Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When at the gas pumps, where do Insight drivers set their gas cap while filling the tank?

rodney
'03 MT silver
drives barefoot

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Where to put the gas cap?

I got tired of putting the cap on the roof of the car, so I went out to my Big *** Van (a conversion Dodge Ram Wagon) to see how that cap was tethered. Lo and behold, it was tied by a plastic strap that attached to the body by means of a press-to-fit end. I pulled it out, unscrewed the cap, took it to the Insight, and switched caps. Perfect fit! Then I drove around with the Dodge cap on the Insight for a couple of days to make sure I wouldn't have any CELs as a result of using a "foreign" gas cap. Satisfied that the caps were compatible, I drilled the appropriate-sized hole in the hinge of the Insight lid, plugged the tether in, and swapped out the gas caps permanently. 10,000 miles and counting, no problems, and I don't lose my cap. I imagine any DaimlerChrysler cap would swap out if it has a tether... perhaps other manufacturers as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I usually put mine on the pump or the island the pump sits on. *Knock on wood* I have so far never left a gas cap behind but did just see a person leave theirs the other day.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I lost mine, so now I'm driving around gas stations waiting for one of you guys to forget yours.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I once have forgotten my cap while filling up my civic. Now I put it on the island. I try not to forget. Maybe a good way is to put your car keys next to the cap so you can't leave without it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Damn that reminds me I forgot to put my Gas cap on yesterday :(

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,870 Posts
Lost gas cap

You can get a stick on gas cap holder from Honda. It sticks to the inside of the gas tank access door....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Personally I hold mine in my hand while filling for the sake of not getting any dust or foreign matter on the cap which might find it's way down the fuel tank and in to the engine. The first time I filled up I set it in the little flap on the door, it stayed for a few seconds before falling on the ground and rolling under the car. I wiped it down really good, hopefully it didn't get much on it.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I just balance my gas cap against the rear windscreen wiper. Isn't that what it's there for? :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always use it to keep the gas flowing by wedging it in the pump handle. The auto gas shut off still works and this way I can walk away and not smell the fumes. Plus it makes it hard to forget.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I assume this isn't an option for pre 2003 insights?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i looked at that. I tried to find a spot in the manual that instructed me on this. Now, looking at you photo, it seems to make sense. I went out and tried this technique, and sure enough, it does work. Funny how this did not make since to me when I first looked at it. I was thinking a short tether adhered to the cap with a knot on the other end that could be placed in this tiny slot.

rodney
'03 MT silver
barefoot driver

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whoah. Wait... I own a 2003. That picture is dark. Is there a tether or are you balancing it perfectly on some kind of lip on the bottom of the door? Or is there some extra piece included in the bin that my dealer didn't install that allows me to rest the cap on?

I was thinking of creating a very simple tether and finding a nice way to attach it. Luckily I don't go to the gas station so much that it's an inconveniance to find a place to put the gas cap. hehe. Once every 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
ok, sorry about the poor picture quality.
The wife just showed me how to take pictures at night
with our camera, so I took a few more pictures.
I don't have time to resize them, so I'll put links up.
http://www.atheos.net/images/insight2.jpg
There are 4 tabs on the cap. You can work the tab to
fit perfectly into the hook on the door.
http://www.atheos.net/images/insight3.jpg
fuzzy shot from the side
http://www.atheos.net/images/insight4.jpg
shot from rear (best pic)
http://www.atheos.net/images/insight5.jpg

Niles
:wink:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks, Niles!

Thanks for those pics, Niles. I thought that little thing at the bottom of the gas door was for the cap, but couldn't think how it might attach.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't think that little hook is for the cap, if it is then it sure is a poor design. Honda and other manufactures have much better gas cap holders than that. I'm thinking Honda was going to attach something to that hook for a gas cap holder and then decided against it.

Anyone have any info from Honda directly.....and not a dealership.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have only fillled up once, but tried the little hook. When the pump shut of, the lid fell to the ground. I think I am going to try a new method of attachment. If successful, I'll update.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts