Honda Insight Forum banner

Gas mileage drop

3915 18
I have a 2001 5sp. that we used to get about 61 mpg as figured at each fill up. Now we are doing good to get 53 mpg. This just happened all of a sudden. We noticed that the auto stop did not work all the time and it seems like the assist is getting used more often.

We took to the dealer and they said that auto stop does not work below 40 degrees and that there is nothing wrong with the car.

Is it just becasue it is getting cold here in Kansas, only about 35 at night and from 40 to 50 in day, or is there something else that could cause it with all the test checking ok at dealer.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Dougie said:
I only wish I was getting 5 MPG less! My average is dropping like a rock. It was 12 degrees out in the morning a few days ago, and even in my garage it was around 40. And the wind was blowing about 40 MPH, too. I got 50 MPG on my Tuesday commute.
Isn't it great that under such horrible circumstances we can STILL say we get 50mpg! :lol:

· Registered
133 Posts
I have also noticed a 10-15mpg decrease in my insight as temps drop. Whether it is the fuel mixture change, the temp or other things I am not sure. I run my tires at 44psi all around, and have found after the first 50 miles or so of a commute my mpg improves to be closer to the summer mpg, just not enough. I am looking at doing a block to see if it helps my ride. It is dissappointing to go from a 83.8 mpg avg tank to 75.5.

I hope further weather chilling doesn't continue to drop my FE.

Between the weather, and 2 tanks of "normal driving" experimenting for meow my lmpg dropped to 73mpg!

NO more racing up mountians full throttle for several battery cycles :twisted:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.