Honda Insight Forum banner

Future of the Insight

4883 Views 18 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  jonnoshore
I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet, but I thought some of you would be interested.

http://www.evworld.com/blogs/index.cfm? ... &archive=1

--------------------
It would be a safe bet to assume, I think, that the Insight will continue to be produced in small numbers until Honda has developed a successor that it is confident will keep its name at the top of those fuel economy lists. I suggested this to Lindstrom and he nodded his agreement.
--------------------
(From Bill Moore's blog)
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,526 Posts
"...25% efficent solar panels on the roof and hood..."

Bad idea if you bother to think it through :) It takes resources - materials, energy, money - to produce solar cells. (And the manufacturing process inevitably will produce some waste/pollution.) Logically, you want to maximize your return - the amount of energy produced - for that investment. Mounting them on a car is NOT the way to do that: The car's often in shade, or at a less than optimum angle to the incident sunlight. When you're not driving, they're charging batteries, so some of the energy is lost. They add weight & volume to the car, making it less efficient.

No, for best results, take the solar cells home and mount them on your roof so that they feed the electric grid all the time.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to the Solar Challenges, but the two solar-powered vehicles I'm most familiar with, Spirit and Opportunity, have logged a combined total of 7 miles or so in the last two years :)

"...but from a purely economic point of view it is probably better to just install better windows..."

Or to use the roof space for hot water and space heating collectors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.