Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 259 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
2,458 Posts
I just bought QTY1 for $440 shipped... that's one heck of a deal. Ha, I now have batteries from six different lithium vehicles ;). This is a standard (i.e. non-LTO) lithium cell. Rest assured I will give a full technical review once they come in. Using QTY2 18-cell packs and QTY1 12-cell pack yields 201.6 full charge voltage, which is an excellent drop-in replacement for the OEM system... note you'll almost certainly want a BMS, unless you like living dangerously.

·
Super Moderator
9,099 Posts
note you'll almost certainly want a BMS, unless you like living dangerously.
So where would you propose to find a good, of the shelf BMS? You will be luck to decipher and use any of the OEM balance functions. No one has yet.;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Cycle testing would be much appreciated. Those communications enabled active balancers / cell monitors mentioned earlier is an idea. A PIC could drive a couple transistors to toggle the ALF, RLF flags/inputs in a BCM interceptor. All youtube reviews on these balance devices seem positive. Found a website that broke down the information packets. There is some code available on github. Will start a thread with these links if there is interest from others.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,471 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,099 Posts
Yeah, I've been there before. Plenty of info, but it is a build.;)
I use the LTC6804.
Yeah, I read about that a lot and tought a lot about that. But the problem is that it is a build with both s/w and h/w sides. It requires a certain level of expertise.

mudder Would you be willing to share your s/w and some help to early adapters? Full disclaimers of course. (i.e. this is how I did it, your results may differ.)

It looks like one may be able to simply order the chips from digi-key or others.

I assume you are using the Leaf cells modified. Do you think it will work ok with the lower voltage LTO cells? Like, is there a utility where one specifies cell voltage?

·
Super Moderator
9,099 Posts
You know, this last post looks very credible. He says he has the special board required. Why not join that forum and contact him:)

·
Linsight Designer
2,458 Posts
@mmdepace's solution is essentially what I did (with my own PCB). Note that LT provides source code that runs without modification on the Arduino.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,099 Posts
I looked at it some. It is unsettling that it comes from China and doesn't even have a brand name. The seller only has an eBay rating of 97%, which is low in an environment where they pay for ratings. I always read the negative ratings, and in this case they are unsettling.

On the surface of it, i.e. specifications, it looks like it "might" work. They don't say much about the interface utility which is darn important. A couple of the negatives complained about not being able to communicate with the device. I'd consider it a low odds gamble, but sometimes they pay off;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I appreciate the input. I'm actually hoping to get someone to talk me out of experimenting with it. I have some documentation of the RS485 communication formats and misc. reviews/discussion on this unit from JKBMS. Will make a thread on Saturday in case anyone is interested.

·
Super Moderator
9,099 Posts
Don't see any reason not experiment. Wouldn't be a big loss if it failed entirely. Heck, I've spent much more than that just learning by iteration on building LTO mounting frames. I also lost a fair amount of money on my failed Lithium Civic Hybrid effort, before I changed my direction to LTO. Sometimes learning carry a cost;)

Can't help much technically. Wish I could.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5MT
67 Posts
Wow, this looks like a really inexpensive possible setup. I lack too much knowledge to pull the trigger. Hope these work out for everyone!

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
Please can buyers let us know as soon as you receive the cells or any significant comms from the suppliers.
I have some doubts, perhaps unfounded that anything will ever arrive. Thanks...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My shipment arrives tomorrow. Yesterday, I received a reply to a question asked the night before my purchase. Seems to be a 3-day delay in email communication.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
That's a bummer. These cells seem so much lighter/smaller than the LTO's. What shipping method were you able to receive the first set of LTO a couple years back?

·
Linsight Designer
2,458 Posts
These are legit. Unboxing video and initial thoughts:
youtu.be/d4gk2evbaQA

First off, there is NO onboard Battery Management System. There are voltage sense leads on an off-the-shelf connector.

The sub-pack sizes are: 235.3 Wh (QTY2) & 352.98 Wh (QTY2). Total pack size is 1176.56 Wh (nom).

These are standard lithium cells. Specifically, they are Panasonic __. Using these cells without a battery management system is a HUGE fire hazard. You have been warned if you choose to forgo a BMS.

Honda part number 1D190-6L2-A000, named "Honda SEC battery module set". However, Honda does not recognize this part number, and I've found zero references to it online. Elsewhere I've found similar text "Code: 1D190-6L2A", which also yields zero results in my search.

A note on the box says these batteries "expired" on 2019/07/04... I'm sure that's meaningless. The last "checked" date is 2019/01/16. So these are basically batteries that sat in Honda's stock and were never needed, then expired, and are now being sold as scrap.

Update: Here's the teardown:
youtu.be/aXQ28Z8D6L4

Takeaways:
-Each battery module can EASILY be disassembled down to individual cells. These packs are super user friendly, and can be reconfigured in an combination to achieve any voltage. All you need is a 7 & 8 mm socket.

Edit2 (ampacity):
These cells are in perfect condition. Measured 4.5 Ah charging to 4.1 volts at 25 A, and then immediately discharging to 2.75 volts at 30 A:
youtu.be/JepoijK6Cyo

Edit3 (mechanicals):
Using both larger (18S) modules and one small (12S) module yields an 864 Wh, 48S, 5 Ah lithium pack, which is slightly more capacity than the G1's OEM NiMH pack, but is much lighter (36.7 pounds total weight).
youtu.be/oFtVi_eOLv0

This is absolutely the cheapest lithium solution I've ever seen for G1 Honda Insights. Considering you can sell the remaining, unused 12S module (e.g. on eBay), you can have a replacement lithium battery for your G1 insight for maybe $350. Of course you need a BMS, but that'll come in due time. I'm certain someone in the community will make this available shortly.

21 - 40 of 259 Posts