Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when viewing the power flow screen on the main radio display, a small gear icon will occasionally appear in the middle but i can't figure out what it indicates. It's NOT there more often then it is. It doesn't seem to be consistent with any particular distribution in power. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It means Engine Drive is used at steady highway speeds; the gasoline engine is coupled directly to the front wheels. This is the parallel hybrid mode.
Maybe i just don't understand enough about hybrids, but how is that any different then when the power flow shows engine only and no power from or to the battery? I've seen the gear in all combinations of power flow.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
EDIT... lol... missed by a few minutes.

Because the engine drives both the electric generator and wheels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've noticed that when viewing the power flow screen on the main radio display, a small gear icon will occasionally appear in the middle but i can't figure out what it indicates. It's NOT there more often then it is. It doesn't seem to be consistent with any particular distribution in power. Thanks
From what I recall in my reading, it only appears at about 45 MPH and higher and when cruising at a steady rate. I think it's like the high gear (5th or so) of a regular car that is used when cruising at higher speeds.... and supposedly this is when it's more efficient to use the gas engine to directly power the wheels than using the gas engine to power the generator to power the electric traction motor.

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
Well, yeah. The car has no transmission, so the engine can only be directly connected to the car at a speed that is correct for its RPM range.

Sam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts