Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I only have a 10.1 gallon tank, and I fill up with mid grade which cost 2.02 9/10 of a gallon now, so it costs a little over $20, but as fast as our fuel prices are going up it will soon be at $3.

When I had my show car I had placed a turbonator in the intake system, which did add about a 3mpg increase(yes, i know not a big difference).
Unfortunatly they are no longer in business, and I sold my car at hot import night a couple years ago. I would of taking it out, but they came in different sizes so it would not of worked anyways.

I was wondering if anyone else knows of any add-on devices, or anything that will increase my insights MPG.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You must be joking....

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but when someone uses the word "turbonator", "show car" and "hot import nights" in one paragraph, I form a pretty strong opinion about them...

Anyway, ignoring that, I think you'll have a hard time buying anything to increase the mileage in a car that already has a weight-saving carbon fibre dipstick :)

You need to change your driving habits. First, inflate the tires to around 50PSI. 2nd, realise that you don't need to be the first to race from one red light to another. Accellerate slowly, using about 4 bars of assist. This way, you'll either glide through the next green light, or have plenty of time to downshift to 2nd, barely tap the brake, and get full regen. 3rd, learn to drive in lean burn mode. Plenty of info in the knowledge base, but staying in lean burn on the highway is how many of us get our extreme mileage numbers....I'm currently doing 70 city, 90+ highway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is no joke. Sorry I won Hot import nights best civic 2 years in a row(LJ garcia was not entered though... if you even know who that is). and about 20 other shows, I have about 40 trophies in the attic. so there is n othing to joke about. Unlike these posers that saw F&F which me and my car was in, in the race scene in F&F 1. But anyways....
well, I am getting 62 mpg right now, and tires are at 45psi. Just wondering if anyone knew of anything else that could be done to get more mpg. Besides, the simple obvious things.

Yeah except I have a CVT.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know there are fuel additives, which don't really make a big difference. since all they contain is a stronger concentrait of what is already in their fuel....

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you really want to improve the mileage there's pretty much only a couple (mechanical) things you can do. To improve mileage while accelerating or decelerating you have to increase the thermal efficiency of the ICE, or possibly con the IMA into being used more in lieu of the ICE when appropriate. (That possibility included only for completeness, it would probrably be very difficult to actually do.) To improve mileage while cruising at a steady speed, the only energy being expended is used to replace that lost from aerodynamic drag and friction, so you'd have to reduce one or both of those two.

Reducing friction with the road can be obtained with low rolling resistance tires and high tire pressures. Not sure what might be done as far as friction within the drivetrain. Friction within the engine can be reduced by using the recommended lightweight oil. And I guess changing it when it gets dirty.

Aerodynamic drag, I'm not sure what you can do about. The car is already pretty aerodynamic, but this would probrably be the best place to improve MPG, if you could find something to improve. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe removing the side mirrors and replacing them with closed circuit cameras and in-car monitors. The biggest source of drag would probrably be the air duct in the front grille, but if you block it off you won't get as much air over your radiator. Plus blocking it off with something flat might not be that much of an aerodynamic improvement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wow, a cvt with 62mpg and only 45psi tires? Sounds like your doing better than everyone here that has a cvt. Most of us should be asking you for advice.

My CVT's lmpg is 53.1 (80k miles) at 50psi. I get about 60mpg during the summer months. The winter is what kills me(i haven't done any winter mods). Not knowing where your from, make sure you do the winter mods if it gets cold. Also, people are saying the mobil 1 0w-20 oil improves mpg a bit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off of the top of your head.... actually that insight is on the internet.
Yeah I have Mobil 1 0w-30 full synthetic, because they don't carry ow-20 by mobil 1 here... But yeah of course its better.

Also, i live in orlando, florida so I don't get cold weather here. sorry

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Arsenic1250:

___First off, what kind of mileage were you getting in the other automobiles you have driven? Not with some magic fuel elixir either as that is a joke in these parts but down to the tenths type mileage? If you don’t know, you have a long road ahead of you … Improving aerodynamics of the Insight and such is not going to help much if at all whereas your driving habits will. Press up the RE92’s. Throw out the 0W-30 as that is molasses in comparison to 0W-20. It is the 20W at temperature you are concerned with as well as Mobil1 Trisyn’s kinematic viscosity at operating temperature.

___Are you driving all city, all highway, mix? Bumper to bumper or open highway? Distance to and from? With those questions answered, you or we can begin to hone your fuel economy skills. If you have patience (most do not), 100 + mpg over 50 miles on the highway is beginning to become more the norm with warm weather here near Chicago. No A/C by the way. Use A/C and you will be lucky to see 70. I am assuming you have a 5-speed, not a CVT? You will also have to learn to drive w/ load, not speed. If you don’t, you will never see the extremes. In Florida, you won’t need the warm air mods until mid winter when you do eventually see 50 degrees or less.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:g4bxart9][email protected][/email:g4bxart9]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Arsenic1250:

___Ahh, I see, a CVT. 45 isn’t enough. Run 50 + and swap out the 0W-30 w/ 0W-20. Learn to drive with load and you are approaching the CVT’s limits.

___Now how about that drive again? I didn’t see that posted yet? The technique and your patience will be the key afterwards. What kind of mileage were you receiving down to the tenths in previously driven automobiles. If you don’t know, you probably are using the segment or Trip A/B, right? Time to get out the calculator or PDA and create an excel mileage spreadsheet.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2rf2dp28][email protected][/email:2rf2dp28]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is different all the time, never a repeating route. And I just put the 0w-30 syn in because there is no mobil 1 0w-20 in my area. hopefully there will be when i go to do the next oil change

1 - 11 of 11 Posts