Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah, I'm heading out here in a little bit to get one in San Jose CA. Going to mod it even more than my last one. Front and rear springs, already has rear. Maybe gaz shocks definitely if either is weak. A8 seats, different visors (the ones on my matrix slide back and forth to cover the whole area) 40% current hack and c&c along with fresh battery, "mutant transmission" as bulldog affectionately named his idea basically hch 1st and second fit first gen 3rd and 4th and insight final and 5th most likely, tint, full size spare, poly bushings for the rear, trying to justify Volk rims but doubt I'll do that

·
Registered
411 Posts
Something I remember reading in a review years back. Was about the fact that G1 s are set up with 0 degrees toe in. Which is one reason they are a bit squirrelly on the straightaway. It is yet another adjustment to reduce friction loss. Never bothered me much. But I can certainly see how it could be disconcerting to someone used to the stability of modern milk toast cruisers.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,474 Posts
In my experience, the squirrelly manner of the G1 is caused mainly by the rear track being less than the front and the "rain grooves" they put in the freeways here in Ca. I cured most of the squirrelly manner just by installing 1/8 or 1/4 in. spacers (can't remember which) behind the rear wheels. IMOO

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think it's more to do with bushings failing. My new 77k mile car doesn't do that and I dont believe it's widened in the back. My 250k mile car was widened 2 full inches and was still horrible

·
Registered
411 Posts
You have point Willie. I am in fact down here in so cal squirreling around on freeway rain siping. Carbide winter tire stud troughs in northwest freeway pavement does somewhat the same thing. On smooth pavement my 70,000 mi insight tracks a quiet straight line.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Try it when they grind the surface down to re-blacktop. On my trip back from San Diego, I-10 through NM was horrible... road noise x10 and like driving atop marbles.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I drove it on some **** roads, very planted and very unfussy, deafeningly loud. I gotta find a shop that specializes in sound deadening. That's the one riding aspect I never fixed on my red before it was totaled. It had full rear suspension and front control arms done but never any sound deadening added.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I'm looking at getting a better mpg highway vehicle. I had an insight in the past with an hch transmission and really miss it. I've also stumbled upon what looks like the highest mpg current manufactured car that runs on 87 octane. The Ioniq was made since around 2017 so they're not extremely expensive but definitely more than most G1 insights. I think a G1 would still get better mpg for what I'm using it for but I'm not sure if it would be much of a difference. The Insight being a manual and modifiable would be more fun to drive and own but the Ioniq would probably be more practical due to being a four door. I guess right now I'm trying to decide between the two. I do plan on having at least two vehicles and my current vehicle is going away.

I drive a lot in the southwest, like obscenely a lot. I drive about 75k miles a year minimum and that could stretch to 125k especially if I get a co-pilot. I typically drive 8mph over the speed limit and drive for making time vs mpg. The most challenging part of my drive is probably going to Blackhawk Colorado which goes through 11k foot passes at speeds up to about 73 mph with 7% grades. I think with the right gearing the G1 can handle this just fine especially with a fresh hybrid battery. I'm planning on running a HCH case with HCH 1st and 2nd Honda Fit 3rd and 4th insight 5th and Insight final. I'm thinking insight final because I run 88mph through Utah where it's 80 so that's already going to be decently high rpms.

From looking on the forums the Ioniq gets real world about 44 at 85 mph and about 51 at 75 mph. Better than a Prius but I would think a G1 could beat that by some margin.

What could I reasonably expect an insight to get mainly running at higher speeds, seems like I most commonly go 83?

I'm probably having two cars at least with how much driving I do so I always have a backup. Would it make more sense to have a G1 for the summer and then switch to an Ioniq during the winter vs having two G1 insights? I was thinking if I have two insights I'd have one really nice one for summer and then a good runner for winter that would probably have an HCH final drive since winter tires are harder to turn and I'd have 1 inch spacers in the back. Those helped a lot when I had my G1 and was living in Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance
I got a 2017 Ioniq and have no regrets. It is much more comfortable than my former 2001 Insight, gets excellent millage without any effort (recent trip from VA to NYC got 58mpg). Of course it isn't as much fun as the Insight but interactive cruse control and all manner of warning systems make it far safer. If I drove as much as you I would definitely go Ioniq, I haven't had any problems to speak of and even new it was reasonably priced, used I imagine even better.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I’m driving north on Ca 395. That ! Road was made for insights. And yes the best thing I have done yet for my insight besides visiting Scott’s shop was extensively sound deadening it

·
Registered
2001 M/T Honda Insight
62 Posts
So I'm looking at getting a better mpg highway vehicle. I had an insight in the past with an hch transmission and really miss it. I've also stumbled upon what looks like the highest mpg current manufactured car that runs on 87 octane. The Ioniq was made since around 2017 so they're not extremely expensive but definitely more than most G1 insights. I think a G1 would still get better mpg for what I'm using it for but I'm not sure if it would be much of a difference. The Insight being a manual and modifiable would be more fun to drive and own but the Ioniq would probably be more practical due to being a four door. I guess right now I'm trying to decide between the two. I do plan on having at least two vehicles and my current vehicle is going away.

I drive a lot in the southwest, like obscenely a lot. I drive about 75k miles a year minimum and that could stretch to 125k especially if I get a co-pilot. I typically drive 8mph over the speed limit and drive for making time vs mpg. The most challenging part of my drive is probably going to Blackhawk Colorado which goes through 11k foot passes at speeds up to about 73 mph with 7% grades. I think with the right gearing the G1 can handle this just fine especially with a fresh hybrid battery. I'm planning on running a HCH case with HCH 1st and 2nd Honda Fit 3rd and 4th insight 5th and Insight final. I'm thinking insight final because I run 88mph through Utah where it's 80 so that's already going to be decently high rpms.

From looking on the forums the Ioniq gets real world about 44 at 85 mph and about 51 at 75 mph. Better than a Prius but I would think a G1 could beat that by some margin.

What could I reasonably expect an insight to get mainly running at higher speeds, seems like I most commonly go 83?

I'm probably having two cars at least with how much driving I do so I always have a backup. Would it make more sense to have a G1 for the summer and then switch to an Ioniq during the winter vs having two G1 insights? I was thinking if I have two insights I'd have one really nice one for summer and then a good runner for winter that would probably have an HCH final drive since winter tires are harder to turn and I'd have 1 inch spacers in the back. Those helped a lot when I had my G1 and was living in Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance
If you don't mind a hybrid, money isn't an object, and you want a reliable vehicle to last you beyond 200k miles - the '19 - '21 Toyota Corolla Hybrid does the trick phenomenally. Either that or a newer Prius. Ioniqs are economical and all but be prepared to shell out for a brand new tranny past around 180-200k miles.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Eric, if you're really good at sound deadening I might have to try out your car. Could end up wanting to commission the job of it makes as much of a difference as you say.

·
Registered
411 Posts
HR when you are in Portland, by all means try it out. As for doing it for you, I have now done two and won’t do another. However many car stereo shops do it. The trick is to find one you can work with to make sure they cover as much aluminum as possible. Strip the whole interior. Cover everything reachable with Dynamat or equivalent. Including the shock towers in the engine bay and stuff all voids with polyfill. It’s possible Scott would do it. He has driven my car and could tell you what he thinks too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
He said it was nicer but he wasnt really focusing on that since you were in for repairs. It sucks I missed you by about an hour and the turbo k sight by a few hours but not much could be done. Seller wasnt available until 8am and San Jose is far.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts