Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
Picked up 4 of the big Samsung packs. I've still got a healthy battery, so the wait for developing those is not a big deal in my case.
Ordered two of the welded 18s as well, but I'll try and cancel that order. If that won't work I'm sure somebody will happily buy them (assuming they fit).

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
I'm beginning to think that Battery Hookup oversold the 47ah packs. I ordered just slightly over a month ago, and emailed them about a week ago (and they said my order would ship out in the next day or two). Sort of seems like they're stalling hoping to get more of them in.

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
And mine shipped! I know I won't be doing anything with them for a while but it'll be nice to finally have them.

Out of curiosity, has anybody tried to figure out if these modules are purchasable new? Obviously it'd be hilariously expensive right now for non recall packs, but 10+ years down the road (assuming the 10 year figure for lithium life is accurate in our case), what happens with pack availability with the Samsung modules as well as the EHW5 modules?

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
Samsung modules showed up today, part numbers
LX68-10C790-G-PIA-3AB
LX68-10C790-G-PIA-3AA
Module numbers are all MP0217NS002A

Packing was.. pretty hilarious but they seem to be in good shape. Two of the 4 look brand new/carefully handled and the other two look like they had a little rougher journey to battery hookup. One tiny dent in the case.

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
Can you post a picture of the dent? There isn't much mechanical protection, so it's possible the dent is protruding into the actual cells... which is no good. I do wish the shipper would package these modules bigger... the boxes I received mine in were bulging because they weren't actually large enough to house the modules. Each 47 Ah FoMoCo modules contains the usable energy equivalent of 6.5 sticks of dynamite... we don't want that going off in transit!
I looked a little harder. One box of 2 packs looks great, the other box of 2 is rough.

The one I mentioned with the dented case still had what I assume is a bedding compound on it, and it has a dented cell underneath. The second pack from the box has a dent or two in the cells as well as a mildly abraded section and a badly abraded section. I don't know how acceptable this is, but it's not particularly confidence-inspiring.

Table saws Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Wood Floor Rectangle Hardwood Flooring

Product Wood Bumper Audio equipment Material property

Wood Gas Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Kitchen appliance

Automotive tire Wood Stairs Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
That was what I assumed. I sent an email with pictures, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. They have a good return policy on their website that says they pay return shipping if you're 'not satisfied,' which is nice to see. It always concerns me that sellers will just claim that the issue is a non-issue and refuse a return on the grounds of damage.

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
I received my last four 47Ah FoMoCo packs today. The packs came through shipping in pristine condition. They turned packs on side and wrapped them long way with the closed cell foam, such that the foam wrap covered the cell bottoms. The packs were placed such that the vulnerable cell bottoms were on inside, bottom to bottom (hum, I like that
idea:LOL:) and there were spacer sheets of foam between the bottoms. There isn't room in the boxes for the peanuts to migrate from top to bottom. I thought the packing looked pretty decent - maybe they listened to all the feedback:)
Mine were shipped the same way. I don't think the damage mine received were from the shipper, more likely the shop that removed the packs under warranty and/or the shipping process that got them to Battery Hookup.

I emailed them Monday with pictures, got a confusing response a couple days later asking if any of the cells were salvageable (????), and nothing since. It'd be great if they just replace them and I don't have to deal with shipping them back. There are plenty of places around that will take lithium batteries, as far as I can tell. It's making me antsy not having a definite answer yet, as I really don't want them to go out of stock before I get all 4 good modules in my hands.

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
Battery Hookup is replacing my two damaged modules free of charge, and I don't need to ship the old ones back. Mild misunderstanding on what I needed, but still pretty painless. I wouldn't have any hesitation ordering from them again as they seem more than willing to make it right in the end. Pretty great!

Mudder, of you want even more damaged modules I'd be happy to get another to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts