Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I searched the forum and found a couple recommendations from a while ago for remote start kits on a gen 1 honda insight. They lacked some detail (like only a brand name) and I wasn't sure if they were up to date (they were a few years old.)

I've trawled around myself and found the market to be very confusing for the un-initiated. I understand that I need a kit that is compatible with manual cars for the right safe 'arming' sequence, but I don't know if there are any extra gotchus related to Insight specific issues like having a Calpod switch already.

I also eventually might install my OBDII system from Peter once I finish retrofitting my battery. It was once installed in the car by previous owner but removed due to issues I suspect relate to the soldering job on the board (I found a bunch of solder joints to clean up.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a remote start kit for the gen 1 insight? Ideally something I install myself.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,877 Posts
I have never heard of any such animal.
(specific for Insight G1)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean for insight specifically or generally? Remote starts exist for manual cars and get around typical safety concerns by involving a remote sequence that ensures unless some switch failed that you cant remote start while in gear.

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
I had a customer a few years ago, who had an aftermarket alarm with this option. I installed a clutch switch and he used it often.

When he would park the car, he made sure the car was in neutral, the park brake was set and the clutch switch was in the “ON” position.

HTH,
Scott

·
Premium Member
9,877 Posts
Damn, the "break" word showed up again.................from a professional!
Had your coffee yet Scott?
Willie

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I've installed numerous remote starts on Gen1 Insights, and you can install a standard (for automatics) remote start since this car has a neutral safety circuit. (blue wire at the transmission or ECM). I didn't know that the first time, and ended up putting together my own neutral safety switch http://atheos.net/insight/security/car_012.jpg)

I'd recommend about any DEI product (Viper, Avital, clifford), I'm in the process of installing a Viper 350 & remote start (561r) in my Citrus right now. Got lazy yesterday, and didn't finish the job yet - but it's not too difficult. You'll need a relay to close the clutch circuit, and a method of neutralizing the immobilizer. (via a universal bypass, or something like a DBALL. Lots of options). I've already bypassed the immobilizer in my ECU, so that's one less step on this particular car.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Atheos! That seems exactly the kind of leg-up on the challenges that I was looking for, just hadn't met anyone with more details about their remote start install on an insight.

Seems to me I can't find exactly the viper system you installed, maybe because I was searching wrong and not sure everything about the naming scheme. For example Viper 350 shows up for me as: https://www.amazon.com/Viper-3105V-1-Way-Alarm-Keyless/dp/B00C1T8P1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549481857&sr=8-1&keywords=viper+350+remote+start which seems to be an alarm system and not as much remote start. I really only care about remote start, no one is breaking into my ratty insight :) <3.

Anywhere I can find more details about what is needed for the clutch relay or general details?

I looked into the immobilizer business and I don't see anything plug and play for cheap (like ~$50 is probably my budget for just the immobilizer). If you think I'm wrong, please let me know. This seems like a decent option for me since while this remote start systems business is way confusing to me, I have no trouble soldering things :). https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/30154-ecm-immobilizer-hack-$26-bucks.html

But if there's a reasonably priced alternative I am trying to buy more things off the shelf so I can finish more projects sooner :).

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Thanks Atheos! That seems exactly the kind of leg-up on the challenges that I was looking for, just hadn't met anyone with more details about their remote start install on an insight.

Seems to me I can't find exactly the viper system you installed, maybe because I was searching wrong and not sure everything about the naming scheme. For example Viper 350 shows up for me as: https://www.amazon.com/Viper-3105V-1-Way-Alarm-Keyless/dp/B00C1T8P1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549481857&sr=8-1&keywords=viper+350+remote+start which seems to be an alarm system and not as much remote start
Correct, I'm coupling a basic alarm with a Valet 561R remote start. That model remote start comes with a single remote, but can be installed as an add-on.

For the money, an Avital 4103 is perfect.

Anywhere I can find more details about what is needed for the clutch relay or general details?
yes, you're effectively closing a switch that tells the car the clutch has been depressed. You'll use a SPST relay (87 & 87a to either end of the clutch switch, 30 - not used, 85 +, 86 to neg ignition out on remote start) for this task.

I looked into the immobilizer business and I don't see anything plug and play for cheap[/url]
There's a Directed 555H on ebay for $14 which will work. Universals work too, but they require use of one of your keys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Awesome! Thank you!

To review, the Avital 4103 is something you recommend? Is this one that you've used in an insight before? I'm scanning its manual briefly and seeing it measures the alternator output to determine the engine cranking, wasn't sure if that was going to be a problem on the insight.

Is the 4103 XL the same as the 4103 recommended? Presumably just a longer range? https://www.amazon.com/Avital-4103LX-Remote-System-4-Button/dp/B002P4P1G2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549491688&sr=8-2&keywords=Avital+4103 is what I found when i searched Avital 4103.

Thanks for the immobilizer device info! I'll check that out, seems a bunch of sellers on ebay and it's not expensive.

The 4103 isn't technically recommended for a manual, I'm going to think about how much confidence I can have that there's a way to set it up safely. Probably a kill switch or something that I have to turn on before it is deemed ready to be remote started.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Awesome! Thank you!

To review, the Avital 4103 is something you recommend? Is this one that you've used in an insight before? I'm scanning its manual briefly and seeing it measures the alternator output to determine the engine cranking, wasn't sure if that was going to be a problem on the insight.
They can be configured to monitor your tach, or do what they call voltage sensing. Your Honda has over-crank protection, so you can simply program this for voltage sensing and turn up crank time.

Is the 4103 XL the same as the 4103 recommended? Presumably just a longer range?
Correct

The 4103 isn't technically recommended for a manual, I'm going to think about how much confidence I can have that there's a way to set it up safely. Probably a kill switch or something that I have to turn on before it is deemed ready to be remote started.
It's not recommended because few manual transmission cars have a neutral safety circuit. (almost all Nissan's do, this is only Honda I'm aware of that does).
The risks involved in installing a remote start onto a manual transmission car do not apply here so long as you wire up the neutral safety. The "manual transmission" style remote starts require you to stage them when you exit the car. You have to engage the remote start before you shut off the engine, and then it stays running until after you exit the car. If you open a door, it will not allow the remote start to operate and then you have to stage it all over again. Those style remote starts require a connection to your door triggers and parking brake switch, and are a general PITA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the real risk to a remote start on a manual without an interlock is you start car in gear and hit something?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I thought the real risk to a remote start on a manual without an interlock is you start car in gear and hit something?
correct, that is the risk. If you don't ensure a neutral safely factor, then you're subjecting yourself to a lot of liability. Not an issue with with G1 manual Insights so long as you utilize the neutral safety circuit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A+, didnt realize that was a neutral gear safety signal 🙂. I had not looked into the wiring yet (assumed neutral safety referred to some gnd wire.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts