Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Capacity is comparatively small to the LTO setups, however the price and physical size are a plus. Allows one to budget for a BMS.

One possibility may be to try and work the 20-80% SOC range, while pushing close to the max 220V limit of the DC-DC converter, along with the appropriate hacks, less the current hack in order to preserve valuable capacity. Just one thought.

Curious what discussion this might spur from those with LTO and other lithium G1 experience.

**Edit spelling

·
Administrator
12,625 Posts
Incredibly cheap bargain way to build a pack! (y)
Somebody in the US should def get a set for testing/evaluation.

As you say upping the voltage would be a nice simple power gain without current hacking.
10$ BCM Fooler and a 50 cent VPIN resistor and you are good to go.

All four blocks would be too high a voltage.
2x18 and 1x12 ( For 48S = 201V max would be simplest IMO)

If you find out the BMS plug source/type you can buy a socket and make up a plugin tester or balancer.

Maybe like LTO they won't need much looking after. You might get away with simply watching the pack voltage.

Good luck..

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
But not for the technically faint of heart;)

Reactions: mmdepace

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a set. Making a graph of the discharge curve on these seemingly unknown cells will be a priority. Ironically blew up my Revolectrix GT500 charger/balancer last weekend.

·
Administrator
12,625 Posts
They seem to be shipping internationally as well.
I have just pulled the trigger on a set of 4 blocks.

Total was $519.87 inc shipping to UK.
We will see if they ever arrive and how much customs want etc.

You can't have too many Lithium packs to play with in lockdown! LOL 👍

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Seem to remember you had stumbled across a good ganged-potentiometer for VPIN / Fooler pre-resistor. Will be refreshing this weekend on all the G1 lithium notes I've taken over the past years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They seem to be shipping internationally as well.
I have just pulled the trigger on a set of 4 blocks.

Total was $519.87 inc shipping to UK.
We will see if they ever arrive and how much customs want etc.

You can't have too many Lithium packs to play with in lockdown! LOL 👍
I just pulled the trigger too. $442 shipped to Northern CA. Look forward to seeing what others do with these.

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
I could
All four blocks would be too high a voltage.
2x18 and 1x12 ( For 48S = 201V max would be simplest IMO)
Looking at the dimensions, I could not find an arrangement of this configuration which fits within a modified OEM case. Perhaps this would fit if they were poked out the back.

Looks like a special frame would be practical.:)

Reactions: mmdepace

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,147 Posts
Is there any information with regard to the type of chemistry of these cells?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't find any documentation. Was really hoping for the Idaho labs test available on a couple of the earlier lithium hybrid vehicle packs.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
626 Posts
Is there a 3rd gen Civic forum you could potentially reference for info on the hybrid batteries? Surprised that there isn't documentation out there for the specific cells.

·
Administrator
12,625 Posts
From some Googling on the CR-Z Lithium packs I would suspect these Insight ones are based on similar cells.

2013-15 Honda CR-Z Lithium Ion Battery

Not the easiest information to find online, the specifications and details of the CR-Z battery are not something that Google will easily navigate too. I did the tenacious internet scouring using lots of search terms and dug up what I believe to be the truth about the Lithium Ion battery in the 13,14,15MY Honda CR-Z hybrid coupe :)

48lbs : 144v : 4.7AH : 700WH : 15KW (20HP) pulse performance : 40cells of 3.6v :
Manufactured by a JV between Honda & GS Yuasa known as BlueEnergy of Japan

The Lithium Ion battery of the CR-Z is assembled inside of an Energy Storage System (ESS) module, an aluminum intensive assembly mounted in the center of the rear of the CR-Z beneath the storage area behind the driver and passenger seat.

The ESS contains the charge controller, battery management system, thermal management system, safety control system, and battery cells. Each cells is 3.6v & 4.7AH wired in a string series of 40cells to comprise a battery of 144v and 4.7AH, or about 0.7kWH. I believe the cells are EH4, a 279gram unit, which in this back produce a total cell mass of 11.160 kg, or roughly half the mass of the ESS.

I found this information at the official website http://www.blue-energy.co.jp/en/products/index.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, awesome find. I'd be shocked if the G3 insight batteries are not from this manufacturer. The duty cycle at 50,000 is a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few more pictures of the batteries from an old listing. A better shot of the balance plug. Possibly another TE Connectivity product, but obviously too early to tell. QR code returned nothing for me. Search for EHW5 cells returns a bit more info, but those models are clearly blue prismatic cells.

Edit - Link 12x POWER CELLS! HONDA INSIGHT 235.25wh

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
I note that the supplier says in this link that they are sold out. So there wasn't much supply.

Played around with (2)2x12 and (1)2x18 sizes. There would be very ample room on a simple flat 1/4" aluminum plate, to mound the packs and still mount the BCM/MCM on top at the front. Mounting torque needs to be limited to 6-7 ft. lb. in aluminum.

OTOH there should be ample used supply from salvage:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Been kicking around voltage monitoring ideas today. Interested in this "active balance" board (with balance turned off in the android app). I suppose a 48S setup would require 2 old android phones, each connected to a single monitoring board.

Not necessarily interested in full time active balancing function, however it was interesting to see their balance "cascade" wiring for multiple units. It appears they will use the last cell in each 24S group to transfer energy in to the second balance board and thus 2nd group of cells. Could possibly be used in a grid charging, re-balancing scenario. 1A Balance 2S ~ 24S BMS BT APP Li-ion Lipo Lifepo4 LTO Battery Active Equalizer | eBay

Edit - RS485 or CAN enabled version also available US $98.04 14% OFF|CAN Bus RS485 Protocol Temp 1A 2A Balance Battery Active Equalizer Bluetooth 2S ~ 24S BMS Li ion Lipo Lifepo4 LTO Balancer JK|Battery Accessories| - AliExpress

·
Registered
85 Posts
I note that the supplier says in this link that they are sold out. So there wasn't much supply.
Still available on currant listing when I checked.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts