Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 147k mileage. I know some of it is by now necessary (spark plugs replacement, fluid changes) but I just want to know if I'm being taken for a ride on any or all of these.

If folks could also tell me which ones would be easy to do on my own (As a non-car person who would be watching YouTube vids) that'd be great.

Here's the breakdown they gave me: Booklet.pdf

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,150 Posts
seems that they have either very high labor rates or they take an inordinate amount of time to do things.
I like the comprehensive presentation of what it requires. Very informative

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The estimate seems like a boilerplate. I am in So Cal and I have an excellent independent mechanic who takes good care of my 2010 2nd Gen. I have 165,000+ miles on it. My 150,000 mile service was around 10% of your estimate.

Swie Lee
626-858-5105
Covina, Ca

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
I'm at 147k mileage. I know some of it is by now necessary (spark plugs replacement, fluid changes) but I just want to know if I'm being taken for a ride on any or all of these.
Quite possibly. Most of the really expensive items they point out are in the "under vehicle" section. You need to decide for yourself, or get a second opinion, as to whether those items are in serious need, Transmission probably need fluid change. Shocks: Is it handling badly? Honda shocks usually last somewhat longer than 147K. Does the rear seem to bounce as you drive on rough roads? Their labor for valve adjustment is probably twice rate of an independent mechanic.
Steering: The steering boot they identify should be changed if cracked, but their labor rate is ridiculous. You can check this yourself with a flashlight.

Certainly the fluids should be changed.

I think you need to to find a highly regarded independent mechanic. Check with your neighbors and friends. Honda dealers have been know for their expensive repairs and most of the Gen1 crowd avoids them like the plague. One great resource is Jue Motors in Covina CA. Might be worth a drive. Scot there will give you an honest estimate. Don't panic - none of the items are dangerous currently:)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Agree. The part that is in greatest danger now is the wallet.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,221 Posts
I find it weird that there are NO yellow boxes filled in. Labor rate at $190.00 hr. I do like the presentation though.
It's

·
Registered
2000 MT
96 Posts
190/hr is kinda the rate I deduced as well. I know it's LA but damnnn... It's a Honda store. I'll 2nd Jue motors on word of mouth, have only heard good things. I'll check out my motor manual at work to get a ballpark as well. Seems high to me, and I'm a tech at mercedes benz.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Holy cow that's expensive! Almost 550 dollars for a spark plug exchange. If I'm reading it right the Gen 2 Insight has eight plugs. They can't be that hard to change yourself. It's a four-cylinder engine for crying out loud. Take a look under the car and see if the rear shocks are wet (leaking)? Then see if the car is bouncy when you press down in the rear. If neither is true they are full of it. My wife took our Sienna in for some recall work and they quoted her 4k to make it right again (plugs, shocks, fluids). 4K seems to be the number they like to throw around. Find an independent mechanic that you trust and save yourself 3,000 dollars or do the work yourself and save more. Either way......Run away!!

·
Registered
2000 MT
96 Posts
Just looked over the times for some of the items... RUN AWAY. If not an abnormally high labor per hour you are also getting raked over on labor time for a few items it seems... Valve adjustment is 2.6 under severe service. Spark plugs are 0.9 hr to replace. 0.9 for 190 in labor is wow... a bit high to say the least.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,221 Posts
But it is from the HOLLYWOOD area. EXPECTED.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Good to know I can get it done cheaper elsewhere.... hopefully by half? I guess my other question is does it make sense to sink another $2k into this vehicle that I bought for $8k 5 years ago? It's at 147k miles and is now 11 years old.

Holy cow that's expensive! Almost 550 dollars for a spark plug exchange. If I'm reading it right the Gen 2 Insight has eight plugs. They can't be that hard to change yourself. It's a four-cylinder engine for crying out loud. Take a look under the car and see if the rear shocks are wet (leaking)? Then see if the car is bouncy when you press down in the rear. If neither is true they are full of it. My wife took our Sienna in for some recall work and they quoted her 4k to make it right again (plugs, shocks, fluids). 4K seems to be the number they like to throw around. Find an independent mechanic that you trust and save yourself 3,000 dollars or do the work yourself and save more. Either way......Run away!!
I want to do the spark plugs myself and can get them pretty cheap on ebay but it looks like it takes a lot of specialized tools as well.... agh

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,150 Posts
There are no specialized tools necessary, only several metric-size sockets, some wrenches and several lengths of socket extensions.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't think you'd have to sink 2k into the car. The struts are probably fine. Unless they are leaking or the car is overly bouncy don't bother with them. I would bet that if you bought the plugs and took the car in for the valve adjustment they would just throw them in for you. If it's a good car spending a thousand dollars is worth the price of admission if you want to keep it a bit longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmmm... I take my ze2 to the dealership in Noho and have a regular service writer I use. They get seriously busy and turn around the work fast, I never wait for a part. Rarely do I ever need them to get a rental. For me that quote is legit.

Filters I never have em do. Go with the K&N system for intake and cabin.
For Oil and oil filter like prefer jiffy lube.

I did rear shocks once it was a total waste of money IMO. Unfortunately car has many quirks to its stock suspension.

The boot I would take a look at on a jack stand. You could install a moog boot elsewhere and possibly save.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You did not say where you work/live, someone may have a good mechanic suggestion that is nearby.

If the car runs well NOTHING on that list has to be done in the next 90 days.

Full synthetic oil and filter change every 5,000 miles. Drain and refill transmission with genuine Honda oil every 30,000 miles, No transmission "flush" ever.

The rest looks like it can wait for a better shop that won't take advantage of you.

My .02

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,969 Posts
$500 for the boots on the tie rods. That seems like a lot even for Hollywood unless they're including an alignment and like are replacing the whole tie rod assembly.

Don't buy the ebay spark plugs get OEM. The ebay ones are all counterfeit.

The spark plugs are annoying because there are 8 plugs total for this car and the back ones suck to get at (need to remove the wipers) but it's definitely do-able in your driveway in less than 2 hours time with no special tools.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts