Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
By the time i'm 80+ don't expect to be more than a crumpled piece of aluminum foil.
-smile-

"Had I known I was gonna last this long I woulda taken better care of myself."
--- Almost Every Old Guy I Know ---

·
Registered
147 Posts
I replaced my Insights with a 2013 Volt. It had 159k miles. I paid $2,400 for it and put $1k into repairing it. The previous owner hit a deer. It was mostly cosmetic other than the front radiator. I also replaced the headlight, blinker, bumper cover, fender and hood. The only "major" repair I've done was replace the water pump because it was leaking while using the engine. I know have 177k miles and have averaged 90 mpg during my ownership. I've super happy with my Volt. Now it really depends on your daily commute and ability to plug in at work. My commute is 55 miles daily and I'm able to plug in most days.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Now it really depends on your daily commute and ability to plug in at work. My commute is 55 miles daily and I'm able to plug in most days.
I have no commute 'cause I'm an old, retired guy. One of the reasons I'm thinking about a different vehicle is that I drive so little and I don't wish the battery go wonky and I'm thinking pure EV with a more modern battery chemistry so I don't have to deal with the ICE.

Maybe I'll wait a couple years and get one of these: Isetta Is (Still) Coming Back as an Electric Car (msn.com)

Would blend in better than a G1... NOT!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, Manual with AC
20 Posts
I sold my 2015 i3 REX this past summer. Had it for 1-1/2 or 2 years. Paid $19k for a 3 year old $55k car just off lease with 15,000 miles. Sold it for $15k. Nice ride, the acceleration is nice. Have to go to the gas station even less than the Insight. I'd run it down to use up the gas every 3 months just to keep it fresh. Oil change once a year. Tires lasted 18K miles and there is exactly one tire on earth that fits and there's no good deals. Had a few issues, under warranty first year I had it. A few months later the 12V battery crapped out. Dead as a doornail, like a depowered spacecraft. Too high tech for me to even be able to figure out the problem. Flatbed to the dealer. $500 for a new 12Vstart battery that looks the size of one in a lawnmower. I moved to the country with much greater distances to travel so I sold it, although being raped at the dealer was really the determining factor. It completely soured me on BMW's. I swore (for the second time now) that I'll never buy another BMW. Pretty happy with my Insight even though she's got a lot of miles and her interior and exterior are pretty trashed. Reliable and her problems have been easily fixable so far. At ~70 mpg, don't feel I am going to go back to electric anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Article a day or so ago said that the new version of the Bolt had driven the new car price of the previous version below $20,000.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Article a day or so ago said that the new version of the Bolt had driven the new car price of the previous version below $20,000.
Yeah... Just saw a 2017 with 40k miles at $12k.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I’m West-Side Cleveland....... I buy cars as commuters....... If I can’t drive it everyday in the winter, I’m ok with that! Would like an AWD Tesla (actually would like a cybertruck but I know most hate them)
Read in today’s New York Times “in China an electric car company looses money but thinks big”

41 - 47 of 47 Posts