Honda Insight Forum banner

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
H-line isn't used by anything OEM... only when something is plugged into the OBDII port.

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
Hey everyone! Is the H-line used during driving or just HDS query?
In a stock car it is only used during HDS query.

In a car fitted with my OBDIIC&C it is used for both data gathering from the various computer modules and for passing control packets to the IMAC&C P&P inside the MCM if manual control is also fitted.

It was very considerate of Honda to fit that H Line for me all those years ago. ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm pretty sure my Autel MD-802 gets its IMA data from the H-line. It can read and log a ton of IMA parameters while driving in its live capture mode.

If the H-line is used for anything else, please follow whatever standard the MCM uses, so that it does not break existing tools. I don't know what protocol it is using, but it it were KWP2000 it would use that protocol and respond to its own address, and not use the bus except in response to a tester's commands.

Thanks!

·
Linsight Designer
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Peter thoroughly understands H-line. It's an address-based protocol, so all you have to do is pick an unused address and all the OEM devices will ignore the message. Peter can elaborate.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Peter thoroughly understands H-line. It's an address-based protocol, so all you have to do is pick an unused address and all the OEM devices will ignore the message. Peter can elaborate.
That's awesome.

·
Linsight Designer
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Prototype PCBs should be here Monday.
Received the last few other parts needed for the prototype this afternoon.
Therefore, I should be able to built the first PCB Monday evening, and should probably have the various subsystems verified by Wednesday at the latest (assuming nothing goes wrong).

Here's a video elaborating on the above:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF45n1CIWjw

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
@mudder most of this project goes way above my abilities. But I want to say that I've been following it, from the beginning. And this is really impressive. I hope to be purchasing one of these in the next year or two. Nice job!

·
Linsight Designer
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 · (Edited)
@Eli has procured numerous 18S modules (but no 12S modules) from the same source Battery Hookup received theirs from (Honda/Panasonic). Unfortunately, the modules Eli has (probably) do not have the BMS connectors installed, but he and I are dreaming up a solution to that problem as we speak (details to follow later).

Given that the 18S supply now greatly exceeds the 12S supply, it makes sense to configure all LiBCM systems to use the 48S configuration; 48S uses just QTY1 12S module, whereas 42S uses QTY2 12S modules.

So if you purchased a set of four modules from Battery Hookup (QTY2 12S & QTY2 18S), you now have QTY1 extra 12S module for each set you purchased. Based on my unofficial count last month, that means there are QTY16 'extra' 12S modules that can be used to create QTY16 more 48S packs (using Eli's ample 18S supply).

Therefore, I propose the following: The Battery Hookup price - with shipping - works out to $7.34/cell, which makes a 12S module 'worth' $88.03. I propose we sell our 'extra' 12S modules to Eli for $100, plus actual shipping costs. You would then ship the extra 12S module(s) in the (properly labelled) box it/they came in. Eli will then act as the middleman, combining your 'extra' 12S module with his ample (probably connectorless) 18S modules.

When Eli & I work out the technical details to add connectors back to the 18S modules, he'll be able to supply more 48S packs to the community.

This also means I can standardize LiBCM for use with a 48S pack, which makes my life slightly easier.

This begs the question: "what about 54S?"
As mentioned previously, the LiBCM PCB supports up to 60S, and given that Eli's 18S modules are (probably) connectorless, when we add the connectors back, we'll be able to do so at our own convenience. Therefore, it's entirely possible that a slightly-modified LiBCM PCB (with different connectors) could interface with QTY3 18S modules inside the OEM enclosure.

Note that fully charging a 54S pack will disable the OEM DCDC converter. Therefore, a 54S pack will not be able to be charged as fully as a 48S pack. To fully charge a 54S pack, you'll need to replace the OEM DCDC; Peter has previously worked out these details entirely. Of course, if you leave the OEM DCDC converter installed, you'll just need to set LiBCM's maximum cell charge voltage to no more than 4.00 volts.

To be clear, 54S is a future project that I won't even begin to work on until the initial 48S design is shipping. Hence my desire to conserve as many 'extra' 12S modules as possible (to maximize the number of cars we can convert to 48S). Whether or not you ultimately decide to sell your 'extra' 12S module to Eli, please conserve these precious 12S modules! Each one allows another Insight to go lithium!

·
Registered
173 Posts
So... is there going to be a "watch party" this afternoon as you unbox the PCB?

This is like waiting for Xmas morning when you know your folks brought home that "bike-sized" box.

·
Linsight Designer
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
It isn't live, but I did record the unboxing:
youtu.be/3KbATBCy3qE

Thru Hole footprints are all mechanically correct*:
youtu.be/IWiLC-nJ9Jg

All the individual signal pins do what they should do (at least at DC):
youtu.be/LlMlXTiYEsQ

*As mentioned in the video above, I somehow managed to swap the rows on the BCM connector electrically... Total noob mistake, but fortunately the prototype 'fix' is simple: I just swapped all the pins on the BCM connectors. So certainly there's going to be a revB, but the revA will almost certainly get me all the way through prototyping.

·
Linsight Designer
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
No updates today... got busy with a bunch of other things.

·
Registered
248 Posts
H-line isn't used by anything OEM... only when something is plugged into the OBDII port.
I haven't looked at the manuals/wiring in a few years, so correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember seeing a method for mcm/bcm to send ecm trouble codes other than the h-line. METSCI only visits mcm/gauge panel. Where are IMA trouble codes sent for DTC?

·
Administrator
12,776 Posts
I haven't looked at the manuals/wiring in a few years, so correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember seeing a method for mcm/bcm to send ecm trouble codes other than the h-line. METSCI only visits mcm/gauge panel. Where are IMA trouble codes sent for DTC?
There are two weird ultra slow comms lines between the MCM and ECM. (MOTFSA & B IIRC)
The error codes are relayed from the MCM to ECM on them.

·
Linsight Designer
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
@nasphere
MOTFSA is a 24 Hz clock.
MOTFSB is a 10b packet representing IMA status to ECM.
METSCI1&2 transfer data to the instrument cluster's IMA charge level, regen, and assist gauges.

221 - 240 of 269 Posts