Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are State Farm rates for a new policy with all discounts applied so high?
Bodily Injury / Property Damage; 250/500/100 $183
Medical Payments$5,000; $10
Comprehensive; $45
Collision w $250 deductible; $99
Uninsured Motorist; $48
$387 for 6 months or $66/ month. 10,000 miles per year for a 50+ year old male.
Dropping collision coverage saves less than $20/month
Should G1 be insured by another company? GEICO? Anyone with a suggestion?

My Forum search results were from over 10 years old.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
It's an all aluminum car with extremely low value that is almost certain to be totaled in even a minor scrape. It represents a financial and administrative burden - A fight with the owner about the value of a zero value 13 year old vehicle - the hassle of the buyback the owner will likely want to do, etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,882 Posts
Well, you could get rid of that $99 collision coverage. It isn't cost effective for a car that the insurance co. is going to try to total for $2000-2500. If you have a good driving record, the odds are on your side to drop that. I have carried collision on one car in my entire adult life, and I'm well ahead of the game. The uninsured motorist portion is rather high, but I suppose it is manditory - there are lots of uninsured motorists in TN.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone for Your Comments

Your responses are greatly appreciated. I will follow your recommendations and drop collision coverage. So, my rates are considered normal for a G1. It costs more to insure than a normal car. But as another member in a different post said; Driving a G1 is similar to playing a video game by trying to better your MPG and keeping the IMA alive. And is a lot more fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts