Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've never posted before because I didn't think I had anything worth posting. I've learned a lot on this forum, but I now have a problem that, even after extensive research (here) and crawling over my car, I have not been able to solve.

For the last two weeks or so, my 2000 Insight (Manual Trans, AC) has been acting up; the gauge readout quit working. It runs and drives fine, but no readouts on the gauges. And I can't for the life of me figure it out. I have checked grounds, power sources, voltages, and ohm readings until I'm blue in the face. (From being upside down in the footwell of my car, checking things...). In the cluster, the speedo and odometer, fuel gauge, battery gauge and load/assist bars, all the MPG readouts--all dead. No idea what gas mileage I'm getting, how far I've gone, or how slow I'm going. Very frustrating when I'm used to being continuously entertained by my dashboard as I drive! Also, no illumination at night. The HVAC panel is dark, too. During the daytime, I can see the readout just fine. Yes, the AC still works, but at night, I can't see anything... The IMA and Check Engine lights work (both ON, because the IMA boost/assist works for only a few miles after a grid charge before both lights come on and I'm boost-less, again, and both lights are on, as usual. I've replaced (not just pulled, checked, and reinstalled, but replaced) various fuses, pulled/replaced every gang plug I can get my hands on. I've pulled the cluster at least seven or eight times now; the car runs fine, everything works, but no dash readout!

Everything was fine until I pulled the cluster to replace the four microswitches under the reset buttons. I soldered the new switches in and put everything back together and turned on the key--and the cluster was dark. Hmmm. I pushed the clutch pedal down and started the engine--and the cluster lit up as normal. Hmmm. Must have had something that needed to reset. OK. I idled in the driveway for a few minutes, verified that I could now reset both A and B trip odometers, then shut it off and let it keep charging on the grid charger. That was Saturday afternoon, Feb 15. Monday morning the 17th I drove down the hill (~ 2 miles) and all was well. Then I turned on the headlights--and the display went dark. And it has been dark ever since. Sounds like a classic stolen ground, right? Well, I can't find it! I've pulled the bolts for G401 and G402 and sanded and re-bolted. Along with the fore-mentioned fuse and gang plug R&Rs, I've checked for power and voltage, ground and ohm readings, to the one ground and two powers on the A plug on the back of the cluster. All checks good, but the cluster remains un-lit.

I bought the car from the original owner in Dec 2011 with 75k on the odometer, and it now has ~208k. Yes, I am going to Danville this Saturday; my plan was to buy an IMA battery and maybe some other parts, but now my first priority is to get the dash fixed! I've thought of getting a new(er) car, but there is no car on the market that I would rather drive than my Insight! It gets 50 mpg TWID (The Way I Drive). Yes, "only" 50 mpg... I use it for quick commuting, 103 miles a day. "Hypermiling" to me is drafting at 65-75 mph behind a truck to get ~ 65 mpg on the final commute home, to get ~535 miles on the tank. Yes, it will do that in the summer when the daytime half of the commute is 90+ degrees with the AC on. Other than that, I'm driving with fast traffic. I respect those that drive to get 80 or 100 or more mpg, but I don't have the patience. I drive my Insight as fast, fuel-efficient transportation, not as an exercise in high gas mileage. What other car will do this? Has to have a stick shift, has to have AC, has to have a cd of .25 or less. Has to be an Insight Gen 1! Love it!

OK, loved it. When I get my infotainment center working again, I will love it again!

At this point, I think it needs a cluster. My testing has ruled out everything else. Right? Ha! Seriously, at this point I'm ready to try a cluster, but I've been doing this (fixing cars) long enough to know that it will be the last thing I try, and that may not be the cluster. sigh.

See you in Danville on Saturday. Hopefully somebody will bring a cluster for sale? I'll be the guy in the silver 2000 Honda Insight. OK, if that doesn't narrow it down enough, I'm 6' 4", have grey hair, I'll have just driven 53 miles from my home in San Bruno, and I'll be pointing to my un-lit cluster.

Please excuse my lengthy post, but hopefully I answered a bunch of questions ahead of time...

Thank you,

Michael Mc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops. Not the A plug, the B plug on the back of the cluster. B9, B8 and B16. B9 has 12V power all the time, and B9 only with the ignition on, while B16 supplies the ground. All these to the "Voltage Feed" for the CPU that controls the "LCD Driving Circuit and Display", aka the infotainment center. Gotta get ready to go to work now. I'm confident my Insight will get me there and back, but I'll be so bored...

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Sounds like a problem for Mario to solve - he knows a lot about the gauge cluster. I think he'll be at that Danville meet, so you might get a chance to ask him about it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, eq1. I will definitely look for Mario in Danville.

Gawd, I feel like a kid--suffering from withdrawal without my favorite video game!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Honda Hybrid 442 - Many thanks, but it looks like I have one lined up. I met Issac and Scott at the Danville meet, and Issac spotted the problem and Scott has a display hopefully destined for my car. Very high hopes! I will post details after I've installed the display and it is entertaining me again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts