Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard gasoline consumption has peaked and may in fact finally be declining here in the USA ... any of you see any evidence of this? Lots of SUVs, old gas clunkers and small "cowboy" type trucks for sale and the like?

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm not sure the demand for gasoline has peaked but I think it is clear the available supply has peaked. Further, it is clearly evident that future demand and thus, prices will continue to rise as other countries need more gasoling to fuel their economic growth.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aha, I found it.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/mttupus2a.htm

It doesn't specifically say, "U.S. Oil Consumption," instead it says " petroleum products supplied." I think it is reffering to total U.s. oil consumption and not imports because on the same page there were a bunch of links to graphs and charts that specifically said imports/OPEC imports ect.

So, yes. America is consuming more oil than ever. But actually, it peaked in 2005, a little more than a hair above 2006, and there is no 2007 yet.

The difference in consumption b/w now and thirty years ago seems too little though...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts