Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2002 Blue 5MT
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: found some. Thanks KLR3CYL!

So, my Citrus project has massive amounts of rust on just about everything that can rust - brake lines (rears exploded), rear axle, tank straps. This car's just about to the point where if it wasn't complete and in my favorite color I'd be seriously thinking about parting it out.

I've got a line on a couple rear axles, I'm replacing the brake lines with NiCopp, but I cannot find tank straps. They seem easy enough to fabricate from stainless if I were to get ahold of the right gauge of dimensional stock, but if I could buy off the shelf I'd still rather do that.

So, I guess I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone know where I can find a usable pair of fuel tank straps? I've checked OEM resellers and none of them stock it, I tried to buy a set on eBay and the seller "couldn't find them" and refunded me, and nobody seems to be parting them out.

2) Failing that, anyone other than myself interested in replacement fuel tank straps? I'd potentially be willing to make some, and the cost per/ea would decrease if I can buy more than 1 set's worth of raw material.

Super Moderator
You might send klr3cyl a "conversation." I think he has some CA cars he's parting a bit at a time.

I suspect there'd be a market if you made some. Northern cars and U.K. cars almost universally will need them. Not hard to make. Need spot welded reinforcement at ends.

Reactions: jpr

Super Moderator
I鈥檓 sure I could do a set.

Scott

Registered
2002 Blue 5MT
Discussion Starter #4
Scott, I'll PM you in a sec here!

Registered
I got my 2003 Insight back today from Richfield Bloomington Honda. There was a fuel leak. I had new fuel and brake lines installed which I got from sstubes.com. The engine compartment looks amazing.
Initially, I was told that the fuel tank straps looked rusty.
Today, I was told that, after taking the fuel tank straps down, the fuel tank straps are probably OK.
In the meantime, I located a source of fuel tank straps. They are the Automobile Service Company in St. Louis Park, MN.

From previous experience, they can do anything.

They would have to have your Honda Insight before doing anything. That may change if they do one set. I may still bring my 2003 in to have new stainless fuel tank straps.

At this time, you can email as follows: [email protected]

Registered
2002 Blue 5MT
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the solid recommendation 3Banger! That's right in my neck of the woods too. Got pics of their work?

Scott hooked me up with 2 very nice straps that just arrived yesterday. I ended up pulling the trigger on doing NiCopp lines myself.

Registered
So, my Citrus project has massive amounts of rust on just about everything that can rust - brake lines (rears exploded), rear axle, tank straps. This car's just about to the point where if it wasn't complete and in my favorite color I'd be seriously thinking about parting it out.

I've got a line on a couple rear axles, I'm replacing the brake lines with NiCopp, but I cannot find tank straps. They seem easy enough to fabricate from stainless if I were to get ahold of the right gauge of dimensional stock, but if I could buy off the shelf I'd still rather do that.

1) Anyone know where I can find a usable pair of fuel tank straps? I've checked OEM resellers and none of them stock it, I tried to buy a set on eBay and the seller "couldn't find them" and refunded me, and nobody seems to be parting them out.

2) Failing that, anyone other than myself interested in replacement fuel tank straps? I'd potentially be willing to make some, and the cost per/ea would decrease if I can buy more than 1 set's worth of raw material.
I found 2 on Ebay last year.
The two rear nuts inside the aluminum channel spun. U was able to slide big aluminum washers inside and new nuts. Tricky though. John 2001 Gen one "Munchkin"

Registered
2002 Blue 5MT
Discussion Starter #8
The two rear nuts inside the aluminum channel spun. U was able to slide big aluminum washers inside and new nuts.
I spun only one but that'll still be a pain in the rear to deal with. I was using a breaker bar; if I'd been using my impact I would probably have gotten away with it.

How'd you install the new nuts? Did you have to drill a hole in the channel to slide them in, or is there another way in?

Registered
I spun only one but that'll still be a pain in the rear to deal with. I was using a breaker bar; if I'd been using my impact I would probably have gotten away with it.

How'd you install the new nuts? Did you have to drill a hole in the channel to slide them in, or is there another way in?
Yes, I did drill holes in the side of the channel. I wrapped copper wire around the exterior of the nuts and slid them in place. Got the head started and then wedged a bar in to stop them from spinning. It was tricky with the tank still in place. Might have been easier if I had just removed the tank.
John

Registered

I have a set in great shape. I'm in Alabama

Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
Please include your location in your profile, as ALL G! Insighters have done.
Thank You.

Registered
2002 Blue 5MT
Discussion Starter #12

Registered
Wow. My blue has a lot of rust in the rear. I definitely want to replace all of that stuff was hoping I鈥檇 be able to order a new set. I still need to install all the lines and address the axle issue. Straps look OK but they aren鈥檛 rust free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts