Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to pass on what happened in my 2010 Insight today. Sitting in the car waiting outside the supermarket while my wife was doing the shopping, suddenly the radio switched itself off. Wife came out a few seconds later, as I was switching the ignition on and off to see what was wrong, and she gets in the car. Car won't start. Not just that, doors are locked, windows are locked, we can't open them. Very strange. I try her key, no luck. We can't think what to do. Not that many people around either. A warmish afternoon, it began to get a bit warm in the car (luckily we are parked in the shade.) Windows steaming up, us feeling a bit short of breath. Phone son-in-law, who promises to come over, taking about 20 mins. Wife wants to shatter window using a jar of olives (she's Italian!), which I say emphatically is a bad idea. We can last 20 minutes, I say. I'd read on this forum that Insights have electrical problems when battery is on its way out. Son--in-law arrives, connects battery cables, car starts. All is well.
Wife's brother - ex Honda dealer - is puzzled, calls friend who is Honda dealer, who says he has never heard of this happening before.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Wait, you were locked inside the car? Without enough power to run the radio?

I'm a little confused as to how that's possible. The lock levers all jammed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly. Weird, isn't it? We tried pulling the door lock levers, pressing the electric window buttons. No response. I've had batteries die on me before, but never like this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds really dangerous!

My guess is your 12V battery died.

I just checked, there is a small access panel right by the trunk lock. You pull that down with your thumb nail.
There is a small lever on the trunk lock to release the latch.

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
I'm not a G2 guy. Is there no manual lock/unlock lever on the doors like there is on the G1?

Sam

·
Registered
194 Posts
ummm.... can't just just push the unlock manual switch by the handle regardless of batter or not... that works on every car.... ever lol

something doesn't sound right about this story:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've only had the car seven months, so I don't know about when the battery was last replaced, but it looks old and could be the original one.
There is manual release latch on the rear hatch, but the car was fully loaded and we couldn't reach it.
The lock/unlock button on the driver's door did not operate. Believe me, we tried everything.
The car seems back to normal today. I went out and started it this morning and all seemed well.
Has anyone known a battery fail so suddenly? I was sitting in the car listening to the radio and it switched itself off. The ventilator fan was also on.
Anyway, it's due a major service, so I'll get them to investigate.
And for those living in a hot climate, I recommend having something in the car to smash the window with. A guy died along with his dog in a Corvette because he locked himself in and did not know where the manual door release lever was.

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
Can somebody take a picture of the manual door release on a G2? It sounds like he only tried the power button.

Yes, batteries fail suddenly. It was already very weak and you killed it by using the radio. Have it load tested immediately, or it's going to happen again.

Sam

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Honda oem 12 volt batteries rarely last 5 years, let alone 7. Even if it had been replace once, it could still be bad. I would address this asap because it is our experience around here that weak unhood (bonnet in your case) batteries can wreak havoc with the vehicles electronics. While this could have been dangerous and was certainly inconvenient, once it starts effecting the IMA system it could start to get expensive. Have that battery load tested and probably replaced!

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
Of course it is, but nobody will answer the main question. On a G2, is there or is there not a manual override for the power locks? I just can't believe that you can't get out without breaking a window.

Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your comments and advice. I have just been to the local Honda dealer and have booked the car in for a service which it desperately needed anyway. The technician said that sitting in the car with the radio running (and possibly the heater fan at low setting, I realised afterwards) was enough to empty the battery. The car is running normally again now.
Red face time: when we were locked in the car, I forgot to twiddle the manual door latch you mentioned, but my wife tells me she did try it, but it didn't move. Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thanks again.
Apart from this, I'm happy with the car.

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
Except that is is NOT over. This is going to happen again. A healthy 12V should be able to easily support a few minutes of radio use. You REALLY need to have this battery LOAD TESTED and very likely replaced.

Until then, *I* would want to make sure I (or my wife) could get out of the car. *I* would, with the windows down, sit in the car while somebody disconnects the 12V. Then I would make sure I could get the doors open. If not, I would get another car. This is a basic safety issue that could turn deadly under certain circumstances.

Sam

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think it was more than a few minutes. Also, the auto climate control in the second gen Insights will run the fan on low if you do not turn it off completely.

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
Sure, but isn't it irresponsible to NOT have the 12V load tested after having a problem with the 12V, when you KNOW that a weak 12V can cause problems with this car? Especially if you think your wife might get locked in?

And is it possible to unlock the doors of a G2 with a dead 12V or not? It just doesn't seem like this should be so hard to answer.

Sam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sure, but isn't it irresponsible to NOT have the 12V load tested after having a problem with the 12V, when you KNOW that a weak 12V can cause problems with this car? Especially if you think your wife might get locked in?

And is it possible to unlock the doors of a G2 with a dead 12V or not? It just doesn't seem like this should be so hard to answer.

Sam
Ive had a similar thing happen to me except the windows were open. The drivers door can be manually overridden when the battery drained, by unlocking the door with the switch and pulling the handle, but not the other doors (at least on my car)

Unfortunately the G2 original battery lasts a shockingly short amount of time! I went to Euro car parts and bought a bigger one and haven't looked back!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If your car dies on you like this you must try this:
- Switch everything off. Take the key out. Make sure all lights are switched off.
Wait a minute. I mean literally: wait one minute.
Insert the key and try to start. Chances are that the 12 V battery, freed of what was draining it, jumped back up just enough to power the IMA control electronics.

It worked on mine. I keyed off at a red light and the radio dropped away just when it turned green. The MID displayed an array of failing systems messages. Tried to start, nada.
Car behind started honking. I killed the lights, keyed off, and knowing the sequence tried to start the car again just before the lights were to go green again. Chugga, chugga, chug..ga... chug... Vroom!
Voltage too low for the IMA computer it used the good ole starter engine and that did it on the cliffs edge.
Battery had an inverted cell... yours likely too. There is no cure, get a new 12V battery.

But you should be able to unlock the drivers door with the lock button right above the inner door handle. It physically unlocks the door. It did that when my battery was flat, it did that too when I blew my 15Amp auxiliary fuse that controls the remote locking (and, strangely enough, the IMA computer so you don't have hybrid support then!).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since nobody has answered. Here is a video of the door lock mechanism on youtube:

Yes, you can move it manually. I am guessing OP's wife was trying to move the lock the wrong way.

You PUSH to unlock, and PULL the handle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts