Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 5sp. that we used to get about 61 mpg as figured at each fill up. Now we are doing good to get 53 mpg. This just happened all of a sudden. We noticed that the auto stop did not work all the time and it seems like the assist is getting used more often.

We took to the dealer and they said that auto stop does not work below 40 degrees and that there is nothing wrong with the car.

Is it just becasue it is getting cold here in Kansas, only about 35 at night and from 40 to 50 in day, or is there something else that could cause it with all the test checking ok at dealer.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,895 Posts
Your dealer gave you the most probable cause. There are "many" post on this site about cold weather driving, mileage, etc. Research, research, research................

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
check your tire pressure, too. Dealers tend to way underinflate (32psi) whereas many of us inflate beyond Honda's recommendation (38/35psi front/rear) to 40+ psi.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had tire pressure at 42 psi. They said there was nothing wrong and when I drove it today about 35 miles one way got 74.9 mpg drafting a semi.

What would cause it to drop so severe some trips on the same road and not others when the driving habbits are the same.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Lots of variables to consider.
If the defrost is on, this runs the ac to dry the air....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Has anybody tried putting a relay in the rear window defogger circuit so it doesn't run automatically? Seems like a pretty significant waste of energy most days...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm a little dissapointed in my little guys performance too (also in KS) we bought the car about 2 months ago and have never averaged over about 50mpg per tank. The car has limited maintenance records, but supposedly it got all reg-sched maintenance one way or another. It has 120,00mi on it (still on original batt/BCM/MCM) with very few recals.

I'm thinking I would like the forum to put together a list of common mechanical mpg killers to check, all neat and tidy in one place.

Stuff like ECM cleaning, valve adjustment, ground wire issues, etc. Then we can link directly to those threads so we can have a neat little reference to all the common issues in one place...

Sound good?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
bpapa9013 said:
I'm thinking I would like the forum to put together a list of common mechanical mpg killers to check, all neat and tidy in one place.

Stuff like ECM cleaning, valve adjustment, ground wire issues, etc. Then we can link directly to those threads so we can have a neat little reference to all the common issues in one place...

Sound good?
Sounds GREAT :!:

I nominate bpapa9016 for the job :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
I find that cold weather and A/C usage are the 2 worst offenders for lower mpg. My mpg will drop 10+% in winter and in summer running A/C I'll lose closer to 15%. As mentioned, there are numerous other variables, but not as severe as cold and A/C. Any Insight owners in a really cold area? What mpg effects do you find from the cold?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have noticed a huge difference with my insight in the colder weather. I recently moved to the coast, and I was getting so much better gas mileage in the valley.......... where it's a lot warmer. I'm averaging about 5 less mpg.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Winter gas has additives that cause in increase in fuel consumption as well.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I only wish I was getting 5 MPG less! My average is dropping like a rock. It was 12 degrees out in the morning a few days ago, and even in my garage it was around 40. And the wind was blowing about 40 MPH, too. I got 50 MPG on my Tuesday commute.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My mileage also suffers in the winter. There are three things that I have done to help.
1)Make a raditor block out of carboard, cover about 30 to 50% of the radiator. Watch your thermostat when you first do this to make sure you have not blocked too much.
2)Next, run your air intake plumbing so that it pulls hot air off of the radiator, you can get some tube at a home center or auto store.
3)Last, don't drive in 5th gear unless you are going 65+. It barely hurts the mileage but will keep your battery full. This keeps your acceleration good and prevents a forced charge.

My mileage drops from about 62 to 55 in the winter over the same routes.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Colder weather affects mileage, what I used to do when I lived in Georgia was to use duct tape on the lower front opening, The Insight is almost the same color as the duct tape, so if you apply it well, it looks like it was all one piece, I would not remove the tape until the weather got warm, and the tape does not stick to the paint.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dougie said:
I only wish I was getting 5 MPG less! My average is dropping like a rock. It was 12 degrees out in the morning a few days ago, and even in my garage it was around 40. And the wind was blowing about 40 MPH, too. I got 50 MPG on my Tuesday commute.
Isn't it great that under such horrible circumstances we can STILL say we get 50mpg! :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have also noticed a 10-15mpg decrease in my insight as temps drop. Whether it is the fuel mixture change, the temp or other things I am not sure. I run my tires at 44psi all around, and have found after the first 50 miles or so of a commute my mpg improves to be closer to the summer mpg, just not enough. I am looking at doing a block to see if it helps my ride. It is dissappointing to go from a 83.8 mpg avg tank to 75.5.

I hope further weather chilling doesn't continue to drop my FE.

Between the weather, and 2 tanks of "normal driving" experimenting for meow my lmpg dropped to 73mpg!

NO more racing up mountians full throttle for several battery cycles :twisted:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts