Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for a G1 with a failing/failed high voltage pack, what's an appropriate 12V battery, especially given I may need to rely on same for starts and hybrid pack may be isolated/off for a prolonged period?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm betting any good 12 volt will do. I bought one at Costco and they carry Interstate. Of course it has little to do other than run a radio and lights. And come to think of it they would probably be running of generated electricity not the battery. But the Interstate is a very good battery and starts lots of cars without a problem.

·
Administrator
11,157 Posts
My advice is get the biggest and best quality one with the correct terminals that you can afford, and that will fit inside the OEM space.

Also make sure you do the higher voltage charge mod by cutting the dc-dc white/green wire. This will keep the battery at a higher (more normal) soc.

Also do the MCM Inhibit disable by cutting the dc-dc green/black wire to stop the MCM turning off the dc-dc when it feels like it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Optima makes an exact replacement battery for it. It is a deep cycle battery. Available at SummitRacing.com for the best price. They are a bit pricey but well worth the money. Keep a trickle charger on it when not in use and it may never go bad.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd caution the purchase of Optima batteries. The company has gone through a series of owners with quality declining each step of the way. Costco stopped carrying them because they had too many returns. I have used them in the past, before Exide bought them, when they were great batteries. Exercise caution and get an airtight warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd caution the purchase of Optima batteries. The company has gone through a series of owners with quality declining each step of the way. Costco stopped carrying them because they had too many returns. I have used them in the past, before Exide bought them, when they were great batteries. Exercise caution and get an airtight warranty.
My experience has been nothing but good. . I have one in my Top Alchohol Tragster that is 13 years old and it still works great. I even have one in my backhoe with all the vibrating it does. I own 11 of them and none of them have ever failed.

·
Registered
596 Posts
How are you doing with a recent purchase? That was what I was talking about. I had great luck with the old ones. I had two in my Dodge diesel 2500. One would start the engine easily. Bought them in 2003.

·
Registered
2000 Red G1 (5k, sold BAT 2019), 2000 Citrus (76k), 2000 G1 (205k)
3 Posts
I bought a Duracell at Batteries Plus Bulbs. Seems fine. Has the look of an original battery (if that matters). Price was better than some.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts