Honda Insight Forum banner
281 - 300 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
^ hmm, interesting, I don't recall the power supply mode working for charging, seems like I tried that eons ago and got an error message...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
I wouldn't trust it and walk away, but it seems to be working nicely. I am intervening and bumping up the voltage setting by 10mV when current drops. Finishing up the first 18s module just now.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
^ I could be thinking about a different charger, the 'Reaktor' or iCharger 206b. That's probably it... Just make sure you have some good connections on that superbrain, the power output connector is notorious (around here, in the past) for being crap, resulting in really bad voltage measurement.

edit: Here's a link to a thread I made about that issue, long time ago: voltage reading on super brain 989 vs. DVM

This link may be better, goes directly to a summary toward the end: voltage reading on super brain 989 vs. DVM

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
If that's 18.64 volts across six cells, then that's 3.11 volts/cell, which is closer to 2% SoC... which I agree is not ideal for storage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Thany you eq1. I know the connector issue you mention. In fact, I have three units, but only one is able to be used at this point. Once of them had issue with the prongs coming out of the PCB to the connector. I also noticed the DMM did not allign with the charger's voltage.

Just completed my final pack. Aimed for a 3.74V termination. Should be good for storing the "backup" packs for a good number of years. Lost about 3% SoC in the year and 3 months I stored these particular cells.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Great eye Mudder. On the first pack, I missed a cell on that initial charge. Cleaned up my approach for the remaining cells. Ended up charging 7 cells on the next pass. I found 23.00V setting on the charger worked well with 6 cells.

Edit - I was about 21.3V across 6 cells for about 3.55V each cell pre-charge.

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
412 Posts
Font Circuit component Cable Electronic component Engineering
Font Screenshot Auto part Metal Advertising

·
Registered
113 Posts
Oh nice and they have the giant Samsung pack that mudder plans to support in the future

Reactions: mudder and AP1ZE1

·
Registered
113 Posts
They also have Toshiba 20ah LTO cells. A little lower power density but good performance the winter, last forever, and can be taken down to zero volts. LTO is not supported by John's BCM but Peters will work.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
They still have 22 18s modules and 45 of the "Samsung" 2 kWh modules.

Reactions: mmdepace

·
Registered
113 Posts
What do you supposed to differences between the 2 types 18S modules that they had listed today?

18x POWER CELLS! HONDA INSIGHT (14lbs)

18 BLUE ENERGY CO 3.7V 5AH EHW5 CELL MODULE (12 lbs)

One was 12 lb and the other is 14 lb. Are we sure that they are both ehw5 and equally compatible/swappable?

Because I purchased the "12x POWER CELLS! HONDA INSIGHT 235.25wh" and the "18 BLUE ENERGY CO 3.7V 5AH EHW5 CELL MODULEs" and I want to make sure that they will work together.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Oh nice and they have the giant Samsung pack that mudder plans to support in the future
I just bought more... if you want to go BIG, this is going to be the pack I design to "just work" with LiBCM. You'll either need QTY4 (48S) or QTY5 (60S) of them.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Thanks for posting. Picked up 5 sets myself. Now I have a set for my Citrus.

[Edit]: The 18S packs are available as well.
Did you pick up:
-QTY5 12S modules, or;
-QTY5 12S modules & QTY10 18S modules?

EHW5 12S modules
I missed out!

I'm hoping the G1 community purchased most of these.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
What do you supposed to differences between the 2 types 18S modules that they had listed today?
Are we sure that they are both ehw5 and equally compatible/swappable?
Your first link is dead now, but the second one is still available.
From the looks of it, that 18S module will probably work, but we won't know until someone verifies the mechanicals. From the description, one difference is that these cells are tab welded together, hence it won't be possible to convert these 18S modules to 12S... but if used as 18S modules I suspect they'll work... standing by for someone to purchase and confirm fitment.

Hopefully they're not both "18S+ modules" (you need at least QTY1 18S- module).

Because I purchased the "12x POWER CELLS! HONDA INSIGHT 235.25wh" and the "18 BLUE ENERGY CO 3.7V 5AH EHW5 CELL MODULEs" and I want to make sure that they will work together.
Looks like you're the one who is going to find out if they fit... please let me know your results. You need to confirm the following:
-they must fit inside the OEM battery enclosure
-at least one 18S modules must be type "18S-"
-the BMS pinout should match

281 - 300 of 345 Posts