Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi list!

Often, I get questions from co-workers and friends that reflect people's ignorance about the Insight and hybrids in general. Questions like: "Is this a real car?", or "Can it go on the freeway...can it go 60 mph?", and the oldie "Do you have to plug it in?"...yes I still get those!!! If only people knew the facts and not be blinded by their misconceptions, the Insight would be selling like hotcakes! It's a well engineered, great little car, especially now with fuel prices hitting record highs!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I totally agree with your comments. I think this car is way beyond today's cars (technologically). I am amazed everytime i drive the car!! Whenever i drive my Honda Civic 1997 or 1968 Bettle, i really begin to appreciate my Insight. Too me it is a car that never seems to disappoint me. That is true innovation. Go Insight owners!!! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
A guy this morning...

A guy this morning who parked next to me at work simply said "That must be a blast to drive!" I'm finding that most of the people I work with are familiar with the Insight and its technology... my boss even warned me to be careful with "those 50 psi tires." I guess it's because we're all engineers.

The most common thing I've heard is "I'd get one, but I have to pull a boat." or "I'd get one but we have kids." For the latter I recommend the HCH. 8)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Driving across the country I found that the questions I got varied a lot by state. Arizona I got asked about how it handles the heat. In New England they asked how it handles the cold, or snow. In Louisiana they wanted to know how it handled potholes. In Texas, they said "whut the hell is THAT?" And so on.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Weird question in Arkansas...

Young (20's) man with puzzled expression (dramatic recreation :roll: ) came over to our Insight at a gas station, asked me how "them back wheels come off if you have a flat" (referring to the spats covering most of the wheel). Advising him that the spats are removable for tire service, he followed up with "I thought maybe it had them new lifetime tires [don't I wish, Bunky!] like on shopping carts." I slowly backed away...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did notice that SOME of the potholes in NJ are deep enough for me to fall into and never come out! So I have to keep and eye out on unfamiliar roads. Someone yesterday asked me where I plugged it in, another asked "What kind of batteries does it take, D Cells?" and I laughed out loud and told them, "actually, yes, kinda". And then I told them how the batteries were configured. We had a good laugh.

Shame Honda isn't making the Insight for 2004, but no matter, there's enough of them out there to keep the support model going.

Michael

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yes, they think it has to charge overnight

I'm soooo tempted to tape a cord to the back of my silver 2000 Insight, except it would de-promote hybrid sales.

The other myth seems to be the car is slow. Remember the high school bad boy that tries to push around the skinny guy? I sense some of that from some drivers. Most of the time they find out it's a lot harder to pass me than they thought. Of course I have to consider I'm getting 55.4 mpg over the first 40,000 miles. If I ignored them, the mpg probably would be the low 60s.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Yes, they think it has to charge overnight

Delta Flyer said:
If I ignored them, the mpg probably would be the low 60s.
Yeah.. that's something I have trouble with too. I want to get best milage possible.. which means ignoring them. Not accelerating up the hills. Coasting in the the lights. But then they get the impression that it's a slow car.... what to do.... :roll:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have the greatest example ever....

Yesterday I was at the gas station filling the car for the first time since I bought it. About halfway through the tank, a lady came up to me and asked "Is that one of those new electric cars?". Keep in mind that she asked as I leaned against the car, with the gas nozzle in my hand, pumping 30 litres of regular unleaded into the car. I just looked at her, completely shocked and dumbfounded until I finally managed to point out that I'm filling it with gas right now. She still didn't get it.

It blows my mind to think of the kind of confusion that would cause a person to ask such a question...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
NJinsight said:
Shame Honda isn't making the Insight for 2004...
I've been hearing that for years, too.

Do you have a source for that, or is it just another rumor?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I have the greatest example ever....

Yesterday I was at the gas station filling the car for the first time since I bought it. About halfway through the tank, a lady came up to me and asked "Is that one of those new electric cars?". Keep in mind that she asked as I leaned against the car, with the gas nozzle in my hand, pumping 30 litres of regular unleaded into the car. I just looked at her, completely shocked and dumbfounded until I finally managed to point out that I'm filling it with gas right now. She still didn't get it.

It blows my mind to think of the kind of confusion that would cause a person to ask such a question...
Actually I have a Simalar one Filling up one nighta kid on a skateboard rolls up ans asks "Hey is that a [b}solar[/b] car".
What I wanted to say was; Aw crap call me a tow truck, its dark. However I did the right thing and sxplained the IMA and showed him the engine when I checked my oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Yes, they think it has to charge overnight

Yeah.. that's something I have trouble with too. I want to get best milage possible.. which means ignoring them. Not accelerating up the hills. Coasting in the the lights. But then they get the impression that it's a slow car.... what to do.... :roll:[/quote]

Ya know, I just ignore them(other drivers) most of the time. As long as I am driving at or slightly above the speed limit, I don't feel bad at all. People here in So Cal just drive too fast and if they don't like it, so be it. Another pet peeve that I have is that people ACCELERATE to a red stop light, instead of decelerating. I came to the conclusion that people just don't drive sensibly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only source other than online rumor I had was from the Honda dealer in Nanuet who stated, that 'Yes, Honda wont be making 2004 Insights'. He said it was a "proof of concept" vehicle, and they dont really advertise that its not going to be produced in 2004 for obvious reasons.

I hope he's either wrong or fibbing, but either way, I got my #2921 and Im happy!

I'm sure Honda will have a CR-V Hybrid and an Accord Hybrid and an Odyssey Hybrid in 1-3 yrs. I know Ford stated they'll have a Escape Hybrid out in 2004. Toyoya has also mentioned more lines with Hybrid technology. I think it'll take them quite a while to touch the Insight's 70 MPG.

Michael

·
Registered
32 Posts
accelerating to a stoplight

here's one that i hate even worse and it happens fairly often: i'm coasting into a light (especially one that i know pretty well and so know it's timing) and some SUV driving (usually) yahoo (always) speeds up in the next lane so that they can pull in front of me. argh! yes, try to let it go.

here's one that i love and it happens just a bit less often: i'm coasting to the light, timing it spot on, everyone's in the right lane (like maybe a freeway entrance is coming up in a block or two). but as i hit the intersection i've still got momentum, so with a not too heavy touch on the accelerator, i'm past the line of cars, into the right lane, and on the freeway. well before that SUV drivin' yahoo who accelerated past me only to get stuck behind the line of traffic in the right lane. i can only hope that the yahoo notices and is sitting there feeling like totally stupid and wishin' they had an insight. especially a deep blue one.... LOL

in my system of accounting one of the later cool moves pays back three yahoo moves. so i'm way ahead. some fun!

·
Registered
804 Posts
rone,

I agree that some people on the road have some strange urge to prove their dominance on the road. One way I'd like to discourage some of that behavior is modifying the exhaust on those trucks and the like. Generally they have an automatic transmission, so when they floor it, the bullet muffler is loud. I propose to make these bullet mufflers sound even more flautlent than they already do. Maybe a few would be embassassed into driving reasonably. It might be more effective than $2 a gallon gas.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
mufflers

I propose to make these bullet mufflers sound even more flautlent than they already do.
I doubt that would be effective. The plentitude of aftermarket exhaust kits - all of wich are designed to make the car louder - is proof that considerartion for your neighbors is not the primary concern of these drivers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: mufflers

Armin said:
I propose to make these bullet mufflers sound even more flautlent than they already do.
I doubt that would be effective. The plentitude of aftermarket exhaust kits - all of wich are designed to make the car louder - is proof that considerartion for your neighbors is not the primary concern of these drivers.
Kinda like bub rubb and the exhaust whistles that go WHOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: mufflers

Thorian said:
Armin said:
Kinda like bub rubb and the exhaust whistles that go WHOOOOOOOOO
HAHAHA
what a small world. i never would have though anyone here would know that

WOO-WOO!!!
da's only in da' mornin'!

·
Registered
804 Posts
So Much for an Attempt at Social Engineering

My attempt to give bullet mufflers a more embarrassing sound may not deter road warriors to change their ways. It would be nice to find the right button that would work on them and it's bound to involve ego.

I think these same people are going to hate fuel cell cars. Like the Toyota Prius at low speeds, they will be silent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts