Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 MT just turned 160000 and as I was driving it the gauge cluster suddenly went dark. Speedometer, tach, gas, IMA charge/assist, odometer, mileage all dark. It seems like the speedometer is still working cause I can see it in bright light. The rest?

After searching the Forum, here is what I have done:

1) Cleaned all contacts and replaced all fuses in under dash fuse box.
2) tested battery which tests strong both at rest and under load.
3) took apart dash and cleaned and reconnected the plugs on the back of the gauge cluster.
4) cluster had a lot of bleeding (the blob) so found a used cluster and put it in.

Still no gauges And now the maintenance light is stuck on as is the low fuel light despite a full tank of gas.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,681 Posts
slim
Check and make sure the "contrast" button is working for a starter.
Some of the elec. gurus will respond shortly as the search function sometimes is worthless..
Welcome to the FAMILY.
Enjoy.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Did you check your ground straps under the hood, there are 4 of them. A lot of people have had strange electrical issues that affected the instrument cluster, they found bad ground straps that caused the issue. Not saying that is it but just one more thing to eliminate.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
also agree on checking/cleaning the ground straps.

"Back when" I did some "point of shutdown" testing on the 12v system.

Once the electrical system got to the bottom, the gauge cluster went dark.
The only 12v lighting that would still work was the eyebrow background lights at the top of the gauges.

Just my observation.

Randall

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you changed the cluster for another unit and it has the same issue then it's almost certainly a 12v supply or gnd problem in the wiring to the cluster. IMHO

Does the cluster light up at all? When headlights switched on?
Pressing the brightness button do anything?

I'm not convinced by the fuses yet. The others lights being stuck on also makes me suspicious. A blown ima backup fuse (not the main one in the back) causes some strange symptoms. Others might do the same.

Look in the manual to identify the 12v feed and ground wires in the cluster wires/plugs and check they have the reqd voltages/continuity. If they don't you will have to trace them back beyond the fault point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
your dash lights

Slim were you able to fix the problem with your dash cluster? i am having the same problem with my dash cluster, only the maint req'd light and low fuel light is on, nothing else is working. please help thanks jaaj

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Highwater Randall, I guess I grasping here. I just don't know what else to do. I was just hoping slim figured it out.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts