Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my G1 insights drivers side window seems to have an agenda of it's own... It slows down/ works intermittently from time to time. It's been doing this for a while now, the passenger side too. So I'm just wondering if it's more of a mechanical, electrical, or design flaw probelm for the insight. I was reading other posts and it seems someone on the forum "mudder" made a 3D printed shim thing for the insight to fix this problem? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks -Eli

·
Super Moderator
8,490 Posts
There seem to be several afflictions which affect the smooth operation of the windows. I had a driver side window which acted identical to yours. I scratched my head a long time before klr3cyl and Bull Dog helped me isolate the issue to a broken wire in door wiring harness. Since the wiring harness flexes every time the door opens, it makes sense that the driver's door might develop this issue at some point. It is intermittent since the broken wire ends sometime make contact. If you take the inside door trim off, then you can measure the voltage across the two window motor wires and detect this failure. You can also "jump" the two motor wires with a separate 12V battery and some test leads to see if it operates properly when the harness and the window switch are bypassed. That was the final confirmation in my case.

Of course the window switch might also be bad as might the window tracks in the door. Sometimes just lubricating the tracks with some silicon lube will free up a window and eliminate drag and slowness. With the intermittent operation I'm betting on a broken wire in the harness:unsure:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Loosen up the middle track ,lower the window enough to remove the window, and remove the window. Than clean the window and lube the track. The window gets really dirty below the frame rail and heat in the summer melts the rubber sometimes on the window causing a drag or sticking failure making you think the motor or switch is failing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had a similar issue in the past and I simply just greased the track and channels with silicone grease. Now my windows have VTEC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for replying so late. But I will deffintly check out the wiring harness as I do think that could be it. And deffintly grease the tracks because having vtec windows sounds sick. I'd be surprised if it one of those two dosnt fix it. But I'll be back if so. Apreciate all the help as always Thanks - Eli

1 - 8 of 8 Posts