Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are 304 threads with the word "cover" I thought this might be a better way to organize/get some install tips.

My seat covers are were redone with a different-than-OEM fabric by the PO. Tiny hole was forming in driver's bolster when I bought the car so I've been hunting replacements. Found some good ones individually (needed a set even though passenger side is perfect...so they will match) for about $115 total. All should arrive tomorrow and I'm prepping to install after a cycle in the washing machine/dryer.

I watched the infamous @Bull Dog video on removal. Anyone have tips for reinstall? I plan to use zip ties as I have some on hand and that seems to work for many. Any other install tips would be awesome. IIRC the back not the bottom is interchangeable.

THANKS.

Jeff

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
403 Posts
Don't cinch the zip ties up absolutely tight. If you do, it pins the fabric and the cover can't float. You'll pull the seams apart eventually if you do them up tight. No tighter than a pencil diameter. Trust me on this one.

After cutting the excess zip tie off, rotate the tie so as to bury the bulky end in the foam.

Before fitting the cover, use steam on the cushions to plump them up and restore some cushiness (I've not done this yet, but seen it done on at least two car resto shows and it looks to be one of those "secret" tricks of the trade).

I remember reading to air dry the covers and not put them through the dryer. Can't say whether that is sound advice, since I haven't yet done Insight seat covers.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! My other seat cover (I bought them separately on here/CL) arrived today, got it cleaned up, hoping to install when it's not 31 degrees here...which may be a few weeks!

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Instead of zip ties, you could just buy hog ring pliers and do it the right way... With everything being so cheap these days thanks to eBay and Amazon, there really isn't an excuse.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got hog rings (called "pig rings") at my local Tractor Supply for $4.79/hundred.

Already have the hog ring pliers. I'll use hog rings when I remove and launder my seat covers.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Last time I did this, I concluded that the result wasn't worth the effort. Likely good, worth it, as a one-time thing, such as when buying a used Insight (as if you could buy a new one). Thereafter a more appropriate alternative might be to buy a bottle of spot remover and use that. There are a couple at Lowe's or whatever that work really well. I can't remember the names. One's pink stuff, the other is a Zep product. But either worked surprisingly well at removing spots and stains.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the recommendations. I might go the hog ring route we'll see. Gonna wait for a warmer day so it may be a week or more. I have a zillion zip ties so I might do that instead.

I agree spot cleaner is the way to go. I'm replacing my seat covers though so this is necessary. Honestly though I don't see removing them again once this is done.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Except you can't steam plump the cushions then.
Good point. Never tried that. Not sure I'd be able to tell if I need to do that or not...

Was suggesting the 'spot remover' thing mainly as a possible alternative to a complete wash. I wasn't aware of the effectiveness of such spot removers last time I did a full wash, which full wash did not remove the dirty spots. The spot remover would have, and would have been all I needed had I known it existed.

·
Super Moderator
5,222 Posts
1. Wash them in the washing machine and let them air dry.

2. Use zip ties to reinstall them.

This has always worked well for me.

Sam

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recently removed and washed all the seat covers. Look for my post.

I recommend air doing and possibly soaking in washer overnight in shampoo. One of my replacement covers had to come from a smoker. No smells at all now after second wash.

Super cheap to get the angled hog ring tool and a bag of hog rings. You'll see them all as you snip them. Be very careful with the front of the chair Frame under the thighs as it is thin.

·
Super Moderator
5,222 Posts
Anything leather will be aftermarket. There are very few sets around. I doubt if you'll ever see a set in a junkyard. You can probably find a new set if you search.

Sam

·
Registered
403 Posts
Lseat.com has leather seat skins for Honda Insight 2000-2006. $349. Don't know whether that is per seat, or for the pair. Assuming per seat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lseat.com has leather seat skins for Honda Insight 2000-2006. $349. Don't know whether that is per seat, or for the pair. Assuming per seat.
I heard there are other Honda models (s2000?...) that are either direct or require minimal mod leather replacements.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What are we talking about here? Bolt in wholesale replacement of the actual seats, or simply recovering the existing Insight seats?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts