Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working installing a hardwired dash cam in my 2010 LX. My kits comes with two fuse taps. Obviously I'd like to put them in the most minor spots possible. Anything that could mess with brakes, signals, or locks seems to be a bad choice.

One tap is supposed to be connected to a fuse that receives power when the car is off. Dome light sounds like a good bet for that. I think Honda labeled it "Small Light" so I'm going to try that first. I'm struggling with the other tap though. It's supposed to only get power when the car is running. I was thinking accessory outlet because I know the outlet itself turns off when the car is off but I heard someone in this forum say that the accessory slot is always powered and the actual power plug isn't.

Before going and buying a multimeter and learning how to use it, I figured I'd ask around here and see if anyone has experience/advice on this.

P.S. The dashcam kit has a voltage cutoff so that it doesn't drain the battery excessively.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
AFAIK the dome light (and, strangely, the IMA battery computers!) are on the auxiliary fuse.
I once shorted an under door light connector while installing LEDs and it blew the auxiliary fuse. The dome light,central locking AND the IMA system were all gone.
The car did drive though; idling at 1500 RPM and sluggish on acceleration. I drove straight to the dealership for a new fuse ;)

All other power lines should switch on contact. Good luck and show us the results!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I connected my dash cam to the power plug near the cupholders. That circuit is on when the key is on, that is the only connection I needed. You can download the electrical diagrams (pdf) from this forum. It is a little hard to navigate, but you are looking for a circuit that is hot at all times for your second tap. You do not need a multimeter, just a 12 volt light bulb and some wire will help you find a hot wire. The diagram book, page 11 tells how to do it. The under dash fuse box would be a good place to start. Also behind the radio is at least one wire that is hot at all times. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts