Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if this is listed elsewhere, but I cannot figure the correct search terms to find what I need.

I own a trouble-free G1, but have increasing difficulties getting into and out of the low-slung seats. I have been toying with the idea of buying a G2. I know that certain years have oil consumption issues, but other than that, I am clueless. I don’t even know if all the G2s use the same battery chemistry.

Anyway... Am I better off avoiding certain years? Should I try to find the latest years made and ignore the older ones? I implore you, please help to illuminate the inky darkness of my ignorance!

Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn’t sat in one, so I’m disappointed to hear that. I’m trying like heck to keep my butt out of an SUV. Don’t know if that’s going to be possible, though.

Don’t get old and arthritic, that’s the only advice I have!

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you're set on Honda have a look at the CRV line. That was my vehicle before I got my first Insight, a 2010 G2. They have decent fuel economy for a gas-only vehicle. Just pay attention to the CV transmissions in those cars, if fluid isn't changed regularly (with the correct Honda CVT fluid) it can negatively impact their life span.

The CRV seat height is much higher than a G1 insight. Not quite as high as an F250 for comparison, but I see a lot of little old ladies driving older Honda CRVs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
FWIW, the 2010-2015 Honda Fit shares the same platform with the 2nd gen Insight, but the seats are way higher so it is much more easy to get in and out of.

It is a pity the hybrid version did not make it to the states, as it is quite popular around here (named Jazz Hybrid). F.i. my next door neighbor has one; it is quite practical as the boot fits a folding wheelchair (and his wife can help herself in and out of the car). My 80 year old parents own one too, and so does my sister who has problematic knees.
But a non-hybrid Fit is no harder to access of course and still reasonably economical.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too late! It's all relative though. I can get in and out of my G2 OK. More or less. My problem isn't so much my advanced years, it's being tall and fat. :LOL:
Well... If there’s one good thing about my bad hips and knees it’s that they help me stay thin and exercise because more weight and less activity results in more pain. Thing is, it’s just certain movements that get me. I hardly hurt at all if I avoid them. I suppose I’ll be okay for a while longer, I was just sort of hoping.

All the same, I think I’ll go sit in one. Who knows, maybe something in the G2’s layout will give me an advantage!

·
Registered
36 Posts
All the same, I think I’ll go sit in one. Who knows, maybe something in the G2’s layout will give me an advantage!
You never know. For example, my left-leg sciatica cleared up after buying a G2 - no clutch pedal. I'm more than happy to put up with the car's little negatives as it's otherwise the best car I've owned in 44 years of driving, which is saying a lot. It's the only car I've had that has completely changed my attitude to driving and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The CVT in an Insight also requires regular fluid changes with real Honda fluid.
For the cheap, I mean fugal, the base CRV, in the current model, has the simple engine. The EX has a new direct injected engine that is nothing but trouble.
You could also check out an HRV, a four door Civic hatchback like vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 6'2" no problem getting in and out of front seat G2 2011. Back is a bit tougher for in and out. Front is easy in/out, but not as easy as an old Cadillac.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm 6'2" no problem getting in and out of front seat G2 2011. Back is a bit tougher for in and out.
I'm also 6'2" and it's do-able. Lots of seat/wheel adjustment available. My teenage son is 6'5" and can get in the front with the seat on the floor. He can get in the back too, but the complaining is way loud... :rolleyes:

I can't get in the back. My fused neck vertebrae won't allow it. Just as well I don't need to. 💀

·
Registered
7 Posts
If someone can substantiate with a receipt Honda put in a new short block you will be good.
Honda gave me new short block(free) and I have 275k on the car and 195k on the new engine!!!

·
Registered
2000 Citrus Insight 5MT
16 Posts
Thanks for the replies on this post. I actually also own a G1 and am looking to buy a G2 Insight. I need space for my two kids in the back! :)
Besides 2012-2013 models having possible oil consumption issues, are there any other issues that I should be aware of?
When are the G2 IMA batteries due for replacement (my G1 is on it's second battery)?
Any buyers advice is welcome as well :)

Kind regards from Belgium!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts