Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have sworn I had read on the InsightCentral website some time ago that Insights could carry a full spare. (Maybe it was on an owners' web site instead.) If it's possible to accomodate a full spare, I'm interested in getting one (and soon).

Back when I bought my Insight, I had asked my dealer about such a possibility. She told me that if I bought it from the dealership, they'd have to put it on one of the official Insight aluminum rims and it'd run me about $400 for the package. She suggested I try a tire place and get a steel rim. During a servicing at the dealership, I talked to a fellow at the Belle Tire next door, and he didn't seem to think that would be a problem.

I went into a Belle Tire here in A^2 today, and they couldn't even find the Potenzas in their ordering system. Having a quick look at my car and the chicken spare in the trunk, he was concerned about putting a full spare on anything but an aluminum rim (as the chicken also seemed to be on aluminum).

I admit, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the technical side of cars, so I'm seeking your advice. I'm sure some of you have at least investigated (if not actually installed) full spares. I notice some of you have pointed to Tire Rack for ordering replacement Potenzas. What kind of rim should I get? Are there potential problems with using a steel rim? What size rim is it? Or am I stupid to think I can even squeeze a full spare in there?

I'd like to jump on this before week's end, if possible, so any (prompt) help would be much appreciated. I have a long road trip planned right after I finish giving finals in June, and would like to have the spare in place well ahead of that.

BTW, I have a 2002 CVT with about 12.5k miles on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
as has been noted before, the spare is part of the crumple zone in the rear of the car. putting a full size spare in that area will change the characteristics of the crumple zone, perhaps for the worse. as a SUV tries to get in the back hatch is a bad time to find out that the steel rim will punch through the battery compartment behind your behind.

i hate the mini spares, and have had to use mine twice. with that said, i find it hard to see where in the US you would need to carry the full size spare, with it's additional weight. a can of fixaflat would probably work better, and be lighter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got my steel wheel from Discount Tire Direct, and I believe with shipping it cost me $30. When I replaced my tires back in December I kept the tire with the most tread and had it mounted on the steel wheel that I bought. As has been noted, the full size spare route costs a little space in the storage bin, but I was able to bend away the intruding portion of the well and not lose much functional space. I like to take long trips in my Insight and I figure that the piece of mind of being able to slap a full size tire on in a tire emergency and not have to worry about getting a replacement until I return home is worth the slight loss of space. Before I got the full size spare I always worried that I'd be traveling, have a flat and not be able to find the Potenza's I'd need within the mileage and life available in the mini spare, so I'm much more confident now when I trek away from home.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just remember for the tire guys that Have to fix your tires GET NON EXPLOSIVE FIX A FLAT. I had a tire blow up on me once and i got hurt pretty bad. and most tire shops will not touch a tire that has had fix a flat in it. a walmart plug kit and a 12v air compressor work better and wont kill your mechanic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Fix a Flat

I've never used that Fix a Flat stuff, but if there is a non-explosive version, why would they make an explosive version?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but as I've been away from the forum for awhile, I forgot that I never followed up on this old thread.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone, first of all.

I did end up purchasing a steel rim and a spare Potenza. Taking into account the crumple-zone concerns, I only use it on my long-distance trips. (For instance, I loaded it a few weeks ago for my trip to Minnesota, and last summer for the drive to Iowa and Colorado.) When I get home from these trips, I swap my doughnut back in (and reclaim my storage space). Even with a 33-mile one-way commute to work, I'm close enough to civilization the whole way to make the safety of the crumple zone come first. On the long trips though, I like the idea that I'm not going to be stuck in the middle of nowhere for three days waiting for someone to order me a replacement tire at gouged prices.

Amusingly, given that the doughnut is SO lightweight, and given that we don't have much room in our cars for things of immediate need during the move, I think I'll be packing the doughnut in a box and sending it with the movers come June. I have plenty of boxes of books that'll be heavier.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's very rare now a days that one would get a flat tire. If you get a flat tire far from home it's much better to put it in the rear. So if your flat is in the front just move a rear wheel to the front and use the tiny spare in the rear.
I'm glad the Insight has a tiny tire and super light weight alloy wheel for a spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts