Honda Insight Forum banner
301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I placed two orders today and was going to cancel the first one because I didn't use the 5% off coupon. I could probably make arrangements to have the first order sent to you. It's just 2 of the 12S "Honda" modules and 4 of the 18S "Blue energy" modules, and 4 of the big Samsung modules. I'm going to want one of the LIBCMs anyway so we do some kind of partial trade.

You talk about doing a bunch of housings for the Samsung modules. Will that be for 4 or 5 modules? I purchased 4 for myself but if your case will hold 5 then I'll do that.

Did you pick up:
-QTY5 12S modules, or;
-QTY5 12S modules & QTY10 18S modules?

I missed out!

I'm hoping the G1 community purchased most of these.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
I placed two orders today and was going to cancel the first one because I didn't use the 5% off coupon. I could probably make arrangements to have the first order sent to you. It's just 2 of the 12S "Honda" modules and 4 of the 18S "Blue energy" modules, and 4 of the big Samsung modules. I'm going to want one of the LIBCMs anyway so we do some kind of partial trade.
I'd ultimately be reselling them... so you should do that instead (and make the profit). Based on the number of requests in this thread, you won't have any difficulty reselling them.

You talk about doing a bunch of housings for the Samsung modules. Will that be for 4 or 5 modules? I purchased 4 for myself but if your case will hold 5 then I'll do that.
I don't know yet... I haven't done the engineering work yet to see if QTY5 will fit. Certainly QTY4 will fit in this proposed tray... the fifth one might need to go somewhere else. I'm at least half a year away from spending any real effort on this side project... for now I have to keep focused on the 48S EHW5 product.

I recommend purchasing another 12S module, so that you'll have the option to use a 60S/47 Ah pack... that's 10.4 kWh! For $250, even if you end up with 48S (8.3 kWh), the sunk cost is trivial.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Which car does this come from?
They come from Ford vehicles. I believe they're so plentiful because NHTSA required Ford to recall these modules due to poor battery tab welding; the tabs can 'open' under extreme loads (600+ amps), which causes the vehicle to immediately turn off, hence it's a safety issue to Ford vehicles.

This won't be an issue with LiBCM, which can only pull around 150 amps. Note that the tab welding issue was due to an improperly calibrated tab welder, which was only spot welding to 80% of the engineering design minimum... so it's not really a "shoddy tab welds" issue, but rather a "can only handle 500 amps" situation. See the following:
NHTSA Part 573 Filing: 21V-869
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22E-005

Specifically:
QTY1139 Ford and QTY24 Stellantis vehicles recalled, with 14% estimated to contain defect.
HV busbar welding issues identified in Samsung SDI's manufacturing process. Causes higher resistance between the cell terminal and busbar.
They are made by Samsung, and are used in the Ford Escape PHEV and the Jeep Wrangler 4xe. They have various model numbers, including at least:
LX68-10C790-G
LX68-10B759-R

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Did you pick up:
-QTY5 12S modules, or;
-QTY5 12S modules & QTY10 18S modules?

I missed out!

I'm hoping the G1 community purchased most of these.
Well I already had QTY1 12s so only four
of those. I also only bought QTY5 18s because I'm stupid and just realized it after reading your response... I'm not too worried, the 18s come up often.

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
Now, that's an LiBCM a serious G1 hypermiler could go for :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
They are made by Samsung, and are used in the Ford Escape PHEV and the Jeep Wrangler 4xe. They have various model numbers, including at least:
LX68-10C790-G
LX68-10B759-R
Is there a spec. sheet somewhere on internet? I couldn't find one.

How are they cooled (if needed)?

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
Is there a spec. sheet somewhere on internet? I couldn't find one.
Very little information available online.

How are they cooled (if needed)?
No provisions for cooling... just a bunch of cells squished together. Ford doesn't cool them at all inside the vehicle... not even forced air cooling. They just seal it in a tin can and ship it.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
So what do you think the 44.4V represents: max, min, nominal(@what)?

What might the full operational voltage range be?
44.4 volts is the nominal voltage (3.7 volts/cell). This is a 'standard' lithium chemistry, so its range is identical to the EHW5 modules. At 85% SoC:
-a 48S pack is going to be 194.4 volts
-a 60S pack is going to be 243.0 volts

·
Premium Member
00 MT
24 Posts
Picked up 4 of the big Samsung packs. I've still got a healthy battery, so the wait for developing those is not a big deal in my case.
Ordered two of the welded 18s as well, but I'll try and cancel that order. If that won't work I'm sure somebody will happily buy them (assuming they fit).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your first link is dead now, but the second one is still available.
From the looks of it, that 18S module will probably work, but we won't know until someone verifies the mechanicals. From the description, one difference is that these cells are tab welded together, hence it won't be possible to convert these 18S modules to 12S... but if used as 18S modules I suspect they'll work... standing by for someone to purchase and confirm fitment.

Hopefully they're not both "18S+ modules" (you need at least QTY1 18S- module).

Looks like you're the one who is going to find out if they fit... please let me know your results. You need to confirm the following:
-they must fit inside the OEM battery enclosure
-at least one 18S modules must be type "18S-"
-the BMS pinout should match
Actually I guess I'm getting the S18 Honda insight modules after all. The other order with the welded modules was canceled. I should have one or two extra sets for the community.

Also talk to Ryan @ BH today and he is going to test the polarity and make sure I get minus and positive 18s modules. He should be able to test the polarity of the welded modules just as easy. The welded modules might end up being better because they should be more compact and they are two pounds lighter. Sure they cannot be converted to a 12s but when John is ready with the 60S system then there will be less demand for the 12s modules.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ugh

"Hi Ed!

We have an issue with your order.... through multiple communication issues and us listing too many we are all out of the (6) 18x power cells. The honda insight silver packs.

I know this is horrible news, we are unsure how it happened.

Would you like the rest of your order?

Please let me know

Battery Hookup Inc."

• Wow
Reactions: FlyingHood395

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
I received my shipment of QT 1x 12S and QT 2x 18S Blue Energy Co last week.
Can you please verify the following on the 18S modules:
-The mechanical dimensions are the same as shown here? (Click the 'download' button to download the file).
-The pinout is the same as shown here:
Font Material property Pattern Parallel Number

-Are these 18S+ or 18S- modules (or both)? 18S+ modules have the BMS connector near the positive terminal.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight
24 Posts
Both of mine are 18S+ modules, but I can pair with the 18S- modules I received from Bumblebee, if the other requirements match. I'll look tomorrow night when I have time. They do fit in the OEM enclosure, and look like they have the same dimensions and mounting studs as the 18S- modules I have.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Can you please verify the following on the 18S modules:
-The mechanical dimensions are the same as shown here? (Click the 'download' button to download the file).
-The pinout is the same as shown here:
View attachment 97063
-Are these 18S+ or 18S- modules (or both)? 18S+ modules have the BMS connector near the positive terminal.
Mudder, Flyinghood will be dropping off one of his 18s packs to me tonight. How do I verify the pinout is as you are requesting? Where do I ground it to, to verify?

Reactions: FlyingHood395

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
You can hook the negative lead up to "C1-" in the pinout image posted in #316. Then as you walk up the stack with the positive lead, you should see an increase of ~3.7 volts for each cell you measure (e.g. C1+ should be ~3.7 volts, C2+ should be ~7.4 volts, C3+ should be ~10.7 volts, etc).

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
You can hook the negative lead up to "C1-" in the pinout image posted in #316. Then as you walk up the stack with the positive lead, you should see an increase of ~3.7 volts for each cell you measure (e.g. C1+ should be ~3.7 volts, C2+ should be ~7.4 volts, C3+ should be ~10.7 volts, etc).
Oh I got you. So actually be careful and not just stab stuff. I can do this!

301 - 320 of 345 Posts