Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
Were it just me, Jim, I wouldn't mind so much, but when it's your sweetheart... Well, you know how it is... After putting up with me all these years, I want her life to be as easy as possible.
Yeah, I know exactly. I have a second car for long trips, so my wife rides in that one.

Yes, that. They are wonderful:p

Reactions: Arbus

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
[Holds up hand in back]

If there are budget considerations, if you need a real back seat, if you would like the opportunity to travel cross country if needed while averaging 40+mpg, yet maintaining the capability of recharging at home overnight on 110v for 30-36 mi. of all-electric commuting (as in, we have right now over 3000 miles on the do since last we burned gas...), go look at a first-gen Volt.

GM's Moonshot is overlooked and dirt-cheap, reliable, comfortable, well-assembled, manufactured in large-enough numbers that parts won't be an issue anytime soon, and ticks off many, many of the same pluses EVs do... Yet you can fill up the tank and drive 400 miles anytime you feel like it. We love ours...

Reactions: Arbus

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
[Holds up hand in back]
There are no real budget constraints, that is, besides my refusal to pay full price for something that's lost half it's value the instant you sign the sales contract. And we really don't need a back seat. All the same...

I don't really like the newer Volts, but the older ones are appealing. They look sort of the same as a regular car, but difference. What year do you own? I see you live where snow is not a (usual) concern. I wonder how their bodies hold up in our northern winter salt?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've seen more than a few Volts (mostly 2nd gen?) with transmission and battery electronics problems. I was really excited by them when they first came out, but I've gotten an impression of less than stellar reliability.

Plus, the Hyundai gets something like 40-50% better fuel economy when running on gasoline.

·
Linsight Designer
2,068 Posts
Any i3 out of warranty will be a money pit that negates any possible gas savings you have in mind.
My neighbor has had one for several years and says he's spent zero dollars on maintenance. Obviously, though, it's a BMW, and they tend to rank poorly in reliability reviews, so maybe he's just been lucky. Is there a particular reliability issues with the i3 I haven't heard about?

My issue with the i3 is that it's absolutely ugly... even though you can buy a used i3 for under $10k, I never would because yikes, that styling.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
My neighbor has had one for several years and says he's spent zero dollars on maintenance. Obviously, though, it's a BMW, and they tend to rank poorly in reliability reviews, so maybe he's just been lucky. Is there a particular reliability issues with the i3 I haven't heard about?
Just from lurking around some of the i3 forums and reading all the issues people have with them. From what I understand, if you have the pure EV model, it's less complicated and not too bad. If you have the range extender, there are a lot more issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My issue with the i3 is that it's absolutely ugly... even though you can buy a used i3 for under $10k, I never would because yikes, that styling.
I read this, and thought: “What!?! Not possible!”. I grabbed my credit card and headed to Autotrader and quickly realized that I have been reading “i3” but actually thinking “i8”

So yeah, that makes my previous Tesla recommendation pretty poor!

With all that said, any electric car with < 200 miles range is a hard-no for my needs...... I will probably pick up a Tesla without the auto-pilot feature. Everyone who likes Tesla will tell you it’s a must-have, which in turn drives down the prices of those that were sold without it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So many thoughts and opinions. Very nice.

I looked closely at the g3 Insight, but it doesn't ring my bell. And the more I think about it, the more I lean towards ditching the ICE. If I want a 200+ range, that narrows my search considerably.

I could go the other way, I guess, since I drive so little, and buy myself a hard-top convertible, get 21 mpg, and the heck with it all. Better yet, get me a jeepster and not put up with any computer technology at all. It'd be nice to be able to adjust a carb with a screwdriver!

Reactions: jime

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Any i3 out of warranty will be a money pit that negates any possible gas savings you have in mind.
It's not gas savings... It's this:

For my eighth birthday, my parents gave me a kit to build a tiny electric car. It was nothing fancy. All wood except for a C-Cell holder, a switch, wires, and a tiny motor that friction-drove one of the rear wheels. The front wheels were angled so that, when it ran, it would go 'round and 'round in a circle about 5 feet in diameter. It wasn't fast, but it moved, and I had built it.

I was so proud that I took it to school to show everyone. The teacher indulged me and let us move our desks out of the way. I turned the car on and placed it on the floor. It took off, and the kids oo-ed and aa-ed. When I picked it up off the floor, I said that, someday, I would have a car that ran on batteries. Everybody, including the teacher, laughed at me.

So, before I drop dead, I want a car that runs on batteries!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been thinking, somewhat seriously, of buying a late-model used BMW i3 REx or Bolt.

Now, I know a number of you think all (recent) BMWs are expensive, crap-tastic money-pits. Heaven only knows what you think of Chevies.

Setting all that emotional stuff aside, people...

I do very little driving, anymore, a few thousand a year. And while my G1 continues on in it's stasis-like perfection, getting in and out of the car is getting difficult, especially for my sweetheart. That means my little car is used even less and I know that's not good for the battery. If I could get something a little more upright, like the i3 or Bolt, it would be used more often.

80% of the drives we take are less than 50 miles. We sometimes go about 120 at a stretch, and an occassional round trip of 250 miles that's exactly half highway, half 55mph. We own a great cruising car for any drive that's longer than that.

I figure my experience driving my Prius C and Insight makes it fairly certain that I'd get better-than-advertised miles out of any EV battery pack.

I've read and watched on-line reviews on the i3 and Bolt until I'm not learning anything new. Were these normal times, I'd have driven a couple of each, but I'm not doing that until This Stupid Virus Thing calms down.

Have any of you driven either of these cars? If so, what did you think?

Even if you haven't, what do you think?
I've been thinking, somewhat seriously, of buying a late-model used BMW i3 REx or Bolt.

Now, I know a number of you think all (recent) BMWs are expensive, crap-tastic money-pits. Heaven only knows what you think of Chevies.

Setting all that emotional stuff aside, people...

I do very little driving, anymore, a few thousand a year. And while my G1 continues on in it's stasis-like perfection, getting in and out of the car is getting difficult, especially for my sweetheart. That means my little car is used even less and I know that's not good for the battery. If I could get something a little more upright, like the i3 or Bolt, it would be used more often.

80% of the drives we take are less than 50 miles. We sometimes go about 120 at a stretch, and an occassional round trip of 250 miles that's exactly half highway, half 55mph. We own a great cruising car for any drive that's longer than that.

I figure my experience driving my Prius C and Insight makes it fairly certain that I'd get better-than-advertised miles out of any EV battery pack.

I've read and watched on-line reviews on the i3 and Bolt until I'm not learning anything new. Were these normal times, I'd have driven a couple of each, but I'm not doing that until This Stupid Virus Thing calms down.

Have any of you driven either of these cars? If so, what did you think?

Even if you haven't, what do you think?
Never too late for a yoga incursion. @ 68 I still put my fist into seat bottom center grab the wheel with left hand and swing my 6'3" in. Having said that will probably be attacked by a necrotizing fasclitis next week.
Do sell your G1 here if not turning it into a garden monolith adjacent gnomes...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I do martial arts and so am in reasonable shape. But the arthritis doesn’t care about that very much. And my sweetheart, it’s all in the knees. Yoga’s not too good at those.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bit late to the party, but...

My car is a 2019 BMW i3 REx. My fiancee drives a gen1 insight

I like the i3, but I cannot recommend anyone ever purchase one. Leasing is fine if it fits your financial needs (heck, it's dirt cheap if you lease it). They tend to be very reliable as long as the 12v is replaced regularly, but the a/c unit is an Achilles' heel.
  • The Air Conditioning unit is covered by the factory warranty and in some cases CPO/third party warranty
  • The Battery has its own warranty.
  • If the A/C unit dies, it has the potential to destroy the battery, and in that case neither warranty covers the battery.
There are a few other people who've ended up with expensive bricks because various modules have failed, each costing more than a replacement vehicle.

There's also a significant problem with the roof - the roof is carbon fiber and unpainted, and UV exposure causes failure in the long term.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Extremely useful information. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do martial arts and so am in reasonable shape. But the arthritis doesn’t care about that very much. And my sweetheart, it’s all in the knees. Yoga’s not too good at those.
By the time i'm 80+ don't expect to be more than a crumpled piece of aluminum foil.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts