Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my GAZ shocks for our 2005 Insight back in November of 2014 as part of the group buy here. They have been fantastic, but I recently have seen leakage on both and after a spirited drive today through wine country its evident they are not what they once were.

So I'm curious to know what the experience of others on the board has been. Is this abnormal, or should we just expect to get 4 to 5 years of life from them? Also what recourse do we have? They are still much more affordable and a better handling product than OEM...

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I have some, but it hasn't been very long, only about 1/2 a year. I did notice when installing them and adjusting that higher settings start to make oil-pressure noise (which has been mentioned elsewhere). Makes me think that at higher settings the pressure is getting 'up there' and might cause premature wear, like maybe seals or something... I think the earlier iterations, such as yours from the group buy, didn't have as much adjustability. Mine have I think about 22 settings/clicks, and I have them set to something like 13 or 14 clicks from the highest setting (so about 9 from the bottom). That's with stiffer than stock springs, about 150 lbs/in... They don't make noise at my setting...

Point is, the higher settings seem like they'd be pretty useless unless someone had really stiff springs, yet unless one were being quite attentive when adjusting, the tendency would probably be to set them too stiff...

Do you know what setting you have yours on? How stiff?

Another thing is, stock springs are weak and there'd probably be a tendency to try to compensate with the adjustable shocks. The springs should control most of the downward movement and the shocks should be adjusted to control the quality, rate, etc. of upward movement... With weak springs one would probably dial it up to make the downward movement more controlled and, at the same time, the rebound would become too stiff. The end result is that the shocks end up doing more work than they should...

Anyway, food for thought, not saying that's what you've done, nor that the GAZ shocks can't take it for sure...

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
The warranty is 2 years. The shocks a rebuildable. I have a few sets of seals, however have never yet tried to break one down yet.

I don’t know what it would cost to ship them across the pond and back to have them done at GAZ. Possibly find a local shop that could do them and order seals from GAZ.

Scott

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
GAZ shocks leaking

I also have the early shocks that are leaking oil after 150k to the point of 1/2" of free play in the shaft, it sounded like some thing was loose/hitting when going over bumps in the rear of the car that got louder over time, have replaced them with new GAZ shocks all's good now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine also from group buy. Never could get satisfactory damping on both compression and rebound on same setting. Removed them from car when it went to jy on state emissions failure purchase program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts