Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nope

Nope I've never seen another insight at a gas station not including my self. In fact i havn't seen any hybrids at gast stations at any time and i live near Los Angeles there are plenty out here. Some day i'll see one, its not like we spend much time there.

G

·
0 Posts
I just noticed mine at the pumps. I have only seen a few Insights in the area and they have been moving in opposite direction, so I figure the chance of seeing another Insight at the pumps is slim, as would be the chance of driving alongside another Insight going my direction at my speed....

rodney
'03 silver 5 speed no A/C
barefoot with the windows down

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rodneyAB said:
as would be the chance of driving alongside another Insight going my direction at my speed....
i was driving on the interstate last week and i saw a silver insight, like mine, and i had to speed up to get next to him. i honked and waved and he looked over and smiled and waved. it was cool.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nope never encounterted one at a gas station. Besides just the normal odds of being at a station at the same time as a vehicle that exists in such low numbers and frequents gas stations so seldom, I also think there is a possible third factor. If you guys are like me, you don't like going to a gas station because you feel that putting that 9 gallons of gas into the tank makes you just another greenhouse gas producer. Its almost embarassing because you picture people thinking "that car isn't so special, he is filling up just like the rest of us." Not that this keeps you from needing gas but it may keep you from hitting gas stations at busy times (atleast on a subconscious level).

Anyone agree or am I just so obsessed with my car that I allow myslef to ponder such inane topics.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I and probably lots of our fellow Forum members can understand and sympathise with your 'obsession'.

We ought to invent a name for it - insightism or hybridobia etc - but am I now getting too inane as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
About the obsession, I totally agree.

I was just at the gas station yesterday for the first time in 2 and a half weeks. A woman approched me and asked me how I liked the car, of course I told her I loved it. She said that she had looked at one with her husband and they almost bought it. She said they had four kids and the car was too small. I have two kids and I told her that we have another car to haul kids in.

I could see by the look in her eye that she wanted an Insight, I almost told her sometimes you have to live a little :wink: I think the not so great Honda dealership down the road also discouraged her.

As for the gas thing and being embarassed I look at it this way. I was spending 30-50 dollars a week on gas before I bought the Insight, for the last two and a half weeks I spent $6.75 a week. (actually less, that is not taking the half week into account) So yes, I'm still contributing but on a much smaller scale. You have to start somewhere.

I look at my time by the pump as a good opportunity to be an Insight ambassador. I don't think the people watching me think "Look at him, he's still got to pump gas." rather I think they are thinking "Look at all the gas I have to pump compared to what he is pumping."

My favorite is when people ask what kind of gas mileage the car gets and I say "I get 60-70 mpg, sometimes better." and watch their jaw hit the ground.

As the woman at the gas station walked away she said "It's good to know that someone is doing their part for the environment." Those comments make my day. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ya know the odds of 2 insights going in the same direction at the same speed is Rare I pulled up to a stoplight last week and guess what was sitting next to me another blue insight 5 speed (that I didnt know) a frend of mine has a 2001 blue 5 speed and it seems to draw attention whenever he is in town and we go to lunch or something.

·
Registered
804 Posts
For More Info, Come to www.insightcentral.net

I have been asked a number of times at gas stations and the parking lot. Since people are busy, I mention http://www.insightcentral.net after briefly giving my personal experiences with the car.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Just saw another insight on campus (IUPUI-Indianapolis) about 15 minutes ago.
Was that anyone in this group?

I noticed the person was looking at my car as I drove by.

Also saw a red fly by me on the interstate a few days ago.

G

·
0 Posts
Insights in parallel

I was just about to cross the Sonoma/Marin border, glancing in my rear view mirror, I spotted a silver Insight overtaking me in the "fast" lane rolling along with the Guzzlers. For a brief moment we were window to window, I looked over at the driver, who did not look back, and then the Insight was gone in a long line of speeding Guzzlers....

rodney
'03 silver MT no A/C
barefoot to the pedal

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had one cruise by me in southeastern ontario, going north. Two people, fully loaded with stuff in the hatch; there was only one occupant in my car (me). Zipped right by.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Had my car since August and haven't been at a gas station with another hybrid. Pulled along side another Insight a few months ago at a red light. I see a couple others occasionally on my daily 120 mile round trip. Odds of needing gas and being at the same station at the same time I'd have to guess are pretty slim. Drove home from Texas to WV when I bought the car, and I was looking for another one, but saw none.

G

·
0 Posts
Its been more than 530 miles since i was last at the Pumps. Today I saw a silver Insight after it had sped by me :shock: going as fast as those Prius drivers do when they're in the guzzle lane...I'm working on my high milage technique so I did not even try to catch it :oops: I rolled off the freeway to the first stoplight and the FCD read 83.8MPG over 22miles, best yet, saw 80.6 the other day at the same signal. I coasted to several more stop signs in the auto-stop mode, and then coasted thru the parking structure and saw two more silver Insights, parked mine with the FCD reading 80.2, another record high. Two weeks ago I inflated tires to 50 psi :twisted: , still my round trip MPG today was only 72.8.

rodney
'03 silver MT
feathering barefoot

·
Registered
804 Posts
I Go Weekly Out of Habit

Out of habit, I go to the gas station weekly. Seldom do I pump more than five gallons.

Read somewhere that filling up more frequently avoids gas loss by vaporization. Maybe someone knows more about that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have heard the same thing Delta Flyer. I also fill up sooner than later (usually when I see a station with a good gas price).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never seen another hybrid while at the gas station, but I came out of the grocery store one day and found another parked two spaces away! I've passed some Insights and a Prius on the roads around here too. (Uncannily, I encountered two different Insights on consecutive nights on the same stretch of highway, the week before purchasing my Insight.) I think the problem is that while Ann Arbor has several hybrid owners, I usually fill up my tank a few miles from work, 30-odd miles away (where the gas prices are cheapest on my drive - Ann Arbor usually runs 10-20 cents higher for some reason). The only hybrid owners I know of over there are the mother of one of my students (who has a Prius) and the husband of a colleague (who drives a Civic hybrid).

I do fill up about once a week when I'm working, since I put about 350-400 miles per week on the car. (I usually try to time that for Wed or Thurs, since the gas stations around here tend to jack prices around the weekends.) I must admit that I went the entire Xmas break without stopping though - I had filled up the night before break started, and still had plenty of gas when it was time to go back to work. I'll probably only need a tank or two to cover all of July & August.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
fizzixrat said:
since I put about 350-400 miles per week on the car
One thing I have noticed on this website is that fellow Insighters appear to do a lot of mileage. I travel to work by train and only use my Insight for leisure travel, averaging 300 miles per month.

Although it is better for everyone concerned for us to drive in our Insights than a normal car, how many Americans on this website actually live near where they work? I know public transport can be limited in America, but does anyone on this website use this form of transport?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts