Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week I noticed that when I shift into reverse, the gears begin to grind on my 2000 Insight (approx 48k miles). If I press on the clutch several times in succession, it appears to engage into gear smoothly. I normally only need to use reverse when the engine is cold, could this have anything to do with it?

I also noticed recently that the clutch doesn't always come up smoothly, about 2/3 the way up, if feels like it is rubbing against something. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
Check the fluid in your master cylinder for the clutch. It's on the firewall next to the battery.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Try shifting into 2nd before shifting into reverse.
It will go into gear more easily.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also, I have always been told that releasing the clutch and trying again to get the clutch all the way down helps. I have never gotten that grinding sound the second time I try to depress the clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem fixed, but another question

I discovered that the clutch resevoir was almost completely empty. I don't see any noticable leaks anywhere, but can't imagine how or why all the fluid would dissapear. I've added Honda DOT-3 brake fluid and it seems to be much better.

Has this happened to anyone else? The car is past warranty so I'd hate to bring it in for no reason.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
gear noise

As both your clutch plate and brake pads wear down, the fluid in the reservoirs will also get lower. How many miles on the vehicle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts