Honda Insight Forum banner
461 - 480 of 567 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
If only I could run the SMT & solder pot afterhours so you didn't have to nuke your work area. I'll ask to see if that's possible.
If it's available, I'd love to use your solder pot... hand soldering all the thru hole stuff is slow, but manageable.

If you need to reduce bridging for the 0.65 pitch components, you can have the stencil fab house change the aperture design to have the same volume, but have greater spacing between deposits like this, and ~4mil stencils seem to work really well. If a stencil redesign might happen, Ping me, there might be other things to make this more robust.
We'll see how well the next build goes with leaded solder. I'm using a 5 mil stencil now... don't want to drop down to 4 mil, as that reduces the paste depth everywhere else, too. I'll play around with the aperture size is the lead reflow doesn't work out. On these beta units I'm just hand soldering the pads with lead, then sucking all the excess up with copper braid... also a chore, and won't be sustainable for production. I certainly wish LTC would make the 6804 in a wider-spaced footprint.

Hoping I can contribute somehow to this massive project. (Test drive looked awesome!)
I'm always down for help. I just uploaded the first instruction video on how people can help:

·
Linsight Designer
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 · (Edited)
Just starting RevB V&V:

Should be pretty quick to validate all the changes from RevA... except for that pesky MCM Conn'E' situation (discussed previously). Hopefully it doesn't take more than a few days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm always down for help. I just uploaded the first instruction video on how people can help:
Thanks for the detailed video! I'm definitely still interested in helping with the ribbon cable assembly, and might be able to come up with a trick or two to improve the process. I'll follow up with you on that.

·
Linsight Designer
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed video! I'm definitely still interested in helping with the ribbon cable assembly, and might be able to come up with a trick or two to improve the process. I'll follow up with you on that.
I'm always down for feedback from people that know what they're doing.

@mudder you need an assembly line party with multiple people to get the tasks completed quickly with fun
Right now I'm only building QTY5 beta hardware kits, but in production I agree it will be nice to outsource modular tasks.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Would love to help, but aside from cheering...one hand met a boat propeller and was re-attached only has a semi working finger, rest is for show, and the other hand has arthritis :(. I use really odd workarounds for wrenching :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Reminds me of a song, 25 bugs in the line of the code, 25 buggy lines, take one down, patch it around 99 bugs in the line of the code...I don't have the patience for coding but sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We definitely need a 2021 InsightFest…. So Mudder can reveal the Lithium BMS masterpiece!!!

Reactions: v-raze

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cool. Can’t wait till 2022!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Cool.

BTW, I'm planning a first rate meet, with lift, in MD for the fall - for those who feel deprived. I hope to be showing off the other alternative - LTO with Orion BMS. Sorry, a little off topic so please don't comment;)

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Lol, well, off topic as well, but if no one else does it first then I'll try my hand at a Florida event. Don't know the current situation with renting track time, it's gotten tight since IMSA/NASCAR bought the track, but maybe.

On topic content, I'm now all in on qty 4 18s. Hopefully get enough with correct quantity port and starboard +/- :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd probably be down for making some cables. I have all the tools needed except probably higher-quality dies for my ratcheting crimper. I always use a vise for those ribbon IDC's, though long ago I did a ton with just pliers, haha.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I Googled "Honda Lithium 12-cell" and I ran into this:

It's a tear-down of a 2014 Honda Accord hybrid. It looks like these cars have six 12-cell Lithium modules. Each cell is 110mm x 78mm x 16mm. Is that the same size as the G3 Insight cells? The modules have a different connector.

I don't know if this will help us in any way. Just throwing it out there. Maybe the frames could be used to make an 18 cell Insight module into a 12 cell pack.

·
Linsight Designer
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
I believe those are Blue Sky brand cells, which are similar. While the dimensions aren't identical, the contained volume is similar (138.4 cm^3 vs 137.3 cm^3). Here's a drawing I created for the cells used with LiBCM:

Someone should see if this Blue Sky pack will fit in the OEM battery compartment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It looks like they will not fit. The cells are about the same size as the G3 Insights, but the module is much taller (190 mm.) They must have some air channels or something that adds to the height.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
It's really fun to watch all of this coming together! Keep "dragging" on - I bet I am not the only who is raptly watching!👍

·
Linsight Designer
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
Sorry no updates... I've been busy building up QTY10 prototype PCBs and QTY6 complete kits for our (brave) beta testers. Still hoping to ship units tomorrow. That will depend on how quickly the "how to assemble LiBCM" video recording process goes today.

Note: Thanks for all the offers to help assemble cables. I'm in the weeds right now with these beta units... but after I get back from WI next week I'll formalize (and respond) to those that have PM'd me. This is a one-man-one-van operation right now, pending me hiring a technician. I'm also considering just contract manufacturing the entire PCBA through a stateside manufacturer. Lots of irons in the fire, as always.

461 - 480 of 567 Posts