Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Insight owner. Just drove 14 miles round trip from Greenville, SC to Simpsonville, SC this morning on a 2 lane backroad with ups and downs as far as hills go and a few lights, some I made and some I had to stop at. I got 56 mpg in my 2001 CVT. Is that pretty good? My average speed was around 35 mph. Today's my day off, so I did not have to contend with a lot of traffic.

On my normal commute route for work, I get in the upper 40's, as it is stop and go and not highway. I could take the freeway, but they drive like fools out there. They must be in a big hurry to get to work.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brand new here too, just picked my 2000 up day before yesterday, my commute to work is 130 miles round trip and last 2 days have averaged between 70 and 75 each leg, it takes some work to get it, tonight I was in lean burn for almost the whole way from 285 to downtown on 85 south a good 10 miles, that mpg just kept climbing.

Sorry cant help on the CVT though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
averagejoe said:
Brand new here too, just picked my 2000 up day before yesterday, my commute to work is 130 miles round trip and last 2 days have averaged between 70 and 75 each leg, it takes some work to get it, tonight I was in lean burn for almost the whole way from 285 to downtown on 85 south a good 10 miles, that mpg just kept climbing.

Sorry cant help on the CVT though.
The 5-speed sounds fantastic. What great mileage. What is "lean burn?" Is that for 5-speeds only? Where are you from?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
56 is good in a CVT. I think the most important driving technique is to gradually let up the gas pedal whenever possible. Lots of times you can get where you want to go just as quickly but using a bit less gas. Every drop is precious! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
... Just drove 14 miles round trip ... on a 2 lane backroad with ups and downs as far as hills go and a few lights, some I made and some I had to stop at. I got 56 mpg in my 2001 CVT. Is that pretty good?
... My average speed was around 35 mph.
... for work, I get in the upper 40's, as it is stop and go ,,, I could take the freeway, but they drive like fools out there
As a CVT owner myself I can offer that 56 MPG isn't bad at all - and I'd bet by this time next year, when you've really begun to have a feel for what these little cars can do for you, 60 MPG or better over that same road will be common.

If you've ever believed anything in your life, believe me when I suggest that properly driving these little cars is so different from anything you've encountered before, it is just something that has to be experienced to be appreciated but note, it may take six or more months of daily driving an Insight to begin to understand this.

As for that freeway driving, go at it! These little cars can handle it. Get into the right hand lane and don't be afraid to employ that accelleration which is augmented by the electric motor. Once up to speed, stay in the right hand lane and settle down to fifty or so MPH (about 2,000 RPM) when on a relatively straight and level run. That little car will probably surprise you at just how well it performs - and watch that MPG rate climb!. Sixty MPG and better will prove to be "the norm."

By the way - best of luck with the little beast! :)

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know on my 5 spd, when I start climbing a hill, the mpg will fall to about 50 then I give it just a little more gas and the asst will kick in and I will accelerate but maintain the 50mpg, using the electric and not loosing mpg, but if I didnt give it more gas, it would still get 50mpg but no acceleration without the asst.

Ohh and lean burn is when you are cruising with light throttle, and you wil feel a little change in power, and watch the mpg go upto between 75 and 100 or more if going down hill. Then when it comes out of lean burn, will feel like the asst kicks in but dont and mpg will fall to between 50-60. Usually happens when you give it just a little too much gas.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
When driving in town I try to shift / keep my rpms below 2,000. When going out of town I usually only go to 4th gear to keep from lugging / being under powered, but keep enough pressure off the pedal to stay of 75mpg on the instantaneous meter. I just did a 275 mile trip on sat and averaged 74mpg, average highway speed was 55 - 65, mostly fall mountain driving.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For better mpg, let your speed drop a bit as you go up the hill (traffic permitting, of course), then let gravity help you speed up on the other side.
I do that to - and yes - it does work.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... just did a 275 mile trip on sat and averaged 74mpg, average highway speed was 55 - 65, mostly fall mountain driving.
And to think, people didn't want to buy these cars only a few short years ago!

Wow!

Did they miss out on something good!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, weren't there always waiting lists that didn't get fulfilled?

·
Registered
4 Posts
james said:
"I know on my 5 spd, when I start climbing a hill, the mpg will fall to about 50 then I give it just a little more gas..."

For better mpg, let your speed drop a bit as you go up the hill (traffic permitting, of course), then let gravity help you speed up on the other side.
Can only drop so far then have to give it gas, we have pretty big hills here in north georgia, Thats what I do I will get upto a good 70-75 downhill and drop to about 55-60 going up but then have to give it gas or will keep dropping, thats when I have to use the asst to help and like I said if I am going to get 50mpg and maintain the 60 might as well use the asst to accell

·
Registered
274 Posts
uhtrinity said:
If I'm not mistaken, weren't there always waiting lists that didn't get fulfilled?
Possibly for 5 speeds and depending on location. I got my 02 CVT as a leftover in 03 for $6K off sticker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had my 2003 CVT for 9 months now and in my experience 56 in the city is decent. Maybe 80% of my driving is highway
and it does better there, usually between 60 and 75mpg depending a lot on conditions (wind speed and direction, temperature, traffic). But if I drive it around town, on shorter trips, high 50's is typical.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I drive in similar conditions with twisty hilly country roads with stops and starts, except in Central PA the air temperature is a bit cooler than yours which has a negative effect on mileage. My mileage with a 5 speed MT on these roads varies between 62 to 50 mpg, again mostly depending on temperatures and how careful I am to use good Insight driving habits. So your CVT mileage sounds good for a newbee.

·
Registered
31 Posts
psuinsight- LETS GO STATE! I'm a psu alum from '04 and am regularly making trips back to see the family and to swing by Clem's BBQ... Keep an eye out for the blue bullet!

fooey1987- Get that tire pressure up to 50psi if it isn't there already and the more time spent driving the insight will invariably lead to higher mpg's as you start to learn the capabilities of the car. Not a bad starting point, but I suspect that within a few months, you'll see +5 mpg easy. Also, always beep and wave whenever you pass another insight for an immediate mpg gain :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have never seen another Insight!!!!

In 5th gear, I find I cannot maintain 55mph without assist...even on level ground. What is fifth gear good for? The only time I have used fifth gear was on a 933 mile marathon (14 hours) from Columbia, SC to Tyler, Texas, last Saturday, and I was maintaining 70 to 85 MPH most of the trip and got 69 MPG for the run. I was thrilled at that mileage. But, I am just about fed up with 54 mpg around here and am about to try 85 MPH in town if I can get my mileage back...#:cool: My best mileage in town seems to be from watching the Tach instead of the MPG meter. If I keep it between 2000 and 4000 RPM the mileage is best, using 1st to about 20 mph, because 1st doesnt seem to use assist, then 2nd to 40 mph and third to 50 mph and 4th to 65 mph then into 5th. If I let the revs drop then the mileage goes way down AND the assist kicks in.

Also, I have read that getting the throttle open ASAP reduces "pumping losses". And that using assist when you have the charge to do it helps mileage. BUT...I find that opening the throttle will drop MPG and that causes assist to kick in and use electric also and I dont gain any MPG, just use more gas AND more electric with no precieved gain. What am I not seeing here.

Again I say, I have never seen another Insight!!!! except in pictures.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi Jim.

Your experience seems a bit confusing. You should easily be able to maintain 55 mph on the level (no wind) in 5th gear without assist. Even a slight uphill grade (hardly noticeable in a regular car) will make it harder, and may require downshifting to stay out of assist. I frequently use 4th and 3rd on the highway on short uphills or when there is any wind, just to try to save my charge for long uphills when I know I will need it.

Also I think you might be running your engine too fast. In town I hardly every get over 2000 rpm, and typically cruise at 35 mph in 4th or 5th. The computer doesn't seem to suggest 5th until you get to 40, but I try to run the engine as slowly as possible. It's wierd after years of being told not to lug the engine to suddenly be driving around at 800 rpm or 1200 rpm or whatever, but it works. I seem to get the best overall mileage at about 40 mph on level ground on a hot day (not a problem right now!) in 5th gear. Those lucky enough to have a commute with those conditions (and no stoplights) can get into the 90 mpg range in the summer without any difficulty.

Are your tires pumped up to at least 44 psi?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yes, the tires are at 44 psi. But it may be the fact that I HAVE to run the AC this time of year with my wife in the car...and that is usual. I am wondering if my problem is that I carry two people and I have to run the AC. Those that don't live in the deep south don't really understand what it is to drive in 90+ weather in traffic without AC

1 - 20 of 40 Posts