Honda Insight Forum banner
381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,509 Posts
I received my last four 47Ah FoMoCo packs today. The packs came through shipping in pristine condition. They turned packs on side and wrapped them long way with the closed cell foam, such that the foam wrap covered the cell bottoms. The packs were placed such that the vulnerable cell bottoms were on inside, bottom to bottom (hum, I like that
idea:LOL:) and there were spacer sheets of foam between the bottoms. There isn't room in the boxes for the peanuts to migrate from top to bottom. I thought the packing looked pretty decent - maybe they listened to all the feedback:)

·
Super Moderator
9,509 Posts
Battery hookup is replacing the battery at their cost, what should I do with the old one?
IMHO you should ship them back to Battery Hookup at their expense. I talked a bit with my FedEx delivery guy and he said I could return them in the same boxes. A shipping label has to be generated and printed on your printer. You will probably have to talk to Battery Hookup to get it all straight. You will have a big hassle trying to properly dispose of them yourself. JMHO

I am surprised that Battery Hookup didn't ask you to file a shipping damage claim against FedEx, since that is likely how the damage occurred. Maybe they know they didn't pack them properly;)

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
I received my last four 47Ah FoMoCo packs today. The packs came through shipping in pristine condition. They turned packs on side and wrapped them long way with the closed cell foam, such that the foam wrap covered the cell bottoms. The packs were placed such that the vulnerable cell bottoms were on inside, bottom to bottom (hum, I like that
idea:LOL:) and there were spacer sheets of foam between the bottoms. There isn't room in the boxes for the peanuts to migrate from top to bottom. I thought the packing looked pretty decent - maybe they listened to all the feedback:)
Mine were shipped the same way. I don't think the damage mine received were from the shipper, more likely the shop that removed the packs under warranty and/or the shipping process that got them to Battery Hookup.

I emailed them Monday with pictures, got a confusing response a couple days later asking if any of the cells were salvageable (????), and nothing since. It'd be great if they just replace them and I don't have to deal with shipping them back. There are plenty of places around that will take lithium batteries, as far as I can tell. It's making me antsy not having a definite answer yet, as I really don't want them to go out of stock before I get all 4 good modules in my hands.

·
Super Moderator
9,509 Posts
I'd bombard them with e-mails and damage pictures. Tell them you aren't interested in harvesting cells, you need sound, safe, undamaged packs - which is what you were promised. Make it clear you want replacements.

I wonder just how many IC folk are sitting on damaged, unsafe packs??

·
Linsight Designer
3,904 Posts
My wife is in Madison right now and will take it off your hands :). I figure I'll put it on the front porch and do a long term charge/discharge test. I'll store it such that if it goes up in flames there is no harm to any structure or person. I'd also perform destructive analysis to see how much damage these can sustain while remaining safe.

Regardless, you should place clear packing tape over any scrapes or abrasions, which will prevent exposure to atmospheric oxygen. This is NOT a permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
My wife is in Madison right now and will take it off your hands :). I figure I'll put it on the front porch and do a long term charge/discharge test. I'll store it such that if it goes up in flames there is no harm to any structure or person. I'd also perform destructive analysis to see how much damage these can sustain while remaining safe.

Regardless, you should place clear packing tape over any scrapes or abrasions, which will prevent exposure to atmospheric oxygen.
I really wish I lived closer and could pay you a visit. I love blowing things up. I'd love to fully charge one of them to 100% and spray it with my flamethrower, just to watch the carnage.

• Wow
Reactions: FlyingHood395

·
Registered
238 Posts
The FoMoCo module is now in the hands of me mudders wife. I look forward to hearing about how the failure testing goes. To me it looks like the material behind the plastic is a stainless steel and not a reactive battery layer but we will see.

·
Premium Member
00 MT
48 Posts
Battery Hookup is replacing my two damaged modules free of charge, and I don't need to ship the old ones back. Mild misunderstanding on what I needed, but still pretty painless. I wouldn't have any hesitation ordering from them again as they seem more than willing to make it right in the end. Pretty great!

Mudder, of you want even more damaged modules I'd be happy to get another to you.

·
Linsight Designer
3,904 Posts
The FoMoCo module is now in the hands of me mudders wife. I look forward to hearing about how the failure testing goes. To me it looks like the material behind the plastic is a stainless steel and not a reactive battery layer but we will see.
The module is now safe and sound in a metal burn box on my front porch. Right now here's the plan (to be executed soon):
A1: Discharge any damaged cells down to 0.000 volts.
A2: Destructively remove the outer black wrap on QTY1 damaged cell, to determine interior packaging type/thickness.

B: Setup long term cell tester that continuously charges/discharges undamaged cells. Test will log temperature, voltage, current, etc until the cell capacity drops to 60% of initial value.
B1: Continuously charge/discharge QTY1 cell at 30 amps, from 15% SoC to 80% SoC.
B2: As B1, but from 0% to 100% SoC.
B3: As B1, but charge at 75 amps.
B4: As B1, in 50 degC chamber.
B5: As B1, in low ambient chamber (temp TBD).

C1: Characterize QTY1 cell during slow charge/discharge, to create SoC(v) graph.

Battery Hookup is replacing my two damaged modules free of charge, and I don't need to ship the old ones back. Mild misunderstanding on what I needed, but still pretty painless. I wouldn't have any hesitation ordering from them again as they seem more than willing to make it right in the end. Pretty great!
I agree Battery Hookup is doing great. I do wish they'd ship these in larger boxes, so that they have more sidewall protection. Maybe our latest feedback will help achieve this goal.

Mudder, of you want even more damaged modules I'd be happy to get another to you.
I should be good with just the one module. If you're ever in Chattanooga (or I'm ever in Ohio) I'll certainly take them, but I'm hesitant to ship them as it might be unsafe.

144 x 47ah FoMoCo/ Samsung SDI modules left in stock
I'm disappointed that the ic.net community hasn't purchased them all yet ;). Bargain of a lifetime right here.

·
Administrator
13,900 Posts
I'm disappointed that the ic.net community hasn't purchased them all yet ;). Bargain of a lifetime right here.
You're lucky! I would like some but shipping/customs trebles the price for me.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I should be good with just the one module. If you're ever in Chattanooga (or I'm ever in Ohio) I'll certainly take them, but I'm hesitant to ship them as it might be unsafe.
@mudder Have you considered cooking off a few of these contributed 47 AH packs to determine what flow rates, if any, might be needed to exhaust the IMA bay should one of these pop off inside it, and how they progress between cells once one cooks off mid-pack? (you are best qualified for performing such tests)

·
Administrator
13,900 Posts
@mudder Have you considered cooking off a few of these contributed 47 AH packs to determine what flow rates, if any, might be needed to exhaust the IMA bay should one of these pop off inside it, and how they progress between cells once one cooks off mid-pack? (you are best qualified for performing such tests)
That's a barmy idea frankly.

·
Linsight Designer
3,904 Posts
barmy! Now that's a word I've not heard before!
Same... my British slang lexicon is quite small though.

Have you considered cooking off a few of these contributed 47 AH packs to determine what flow rates, if any, might be needed to exhaust the IMA bay should one of these pop off inside it, and how they progress between cells once one cooks off mid-pack? (you are best qualified for performing such tests)
No, I don't have the test equipment to properly test for this... I'd just be catching things on fire for 'fun'. I don't want to deal with the environmental impact this will cause.

I will test cell lifetime (cycles) at various temperature extremes. That's a more useful data point.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just popping on to say that I’m biting the bullet and ordering 4 myself! I think it’s time to start collecting parts ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
View attachment 97094

The blue energy EHW5 18s welded modules have a sticker saying EHW5. Are we sure the Honda insight modules are EHW5? Does the w stand for welded?
I can say with 100% certainty that the Insight modules are NOT ehw5 cells. And no, the W doesn't stand for welded. I plan to make a post in the "47AH fomoco" thread to straighten up several misconceptions you guys seem to be perpetuating on this forum.

Not sure why I'd help you, though, after the way you've treated me in a few threads so far. :(

381 - 400 of 428 Posts