Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum and am awaiting delivery of a 52k mile MT model
from a dealer in Ca. Am wondering if anyone produces a trailer hitch.
I have one on my track/street Miata as well as my E36 M3 for little
trailer or bike rack. I saw the custom made one on fungiart.com and am
wondering what else might be out there. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was going to pull a 300 lb jet ski with mine but Uhaul quoated me $1000 for a custom made one.
Also leary of pulling someting thats 20% the weight of the car for a car that was designed to carry only 350 lbs much less tow it.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
There isn't one manufactured. There is no frame points to bolt to. The little trailer mod I saw actually was a reinforced section of the sheet metal where the spare tire goes.

Whatever you do will be custom, if you want a bike rack, the best bet will probably be a roof mount one. I tried a rear hatch mount one and got MPG's in the mid-30s driving on the interstate and will never do it again. Never put a bike on the back of the Insight, your aerodynamic advantages disappear dramatically. I've since bought a 24" tire bike with a quick release front tire when I need to carry a bike and I don't carry a passenger when toting the bike. Just my way of doing it though.

·
7,181 Posts
The Insight has a payload capacity of 340(?)lbs and you want to tow something? :D

Prepare to get 35MPG.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I figure if I can pull a 50# trailer with my Bike Friday in the mts.
an Insight could on occasion manage a couple hundred pounds in the flatlands.:)

·
7,181 Posts
If you could manage something that is smaller than the rear of the car with two ultra low rolling resistance tires, it might work. But it would have to be so small that it probably wouldn't even be worth it.

If you try to tow something that weighs 300lbs.. I can only imagine how much that would suck. Just the extra rolling resistance alone would significantly impact MPG, let alone any aerodynamic disruption. You would probably have to downshift to 2nd on every significant hill, and your battery would live at 1-4 bars without active management.

As much as I hate to say it, the Insight isn't your fuel mizer if you want to tow something. Something like a VW TDI would be much more suited to it, and could probably still manage 40MPG while towing a small trailer if you're gentle.

·
7,181 Posts
That's just crazy..

How much does it impact his MPG?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
That's just crazy..

How much does it impact his MPG?
He ran the GGP pulling it last year and got something like 45mpg while I got 77.7, but he had non-standard tires and a failing battery.

This year, he had a new battery and the right tires and ran the race without the trailer. He got 69.7 to my 69.0

I can tell you that weight doesn't affect mileage that much. In 2009, I drove from WI to NY at 70mph and got 60mpg carrying this:

In 2010 I made the same trip with a load like this and got similar numbers. I had 4 bins with about 90 sticks each. That's 850 lbs.

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

·
7,181 Posts
Ah. Yeah, I have noticed that weight doesn't affect MPG much either. Infact, my best tank was with the car completely full and loaded down with camping gear.

I never questioned whether the car was physically strong enough to hold/pull a trailer, I just question the ability of 76HP to do it. ;)

But maybe it doesn't have as much of an impact as I would have thought. Probably depends a lot on your local conditions. I don't imagine it would be much fun pulling any sort of trailer up a hill in the Insight.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think there's another I1 owner who has made a custom hitch to tow a custom-made trailer. I'm not sure if he goes on here, but he's on a mountain bike forum I subscribe to and that's how I found out about it.

He has a page about his Insight plus the mods he's made, that includes a write-up on his trailer hitch fabrication. I'll see if I can find it.

Btw, is that a custom orange paint job in that pic?

Edit to add: Nevermind, the site I was thinking of is the fungiart site you already looked at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What kind of bike rack and bike did you had on you I2, also I saw another quote aand the guy took off the front wheel of his bike and change his MPG back to 40s

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've had my Insight for 5 weeks now and am averaging about 67mpg
with mostly highway mileage. Really soft ride and quiet at least compared
to a track Miata and an M3. Perfect for commuting. I think that I will ultimately
try to fab a hitch like jaloponik's for occasional bike rack use. No plans to tow anything. May have to
try my R compound Toyos just for fun. Super soft suspension combined with sticky tires should be interesting. Would kill the mpg no doubt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aero Trailer

Attached photo is my trailer at Bonneville. It has maybe 15,000 miles on it now, so I guess it works. I'll guess it weighs about 400 lb, and I've carried more than that weight inside...2 Electrathon racecars and batteries. It gets about 40mpg at 65mph, and I got 50mpg (under 50mph) in the Green Grand Prix last year.

To insure stability at speed the car has 195/50/15 tires, the trailer 195/50/16.
It is still affected by high winds and rough roads, but under proper conditions out west, it was comfortable at 90mph.

And yes, it has trouble with steep hills. Once the batteries get drained it has the power/weight ratio of a loaded semi, which means dropping to 2nd gear (50mph). Always happens at the top of the Berkshires, and it happened several times crossing the Rockies.

Considering the alternative towing methods...I can live with that.

Attachments

·
7,181 Posts
Hmm.

Wow. I would say that 40MPG is pretty good for 195mm tires AND a 400lb trailer!

I think I'd probably push the envelope a bit and go back to the bridgestones on both the car AND the trailer. Use the Insight's rims on the trailer too.

That might be good for 5MPG? lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts