Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Insight 5-Spd A/C MCBlue
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who's replaced their G1 clutch:
At what mileage did you do it or start experiencing slippage?
What clutch kit (OEM? Brand) did you pick?
Did you DIY it? (I've a lift and have done brakes and other light maintenance since 2001)

My 2001 G1 5-spd isn't slipping (yet?) but I've noticed, now at 65Kmiles, it engaging a bit higher at this point.
I'm the original owner, and have always treated the clutch (and gearbox for that manner) quite gently.

Data points welcome!
-igoeco2001

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
From what I have seen, they last a LONG time. Willie, the turbo insight guy, I believe gets about 150k miles out of his clutch? I don't want to speak for him, and I'm sure he will chime in, but I think I remember him saying something like that.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,545 Posts
OK Tim I'll respond. Around 150K on front brakes. Still have the original rear brakes on the vehicle. First clutch lasted over 340K, till the engine quit. Now at 464K on the speedometer with a used engine that had about 150K on it when installed. IIRR

·
Registered
929 Posts
I took the OEM clutch out at 175k to change to the HCH1 transmission. The clutch still looked to have another 100k left on it. Since everything was out and new clutch bought, I just put in the new Exedy clutch kit KHC11.

At 65k, I would think your clutch have another 40 years of life!

Old clutch

New clutch.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,085 Posts
not had a clutch issue yet. I've replaced a few, because I'm just in the habit of replacing the clutch if the transmission needs to come out. (and, your G1 transmission will need to come out)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Barring failure of other parts (IE leaking oil leading to oil contamination), wear-and-tear clutch life is completely dependent on the driver, driving style, and conditions. Two identical cars with different drivers and drive cycle, one might be shredded at 20k the other still going strong at 200k. Same story for the synchros.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
OK Tim I'll respond. Around 150K on front brakes. Still have the original rear brakes on the vehicle. First clutch lasted over 340K, till the engine quit. Now at 464K on the speedometer with a used engine that had about 150K on it when installed. IIRR
PPPPPFFFFFTTTTTT how was I SO far off hahahah.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
55 Posts
I don't know if my clutch has ever been replaced at 265k miles, but a month ago one of the clutch cylinders was leaking pretty bad and I replaced them both. Some bucking in reverse or starting from a stop but I think that might be more motor mount related than clutch or I could be wrong since it doesn't occur every time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know if my clutch has ever been replaced at 265k miles, but a month ago one of the clutch cylinders was leaking pretty bad and I replaced them both. Some bucking in reverse or starting from a stop but I think that might be more motor mount related than clutch or I could be wrong since it doesn't occur every time.
Check your clutch master for black residue externally from a slow leak. Check the rod adjustment. I cured what I thought was a bad 2nd gear synchro with new master, adjustment, and friction modified synchromesh.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
55 Posts
There was a lot of dark fluid stains and leak by the pedal. Been fine since it was replaced.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone who's replaced their G1 clutch:
At what mileage did you do it or start experiencing slippage?
What clutch kit (OEM? Brand) did you pick?
Did you DIY it? (I've a lift and have done brakes and other light maintenance since 2001)

My 2001 G1 5-spd isn't slipping (yet?) but I've noticed, now at 65Kmiles, it engaging a bit higher at this point.
I'm the original owner, and have always treated the clutch (and gearbox for that manner) quite gently.

Data points welcome!
-igoeco2001
If you are as easy on the clutch as you say that you are, then you will never need to replace it. The car is so light that they just don't wear. The only time that I did do a clutch replacement was at 400,000 miles, and the friction disc was identical in thickness to the new OEM Honda part that I replaced it with. There was a slight groove worn in the spring fingers of the pressure plate, but other than that, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it; I only did it since I had already taken it apart.

I'm currently at 483,000 on another Insight with its original clutch and it shows no signs of slippage. That one did, however, manage to break the pivot bolt for the clutch release arm, so I need to pull the transmission to fix that. When I do, I will not be messing with the clutch, but I will put in a new release bearing, in addition to the new pivot bolt.

If you are having clutch pedal height problems, they are more than likely hydraulic. Look at your fluid in the clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir and note its level, as well as its color. If it is low, then you have a leak; discolored (black) fluid indicates worn and deteriorating seals on the pistons in either the slave and/or the master cylinder. Considering the age, as well as the low mileage of your Insight, it has obviously sat around a lot; this can let rust form in the piston bores of the cylinders and damage the seals when you stroke the clutch pedal, so I would consider swapping out both the master and the slave cylinder. You can check for leakage of the master cylinder by shining a light up under the dash at the clutch pedal and look for fluid and gunk buildup around the master cylinder shaft at the firewall; for the slavecylinder you will have to remove the air intake snorkel and pull back the rubber cover that conceals the piston and check for fluid leaking. Squeeze the rubber boot on the end of the slave cylinder - if fluid appears, you have a leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts