Honda Insight Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I just came across this listing on Ebay 224415807911 for what appears to be a 12S module from a 2019 Honda Clarity. Does anyone have any knowledge of this car and its battery setup?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
So these are the cells that @hondarider90 is looking for in his quest for molten copper! :)

Reactions: Sargy

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Actually no, look at the charge and discharge specs. 50a charge and 150 discharge, they'd have to be parallel and then you're talking over 500 pounds

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
They'd still be plenty heavy for non linsight guys too. About 100 pounds for under 200 volts and I'd be concerned that they're from a normally water cooled package. That means youd have to likely water cool them or be very careful with them since they arent designed to flow air well most likely

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I've just purchased QTY2 18S modules from the link that mudder posted, the other day. So, now I'm on the hunt for QTY1 of a 12S module.

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
Same here.

Sam

·
Registered
200 Posts
On page 19 post 378 in the other thread Mudder said:

If anyone here is mechanically inclined, you might consider designing a copy of the 12S
enclosure's side plate... that's the only part that's different between the 12S/18S mechanical
enclosure. Said part is a stamped and folded piece of steel. You'll need QTY2 (identical) parts
per 12S-converted module. My guess is that if you order QTY200 parts (enough to make QTY100
12S-converted modules), the per-piece price will be ~$10 (so $20 per 12S module).

So I think this is the side plate which Mudder is holding:

So the side plate from an 18S battery will be too long. I wonder if 2 cuts be made in the middle to shorten it to the correct length, then the pieces welded together?

@mudder
  • Is the side plate made of steel?
  • Can you give the dimensions of the 12S side plate?
  • The 18S connector will be different from the 12S connector, will that be an issue on this "hacked" 12S battery?
  • Is the position of the notches (see red arrows above) important?
  • If this "hacked" side plate does not compress the cells enough, will I live to see another day (ok, MAYBE just a tad too much drama here -- hope it made your day :) )

Thank you for these amazing things you are doing.

George

·
Administrator
12,892 Posts
(y) (y)

So the side plate from an 18S battery will be too long. I wonder if 2 cuts be made in the middle to shorten it to the correct length, then the pieces welded together?

George
Good idea.. (y)

Bolts, rivets, solder, brazing.. etc etc

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight, 5MT
59 Posts
Interesting with those notches you pointed out, i cant tell what the function is.

Worst case, i have everything i need but experience to replicate the sheet metal parts. If that ends up being the best way to go, let me know and I'll work it out. There is probably someone else here more experienced with sheet metal CAD.

I would only need the total 12s outside length since I'll have an 18s to base everything else off of.

·
Linsight Designer
2,371 Posts
Is the side plate made of steel?
Yes

Can you give the dimensions of the 12S side plate?
I defer to someone else that has a 12S module to draw up the dimensions... it's not on my list of things to do right now.

The 18S connector will be different from the 12S connector, will that be an issue on this "hacked" 12S battery?
No... I'll make a specific "18S_connector_to_12S Adapter", which will handle that interface.

Is the position of the notches (see red arrows above) important?
I defer to someone else. I can't do everything here.

If this "hacked" side plate does not compress the cells enough, will I live to see another day?
If you get the distance correct, then it will compress the cells enough. You'll certainly want to compress the cells to prevent thermal events long term... pouch cell dendrite growth is not a fun time when the smoke starts pouring out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can someone who has the 12S battery measure the internal length of the side plate? I believe this is the only dimension we need, when cutting and welding the 18S side plate to 12S size.

And also inspect the notches (pointed to by the vertical arrows below) to see what they are for. Thanks.

Looks like QTY2 more 18S modules are in my future.

George

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also purchased four of those 18s modules from jag35, on the day mudder posted it, and they are still "getting it ready" - has anyone had their order ship yet?

e:
My order has now shipped - takes five days just like joeaax1j said (y)

161 - 180 of 220 Posts