Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
until I am dead in the water :)

This is my first tank. I know the Insight has a 10.6 gallon tank, I have 430 miles on the tank currently, and the car is telling me I can go another 32. Its 30 miles exactly to get home and I want to squeeze as much as I can out of the car. How much longer do I have before the tank runs dry do you think? My dash is telling me I am going 51.8MPG.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
So - this might bring a laugh. My low gas light came on Monday on my way to my customer's site. I reset Trip B to see how far I could go. For some reason I figured I had one gallon left - easy math: 60.2 mpg on this tank, so no problem getting to site, then home (50 more miles), right?

Heading home, I'm showing 33.2 miles from where the light turned on, and GasBuddy is telling me the cheapest gas in my vicinity is this exit. What the heck, 27ish miles short of dry, I'll fill up. I take the off-ramp, engine auto stops as I wait for traffic, I take left turn from stop-sign and my Insight ICE is not responding - feels like it's out of gas. That can't be. I pull to the side and re-start it. Make it up the overpass to the gas station - stalls once more - drift into the gas station - I pump in 10.5 gallons.

Two mistakes: 1) I thought the tank held 10.9 gallons; 2) I thought the light meant one gallon left.

My guess is when I took the left turn from the stop sign, the cup and a half or so of gas in my tank slid away from the pickup tube and wahlah, no gas for a few seconds...

Lesson Learned: When light comes on, I have less than 30 miles (assuming 60MPG) before I'm on fumes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So - this might bring a laugh. My low gas light came on Monday on my way to my customer's site. I reset Trip B to see how far I could go. For some reason I figured I had one gallon left - easy math: 60.2 mpg on this tank, so no problem getting to site, then home (50 more miles), right?

Heading home, I'm showing 33.2 miles from where the light turned on, and GasBuddy is telling me the cheapest gas in my vicinity is this exit. What the heck, 27ish miles short of dry, I'll fill up. I take the off-ramp, engine auto stops as I wait for traffic, I take left turn from stop-sign and my Insight ICE is not responding - feels like it's out of gas. That can't be. I pull to the side and re-start it. Make it up the overpass to the gas station - stalls once more - drift into the gas station - I pump in 10.5 gallons.

Two mistakes: 1) I thought the tank held 10.9 gallons; 2) I thought the light meant one gallon left.

My guess is when I took the left turn from the stop sign, the cup and a half or so of gas in my tank slid away from the pickup tube and wahlah, no gas for a few seconds...

Lesson Learned: When light comes on, I have less than 30 miles (assuming 60MPG) before I'm on fumes.
How much was the car estimating you had left in the tank when the light flipped on? Was it accurate? I am the type of person that flips out when the gas light turns on :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
How much was the car estimating you had left in the tank when the light flipped on? Was it accurate? I am the type of person that flips out when the gas light turns on :D
Oops - just noticed this was the 2ndGen thread. I'm new to InsightCentral, as well as new to my car. I've had my 2000 Insight manual for little over a month. So, my info is likely of no value to your new Insight... Sorry.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Per the government, which regulates a LOT of what goes into the manufacturing of the vehicles...........1 gallon.
They can't control how we drive, but they are geting there.....so it's up to your foot as how many miles you have left! (or The nut behind the steering wheel)
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
254 Posts
Per the government, which regulates a LOT of what goes into the manufacturing of the vehicles...........1 gallon.
They can't control how we drive, but they are geting there.....so it's up to your foot as how many miles you have left! (or The nut behind the steering wheel)
HTH
Willie
I don't think this is correct.

Otherwise I would run out of gas in 2 blocks of the gas light going on with my other vehicle! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I should mention (and you may already be aware of this) that in-tank fuel pumps are typically cooled by the fuel in the tank, so if you regularly run your tank down to near empty there is the potential to shorten fuel pump life. It is best to refill when tank is near 1/4 full.
Just sayin'!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The range estimate is based off of your current mpg. Ive gone to zero and still had gas. Basically the pointer becomes level with that solid line below the E.

The pump is in the tank and cooled by the gas, so its not good for that reason and the fact trash settles to the bottom of the tank to run it dry could get caught up in the screen.

I either fill it up for long drives or buy 2.5 gallons at my local wawa, then get a coupon and get something discounted good to at inside the store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im not sure how much is left when the light comes on, but typically when my light comes on I have 40 miles left on the range indicator. When I get down to 0 miles on the range indicator I can put in 9.5 gallons. So I'm guessing you still have between 1.5 and 2 gallons left when the light comes on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im not sure how much is left when the light comes on, but typically when my light comes on I have 40 miles left on the range indicator. When I get down to 0 miles on the range indicator I can put in 9.5 gallons. So I'm guessing you still have between 1.5 and 2 gallons left when the light comes on.
This is my experience too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hypermiling I took pictures trying to get 500mi/50mpg off a single tank...

432 miles - low fuel light turned on (32mi left)

461 miles - 0 miles left on odometer

502 miles - filled up 10.41 gallons

With that experience I give myself 50 miles to fill up after the low fuel light. Then I sit and *really* think about how far that is... and remind myself why I love this car!

·
Registered
188 Posts

I also have a first gen MT and my experience differs from yours. I have several times driven approximately two bars worth of the fuel gauge after the last bar disappears on the dash. There isn't much after that... I calculate each bar is worth approximately 0.47g (based on mileage and when they disappear).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Recently in my 2010 EX I was forced to drive 68 miles after the gas light came on. Gas light came on with 35 miles to empty which put me exactly at the 100% gas station I wanted. I was even excited because I was going get a completely full tank of 100% gas. However upon arriving at the gas station there was a sign which stated closed for season. I was beginning to get worried. I had to turn around and backtrack 33 miles to another station (10% ethanol) and get gas. I never felt a surge nor any other indication of running out of gas. I got amazing gas mileage on the way back as I was trying my best to save what precious drops remained. I'm sure this would not be recommended by Honda or my cardiologist, but its good stuff to know.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts