 'shortages' and 'refinery problems', etc. :evil:

I would love to find an LED advertising marquis (sic) to put in the little back window that would light up on braking and say "Slow Down - - Save Gas --- Save Money --- Hurt OPEC --- Hurt Al-Qauida (sic) 8) You know, just to wave it at the SUV's and spread the idea.

When I was driving my Jeep Cherokee BI (before Insight) I thought 'How interesting it would be if folks would organize thru the internet a rolling boycott of the gas brands'. We can't do without our gas in the USA, but we can affect the profits of one particular company for a month. Like start alphabetically with Amoco, just don't buy Amoco for the month of January, then on to Citco in Febuary, etc. I'd bet if that knocked down 2% of the profits for that month, it would really get their attention and lower prices to reality. Course, driving an Insight now means I'd only not buy about 20 gal or less in a month, doing a 75 mile commute daily!! :D HA, with every Insight owner in the country participating, they wouldn't even notice! :wink:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr05/317263.asp is about some monkey business in WI where they've been caught dumping regular into the hi octane tanks at the stations. It wasn't a 'enroll' type article at first.

http://www.ksda.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=51 Each state, like KA, has a weights and measures department. Be suspicious, it keeps you sharp! :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts