Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on some old posts from 2009 about the 2nd gear synchro going out causing the grind from 3rd to 2nd. Most replies said to just double clutch to solve the problem, which I am doing. I was curious though if this will eventually wear out the transmission. Has anyone replaced the synchronizer? My insight is a 2006, has 166000 miles and batteries that were just replaced. Sugestions?:(

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
I have read on some old posts from 2009 about the 2nd gear synchro going out causing the grind from 3rd to 2nd. Most replies said to just double clutch to solve the problem, which I am doing. I was curious though if this will eventually wear out the transmission. Has anyone replaced the synchronizer? My insight is a 2006, has 166000 miles and batteries that were just replaced. Sugestions?:(
I have physically seen what causes the grind, and I don't believe it will. My car has 311k miles on it and has the grind, and the previous owner said it started grinding around 250k and he never double clutched or anything after it started. So yea.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
818 Posts
It's definitely bad to keep grinding it. Double-clutching shouldn't cause a ton of harm if you do it right, because it emulates an upshift (it's like going from first to second). I've been double-clutching in my Insight for 30k miles, which is not a lot, but the previous owner was doing it for about 25k miles before that. Still no sign of trouble. You get used to it after a little while.

To replace the synchros, you'll obviously need to drop the transmission. But what most people do, instead of replacing them altogether, is to grind off some tabs on the 1st and 2nd gear synchros to effectively make them single cone instead of double cone.
See these two posts:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...put-shaft-bearing-replacement.html#post206046
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...put-shaft-bearing-replacement.html#post206078

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's great info. I got the car from my dad who bought it new. He says it's been grinding like that as long as he can remember but has been double clutching it the whole time. I am new to driving this car so I'm sure there are some unique techniques to driving it. Any good threads to check out regarding this? I've never had a hybrid so the regen stuff for the battery is new to me.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Bought mine at 240K miles and been double clutching it since then, now have 314K miles on it. Like Mario said, if you do it right there is no harm to the gears. Here is a simple trick to help you know how much to rev the motor.

1- when preparing to go from 3rd to 2nd gear look at what speed you are going.
2- what ever that speed is add 2 zero's to it and that is what you will rev the motor to. ex: if going 35 MPH you will rev the engine to 3500 RPM.
3- (here is where most people get it wrong) depress the clutch, take out of gear to neutral and then let the clutch back out
4- rev motor to the number determined in step2 (key here is clutch MUST be out)
5- depress clutch and down shift from neutral to 2nd.

The adding two zeros trick does not work for down shifting to 1st but it is pretty rare that you need to do that. If I'm rolling up to a light and need to down shift to 1st I'll bump the RPM up to about 2k and it usually goes in just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
carmelscene:

Welcome. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Double-clutching if done correctly will not harm the tranny and will prevent further damage. Common practice on big rigs for almost ever.

Consider updating your profile with your general location, there may be an insighter near you who can help. There are a few folk on here who know how to rebuild the mt with a mod that prevents the synchro / grind problem from recurring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This forum is great and glad I joined. I updated my info as well. I currently live in Myrtle Beach, SC but am moving to flagstaff next month.

I will use that rule of thumb also thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
When you get out west you can contact Scott on this site he fixes the grind and replaces all bearings in your trans. I just had one done, just as good as new. Well worth it if you're going to keep your car. Once he fixes the grind it won't come back.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Welcome to AZ

This forum is great and glad I joined. I updated my info as well. I currently live in Myrtle Beach, SC but am moving to flagstaff next month.

I will use that rule of thumb also thanks!
Welcome to AZ, I sent you a private message about getting on my AZ owners contact list.

EDIT: Just wait until you get to meet Willy with his turbo Insight!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome to AZ, I sent you a private message about getting on my AZ owners contact list.

EDIT: Just wait until you get to meet Willy with his turbo Insight!
Flagstaff is a very nice area, enjoy.
Are there any Insighters up in the Williams area? I have been looking up there for land so I can put a big garage on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been using a different method for about 4 years instead of double clutching (I never wanted to spend any $$ to repair or replace the tranny)... I don't know if it always works, or if it only works when the 1st gear syncro is still active... On the downshift from 3rd, I 'touch' towards 1st gear before dropping into 2nd - don't push hard - I think of it as activating the the 1st gear syncro, then using the matching speeds to drop into 2nd instead of 1st...

·
Premium Member
Southern California
818 Posts
That does work, but it will wear out your first gear synchro a lot faster than normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the problem for 4 years before I had the transmission rebuilt - but it was never a problem for me... I'm not sure why it worked, but this is what I did... When downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, I would press the clutch down, then slide through neutral directly towards 1st - press LIGHTLY into 1st (far enough to begin to engage the sync only, but not far enough to grind the gears since the RPM is too high for the dual downshift), then drop into 2nd (without any grinding) and release the clutch normally - I'm thinking that the 1st gear synchromesh starts turning, and the provides the 2nd gear sync just enough rotation to work...

·
Registered
864 Posts
You could probably just float it while you're at it as if it didn't have synchros. Give it a little bit of gas, pull back on the stick while letting off and it slides into neutral. Blip the throttle to rev it slightly above where it should be once shifted and push it into gear. You shouldn't even have to touch the clutch to down shift. Done right it shouldn't cause any significant wear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts