Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at getting a better mpg highway vehicle. I had an insight in the past with an hch transmission and really miss it. I've also stumbled upon what looks like the highest mpg current manufactured car that runs on 87 octane. The Ioniq was made since around 2017 so they're not extremely expensive but definitely more than most G1 insights. I think a G1 would still get better mpg for what I'm using it for but I'm not sure if it would be much of a difference. The Insight being a manual and modifiable would be more fun to drive and own but the Ioniq would probably be more practical due to being a four door. I guess right now I'm trying to decide between the two. I do plan on having at least two vehicles and my current vehicle is going away.

I drive a lot in the southwest, like obscenely a lot. I drive about 75k miles a year minimum and that could stretch to 125k especially if I get a co-pilot. I typically drive 8mph over the speed limit and drive for making time vs mpg. The most challenging part of my drive is probably going to Blackhawk Colorado which goes through 11k foot passes at speeds up to about 73 mph with 7% grades. I think with the right gearing the G1 can handle this just fine especially with a fresh hybrid battery. I'm planning on running a HCH case with HCH 1st and 2nd Honda Fit 3rd and 4th insight 5th and Insight final. I'm thinking insight final because I run 88mph through Utah where it's 80 so that's already going to be decently high rpms.

From looking on the forums the Ioniq gets real world about 44 at 85 mph and about 51 at 75 mph. Better than a Prius but I would think a G1 could beat that by some margin.

What could I reasonably expect an insight to get mainly running at higher speeds, seems like I most commonly go 83?

I'm probably having two cars at least with how much driving I do so I always have a backup. Would it make more sense to have a G1 for the summer and then switch to an Ioniq during the winter vs having two G1 insights? I was thinking if I have two insights I'd have one really nice one for summer and then a good runner for winter that would probably have an HCH final drive since winter tires are harder to turn and I'd have 1 inch spacers in the back. Those helped a lot when I had my G1 and was living in Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Id say. Get a G1 insight if you really like them and want to be cool like us, get the ionic if you want a newer car than the g1 and you can accept driving a granny tranny automatic. Maybe get a hyundai elantra or ~ 05 civic non hybrid if you want to avoid the further complications of battery packs. I had a hyundai elantra as a rental car... and on flat highways... it was telling me i was getting 50 mpg on the highway going almost 70 mph. The Elantra has aerodynamic geometry and it has a small ? cross sectional or planform? area... because it is small and low to the ground

In a stock G1 at 80 mph, i think you get 45 mpg or less. With the aero mods... maybe 52 mpg at 80 mph..

Would anyone agree with this next statement??

- A hybrid is not useful for achieving higher efficiency for a highway car vs a non hybrid.

Theoretically, the only things that determines your efficiency when traveling at constant highway speed, are aerodynamics, tire losses, and drivetrain losses.

While we all think hybrids are cool because really smart japanese guys made these things... The only net positive of these cars over an efficient gas powered car does not exist yet on a highway setting... (obviously regen for stop and go driving, or on winding roads is a benefit) ....The acutal positive we could get w hybrids would be a small solar cell on your roof that makes like 200+ watts of free power. Else if you had say... a 3+ killowatt hours battery pack... you could grid or solar charge at home to have 3 killowatt hours of extra free power. But the standard G1 batterypack only holds 0.6 killowatt * hours even when brand new. So this plus side would be gone quickly if you are taking a long trip.

We all respect honda machines. I think it would be fair to say that the Koreans are on par with the japanese currently, when you factor in that Korean cars are more affordable. Because we love machines on this forum.... lets cheer on the Japanese, the Koreans, and Americans ... to give us the efficient and durable machines that we desire.

If you want to do the mods... you will be able to get near 70 mpg on the highway w the g1 at 62 mph. And youd have to do.... the belly pan, the warm air intake, the clutch switch, the partial grill block, maybe the mirror delete.

Unless you're a good mechanic... you probably want a second car to back up your insight.

A manual insight is much more fun to drive than any toyota or hyundai. Especially double clutching into 2 going around a bend. And that 10 kw motor really knocks your neck back a bit as the torque sets in instantly.

That's awesome you had a HCH transmission and you figured out you could put various honda gears in it. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you need a 4 door that gets great mileage and want a stick, a Jetta TDI is hard to beat. Specifically the 5th gen.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,220 Posts
@hondarider90 . Just got home from picking up a 2020 Ionic PHEV Limited. I turned in my 2019 Volt.
I drove the Ionic 911 miles in two days. My last stretch today was from Syracuse NY to Detroit. With all electric depleted I got 55.1 mpg (according to dash gauge) and drove 75 all day. I'm happy with the car.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean a battery with 5 year warranty is under 500 per year. $500 per 100k miles is less than the difference between diesel and 87 usually

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Volkswagon usually has Audi reliability and Audi parts and labor costs, not a great choice for 100k a year

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
55 is really good for the PHEV one, I remember hearing they do worse on the highway because of the extra weight.

·
Registered
407 Posts
With regard to G1 gas consumption at freeway speeds, I just drove form Sacramento to Santa Barbara Ca today through Santa Clarita. In other words all high speed freeway. On this trip I did not hypermile. I hyper speeded. Between 80 and 95 mph all the way as I worked my way thru and past the groups of cars and trucks, 500 miles. I slowed down and speeded up constantly. I hit 100 a couple times. I was in a hurry. I averaged for that tank of gas 50 mpg.
The previous day from Port Orford Or to Sacramento via 101, 299 over the Coastal mts. And freeway from Redding to Sacramento, same driving style but necessarily slower speeds, averaged 53+ mpg. All in a stock G1 in very good condition with newer Vredestein tires at 50 psi.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mountains are hard on a stock transmission especially with veredesteins, I lost some performance with mine

·
Registered
641 Posts
I drive a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Base (with options). Wasn't expensive to buy, used, and you can get earlier models (down to 2014) for even less. Reasonable looking. Comfortable. Big inside. Modern safety and electronics. Back seats do not fold down, in case that's important. I don't have anyplace nearby where I can drive 83mph over long distances without being ticketed, but I'd bet it would be close to your mpg goal. Mrs. @Rainsux drives a newer model, perhaps her husband can chime in on their numbers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a G1 and just took a trip from CA to AZ and back that had large chunks approximating the OPs use-case. Fast and uphill: averaged about 47MPG over about 3000 miles.
On the longer climbs at higher speeds I wasn't quite able to keep my speed even turning the A/C off so did pay a couple hours of time at least over what the same drive would have taken in my old Saab.
To be fair, while the car has some aero mods the tires I have on the car are NOT energy efficient, not crazy big or anything, just a little large and cheap compound (I didn't buy them). I did the math and figured it was cheaper to drive on these tires to wear them out rather than replace them, but they rob some power so perhaps that would make the difference.
The lack of cruise control is also something to consider. You can add a kit but it's a bit of a pain.
A second person will definitely hurt your performance in a G1.
The rear wheel spacing is also a problem, at high speeds some of the highway with siped concrete and construction going on the vehicle wasn't as stable as I'd have liked.
After the trip I decided it was time for a different car for trips like that.
With the right tires, cruise control, some noise deadening, and either a lithium conversion or a turbo (or both) I think it might beat out all-comers, but you can do almost as well just buying a newer car. Of course, you could pay to have all that done to a G1 and still have money left over compared to the newer car...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The stock gearing is just too far apart for mountains. With an hch transmission it probably would have been able to keep speed. Mine wouldnt even utilize second gear but that was red mountain pass in Colorado with a passenger, no ima and partially clogged cat lol. Hch transmission is night and day for keeping them in the right rpms.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight MT
20 Posts
Id say. Get a G1 insight if you really like them and want to be cool like us, get the ionic if you want a newer car than the g1 and you can accept driving a granny tranny automatic. Maybe get a hyundai elantra or ~ 05 civic non hybrid if you want to avoid the further complications of battery packs. I had a hyundai elantra as a rental car... and on flat highways... it was telling me i was getting 50 mpg on the highway going almost 70 mph. The Elantra has aerodynamic geometry and it has a small ? cross sectional or planform? area... because it is small and low to the ground

In a stock G1 at 80 mph, i think you get 45 mpg or less. With the aero mods... maybe 52 mpg at 80 mph..

Would anyone agree with this next statement??

- A hybrid is not useful for achieving higher efficiency for a highway car vs a non hybrid.

Theoretically, the only things that determines your efficiency when traveling at constant highway speed, are aerodynamics, tire losses, and drivetrain losses.

While we all think hybrids are cool because really smart japanese guys made these things... The only net positive of these cars over an efficient gas powered car does not exist yet on a highway setting... (obviously regen for stop and go driving, or on winding roads is a benefit) ....The acutal positive we could get w hybrids would be a small solar cell on your roof that makes like 200+ watts of free power. Else if you had say... a 3+ killowatt hours battery pack... you could grid or solar charge at home to have 3 killowatt hours of extra free power. But the standard G1 batterypack only holds 0.6 killowatt * hours even when brand new. So this plus side would be gone quickly if you are taking a long trip.

We all respect honda machines. I think it would be fair to say that the Koreans are on par with the japanese currently, when you factor in that Korean cars are more affordable. Because we love machines on this forum.... lets cheer on the Japanese, the Koreans, and Americans ... to give us the efficient and durable machines that we desire.

If you want to do the mods... you will be able to get near 70 mpg on the highway w the g1 at 62 mph. And youd have to do.... the belly pan, the warm air intake, the clutch switch, the partial grill block, maybe the mirror delete.

Unless you're a good mechanic... you probably want a second car to back up your insight.

A manual insight is much more fun to drive than any toyota or hyundai. Especially double clutching into 2 going around a bend. And that 10 kw motor really knocks your neck back a bit as the torque sets in instantly.

That's awesome you had a HCH transmission and you figured out you could put various honda gears in it. Cheers mate.
I'm not sure I'd call it a granny tranny, the ioniqs have dual clutch transmissions

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
I drive a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Base (with options). Wasn't expensive to buy, used, and you can get earlier models (down to 2014) for even less. Reasonable looking. Comfortable. Big inside. Modern safety and electronics. Back seats do not fold down, in case that's important. I don't have anyplace nearby where I can drive 83mph over long distances without being ticketed, but I'd bet it would be close to your mpg goal. Mrs. @Rainsux drives a newer model, perhaps her husband can chime in on their numbers.
Ours is a 2020 HAH Touring. My wife mostly drives it. When I drive it around town I get 50+. Our one road trip got us 48.3. A 120mi trip in the mountains with 4 people and using the AC got us 54.5. This car doesn't give lifetime average, but Fuelly says 46.0 for 3,759 miles.

The heater uses coolant, so it keeps starting the engine to circulate the coolant. The AC is electric, so it doesn't cause as big a hit. Like Arbus said, it's a big, comfortable, smooth car and has all the new toys. I love this car!

Sam

Reactions: Arbus

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
51 Posts
So I've only really done two long highway trips, 700 miles from north of Sacramento to the Mexico border then back. Flat aside from the grapevine really. 5-10+ the speed limit the whole time and I was doing about 55 mpg average. Another short one up to Oregon and a good mix of freeway / hilly 45mph back roads. Did about the same then if a tad worse however I have a good battery to help with the hills I came across. Fully loaded both times with me, the 90lb rottweiler in shotgun, and cargo.

The manual is nice but automatic with cruise control can be foot saving on those longer ones. My only issue was my right ankle would hurt after holding the throttle for 4 hour intervals all day. Until then, I've never seen the need for cruise control.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Last October I did San Diego to Tucson (sleep) then to Houston (~1500 miles) in 28 hrs. All highway speeds +5-10 vs. posted with AC on full and IMA battery disconnected...

Only 2x did I have to downshift to 3rd on a couple of grades and still eked out 51mpg for the entire trip.

I have CC on my CVT & whilst I like it here with the long flat roads of Texas, it is rudimentary vs what you get with current vehicles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
SD to Hou was in the 06 5MT. We joked about taking the CVT there & caravanning back, but didn't have the time off from work to do that. Would have been a perfect comparison betwixt efficiencies.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts