Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At InsightFest-Columbus I talked with two people who said they had filled their gas tank with ~13 gallons of fuel. It was surmised that this was the actual capacity of the tank but a normal fill was limited by an air pocket. Does anyone have any empirical data to indicate this enlarged size, and if so is there a way a person could routinely overcome this "fake" 10 gallon limit ?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
There's a few long threads that go into this, one fairly recently. I'm not adept with the new search function so I was unable to uncover those quickly... The gist of it, as best as I can recall, is that the capacity is 10.6 gallons (40 liters), but under some ill-defined circumstances one can overfill the tank and it spills into the evap charcoal canister -- and it comes out to be around 13 gallons total.

·
Linsight Designer
1,774 Posts
Design is 10.6ish gallons. I actually overfilled mine to 12.8 on the way to insightfest... at the time, it made me think my fuel gauge was broken, as I drove 250 miles without the fuel gauge going down at all. However, on my way back, I thought I was out of gas (based on mileage driven), but was only able to put 8 gallons in... so yeah, it is certainly possible to overfill it. I always stop after the second shutoff, but I've never put more than 10.6 gallons in prior to last weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
mudder
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing