Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary? I don't yet have a manual, so if someone can provide an answer, that would be appreciated. I did find the torque specs (23Nm) for the plugs in the encyclopedia section, but there was no mention of a plug gap.

Thanks,
---
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
In normal service the plugs are supposed to last 8 years or 72,000 miles and then get replaced. The electrode is Iridium and is needle like. I wouldn't mess with it. Bsically the manual says to replace it if the electrode is rounded or the gap too large. My info is that the gap when new should be 1.0 - 1.1 mm (0.039 - 0.043) inch, 1.3 mm service limit. Check with the dealer or the manual for your specific year/plug to verify this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
b1shmu63 said:
In normal service the plugs are supposed to last 8 years or 72,000 miles and then get replaced.
My Insight has 72,073 miles, so I guess it's time. :wink:

b1shmu63 said:
The electrode is Iridium and is needle like. I wouldn't mess with it.
Yeah, but you normally don't adjust the gap via the center electrode.

b1shmu63 said:
My info is that the gap when new should be 1.0 - 1.1 mm (0.039 - 0.043) inch, 1.3 mm service limit. Check with the dealer or the manual for your specific year/plug to verify this.
Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
In the bad old days backyard mechanics would use wire brush bristles to remove carbon, sand blast the insulator, use a file to square up the elctrode and then adjust the gap with a gapping tool. Ouch! That seems so primitive now!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Shotster said:
b1shmu63 said:
In normal service the plugs are supposed to last 8 years or 72,000 miles and then get replaced.
My Insight has 72,073 miles, so I guess it's time. :wink:
I guess something got lost in the metric-english conversion. <g>

The first "tune-up" isn't due on the Insight 'til 105,000 miles pg. 3-9 of the Insight factory service manual. Save your money. It _really_ isn't needed 'til then. But _do_ get your owner's manual out and review the maintenance items due @75K.

A better "investment" of the money you'd be spending on a tune-up would be the factory service manual. :)

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
:oops: Thanks Trekker, my ifo is out of date. (2000 model platinum plugs), better verify the gapping ifo too. :) Of course if you are having problems it wouldn't hurt to look at the plugs (this mught be a pain on the Insight due to the indexing and setup). Certain engine conditions can cause premature wear, hopefully this is not your case. If the engine is running fine spend your money on a manual like trekker said. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts