Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed one of these on their Insight? Fumoto doesn’t specifically mention the Insight on their site http://www.fumotovalve.com/ but does show all newer Hondas using the same valve: F106. This is the one I put on my 2002 CR-V. I had planned on comparing the Insight drain plug to the CR-V’s when I change the oil but I’d love to have the correct valve on hand to install if possible. I contacted Fumoto but have yet to get a reply.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I had a Fumoto oil drain valve on my old car. Top quality valve.
But for the Insight I couldn't justify paying the high cost plus shipping cost to Canada and tariffs etc..again!
So I went to a local Canadian Tire store and bought the Fram oil drain valve for less the half the price of the Fumoto valve. The oil drain plug/valve for the Insight is the same as all the other modern Honda vehicles. Fits fine.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Fumoto oil drain valve

I tried the Fumoto. It wouldn't fit due to the valve shoulder hitting the bolt that holds in the steel drain plug inset on the Magnesium oil pan. Perhaps it would work with an extender.

I also had the Fram... it leaked after a time. I eventually returned to the Honda drain plug

·
Registered
242 Posts
"Has anyone ever installed one of these on their Insight? Fumoto doesn’t specifically mention the Insight on their site http://www.fumotovalve.com/ but does show all newer Hondas using the same valve: F106."

"I contacted Fumoto but have yet to get a reply."

I got a reply from them (less than 24 hours) - the F106 fits all Hondas, and you'll probably need the adapter ADP106 to go with it. Looks like a very nice valve. It would be interesting to see if their valve with the extension would fit - if it did, it would make oil changes a snap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Years ago when the Piper Turbo Arrow first came out we put a simular valve on the engine like we had on all the other airplanes. The problem was the engine on the turbo sat just a little lower then the engine on the normal Arrow and when we retracted the gear the nose tire pushed up on the valve and opened it, draining all the oil. It's a good thing it was in the hanger and on the jacks, no one got hurt. The point is all mods affect more then just the main goal (in this case easy oil change)so check every thing carefully. Make sure the extension doesn't put the valve low enough to catch on some road debris, grass, bushes, bumps,etc.
Louis

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fumoto did get back to me (in about the same time frame) with the F106 as the one to use possibly with an adapter. Based on what Kevin said, it looks like it is necessary. I did have to go this route on one of my other cars (PT Cruiser, I think) and thats not a big deal.

I think I'm going to hold off until I get a chance to look at the layout during my first oil change (in about 1,000 miles), plus I have too many other things on my list to buy!

I'll post an update here when I do get it installed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I ordered the F106 Valve and ADP106 Adapter from Fumoto and recently installed them. The adapter is required to move the valve out away from the bolt that holds the small steel plate onto the oil pan.

Fumoto Valve Installed

My only concern was with the length of the threaded part of the adapter (the part that actually goes into the oil pan) versus the length of the OEM drain plug. I did not measure the adapter but the threads on the drain plug are 20mm (somewhat longer than those on the adapter). The steel plate on the pan is not threaded so I’m sure the extra length was provided so the plug would have plenty to “catch on” in the pan. I asked Fumoto about an adapter with longer threads but have not yet received a reply.

Fumoto Valve, Adapter, and Stock Drain Plug

I’m not sure really what the best installation method should be. I assembled the valve to the adapter by hand, screwed the adapter into the pan, and then used a wrench on the valve to get everything tight and lined up. This was the hairy part as I’m sure I over-torqued everything a little to get the valve “handle” off to the side instead of pointing down.
In retrospect it probably would a have been better to install the adapter to the pan first, torque it down to the proper 29ft/lbs., then hold it in place with a wrench while I installed the valve.
As it is, I have no leaks and should have many easier oil changes in the years to come!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts