Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.. I know this is a crazy idea, but is there an ice cube's chance in hell that you could maybe swap out the "economy" motor out of an Insight and throw in say, a B18? I'm just playing around with the idea, don't take me seriously here but do you think it would be possible, and if so, has anyone done it or anything relatively close to it?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi SinisterCRX:

___Given the lightweight aluminum structure supporting one of the lightest ICE’s ever built, I would guess you could expect premature frame failure with anything weighing 50% or more beyond OEM stock if you could even get something else in there? Just guessing as anything can be gusseted up but you may as well buy something a lot faster right out of the box and hop it up as it would require a lot less work imho?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2fxu5lob][email protected][/email:2fxu5lob]

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't think anything is going to be plug-and-play, but with enough fabrication...anything is possible. I've already measured...looks like a B-series engine should just squeeze between the frame rails. :D

I dunno about longevity of the Insight after such mod, but my CRX came with a 76 hp (and could have had a 60 hp HF engine) and that was swapped out for a 170 hp B engine. Just turned over 35K miles so far and zero problems. I have been keeping an eye out for an Insight with a fried IMA system or battery pack. I have seen a few topping 120K miles, but still a bit expensive for an experiment/play toy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
While we are all dreaming, just imagine if it would be possible to install the engine and 6 speed tranny of a RSX type S.? And remove all the unnessary computers and battery pack. All of these items and the electric motor plus the gas engine/tranny. I would guess would weigh close to if not more than the larger gas engine/tranny. If you could get the frame and body to stay to together you would have a very fast car.
I believe that the the RSX type S weighs more than 2500 Ibs and a S2000 around 2600-2700 Ibs. Which would get you a better power to weight than either one of them. 1900Ibs/200hp = 9.50 ------Insight
2500Ibs/200hp = 12.50-----RSX type S
2600Ibs/240hp = 10.83 ----S2000

Signing out in Dallas #892

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you're going to swap an engine, at least put in something with potential...I have measured, and any of the 13B rotary engines from the '86-'92 RX-7 fit, and it looks like the new Renesis fits as well. Of course, transmission and mounting is your problem...If I was going that far (and I have a sick fantasy to find a wrecked Insight and install the 20B three rotor) I would just go rear wheel drive with a shortened Ford 9" rear end. Or, if you're looking for something that will handle, the torsion LSD from the new Miata.

But as mentioned, anything is possible with a plasma cutter, welder, and time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
could maybe swap out the "economy" motor out of an Insight and throw in say, a B18?
From a previous post (I don't remember which one) somebody has already transplanted a B series engine into an Insight. It was spotted at a tuner car show. From what I remember of the post the front right engine mount needs to be modified to mate up with the front engine mount. The rear mount is in the same place. I would guess all you would need is the ECM from that engine to replace the Insight unit. Course you might end up being terribly front heavy if you take out the battery packs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A B-series swap would be alot of work if only because it spins the wrong way compared to the insight power plant. I would look at the new K series engines first. Also plan on getting/fabbing stronger driveshafts and front springs.

Now if honda builds this, then there will be a good source of parts for those who want a fast insight with lots of space behind the seats.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd have an even better idea !
How about fitting the Insight (or even Civic IMA) Engine with all the electrics and high-tech into a 1983 CRX body........ or even into a 1975 CVCC Civic 8)

Anyone can fit a bigger engine in any car. But how about an economical engine into an old(-ish) car :shock:

·
Registered
89 Posts
swaps

K-series engine bolt-in swap kits for the Insight will probably be an eventual reality, and not in the very distant future either. You are not dreaming.

Just a couple of months ago, Brian G. of HAsport http://www.hasport.com

stated in a CRX discussion forum that the guys at HAsport are currently working on an Insight project with K-series engine power. He stated that he intended to show the car at the next SEMA event, and to bring with it a land speed record for the Insight.

Brian G./HAsport is not a b.s type, and eventually succeeds at all of their swap projects, so expect the same here. HAsport demonstrated their prototype B-series bolt-in kit for the 1G CRX back at CRXPO (a CRX Meet that I attended, which attracted 92 CRXes to Monterrey, CA) in '99. It was almost 1 year later that the complete bolt-in kit became a retail item, including engine/tranny mounts, shift linkage, custom-made axles, custom ECU wire harness, and Zdyne ECU, enabling the swap to be very simplified.

Expect that they'll eventually have an Insight bolt-in kit for the K-series engine, enabling a swap that any SAE mechanic should be able to complete.

Moreover, expect that people will be buying up used Insights with the sole intention of doing a K-series engine swap. Just as 2G CRXes (all models) are being bought up all over the country for the intention of an engine swap (mostly B-series and DOHC ZC), one can logically expect the same of the Insight's future as a used car, assuming that a HAsport bolt-in kit is made available.

Aaron, I do agree that it makes sense to put an engine in with potential. The 2 liter K-series engine from the current Japanese Domestic Market Integra (called RSX here) Type R puts out 220 PS/217hp, if I recall correctly. From an engineering standpoint, if would be alot easier to use this K20 instead of trying to convert to a format with a 13B from an '86-'92 RX-7.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A B-series swap would be alot of work if only because it spins the wrong way compared to the insight power plant.
Actually, the whole Insight engine is "backwards" with the exhaust coming out the back and intake on the front. But, mostly irrelevant if you swap the entire engine and transmission. I wouldn't expect the Insight transmission to hold up to any kind of serious power addition. That would be a huge reliability issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
no. 166,

I like your idea quite a bit and would love to transplant a insight engine et al into my little vx. I am sure it wouldn't be as gutless as the civic vx is now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
engine swap

Counselorkv, what's your definition of gutless? Fast???

The Civic VX had 92 hp if I recall correctly. Put a 73 hp engine/IMA to replace a 92 hp engine, and it'll be noticeably slower.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Personally I'd say everything after 1987 modelyear would be too heavy.

Does anyone here know the Honda 1300. The car that nearly killed Honda because of it's air-cooled engine and it's heat problems?? (the paint actually blistered off the hood because it got too hot !)
THAT car would be another ideal candidate for an IMA transplant !

.....if I only had the money :?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mitch

I guess I say "gutless" because it goes up hills at 35 when my little insight does the same hill at 60 or 65. It still cruises highways fine and still gets 50 to the gallon but I thought gas/electric would be cool.

It does feel a little heavy cause it is not all aluminum and plastic. :roll:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hehe, Civic IMA drivetrain in an Insight.

It could be a hybrid hybrid, or to confuse people Hybrid^2.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Oh ya, an Insight with a Civic IMA and Willie's turbo mod. Turbo Hybrid Civic or THC. :roll: :shock: naaaaaah.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Re: swaps

Mitch said:
Aaron, I do agree that it makes sense to put an engine in with potential. The 2 liter K-series engine from the current Japanese Domestic Market Integra (called RSX here) Type R puts out 220 PS/217hp, if I recall correctly. From an engineering standpoint, if would be alot easier to use this K20 instead of trying to convert to a format with a 13B from an '86-'92 RX-7.
True, but easy does not make cool...Why build a chopper out of a Peterbilt 16 litre diesel? Not because it's easy, but because it's wrong. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No. 166 said:
Personally I'd say everything after 1987 modelyear would be too heavy.
If you were speaking about the sheer weight of vehicles.. what about the 1988 Honda CRX Hf?

For all you Honda buffs (Hopefully someone knows what this car is), I'd like to take a 1966 Honda S800 and one of these engine's in it, it would rock. Don't you think?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I haven't exactly measured but it looks like a Civic IMA drive train would fit. I kind of wounder if you would even see much if any of a mileage hit. There are some more advanced technologies in the civic's engine that might cancel out the drop of added displacment.

And actually you might gain some storage space because the civic's electronics box is smaller I believe than the Insight's. Or you might just be able to use the same one thats already there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts