Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GEN2 with the Japonese navigation/headunit.
Anyone got an idea of how the steering wheel controls and reversing cam is connected? CAN-bus or separate wires, if separate, which wires?

Reason: I got it paired with my cellphone, but for the life of me, I can't answer phones. I can press the button on thew steering wheel, the mobile picks up, but microphone and speaker of the headunit stay off. Frustrating. I might have to utter "Answer phone" in Japonese, methinks, not?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Have you set the language to English?
If you successfully paired your phone I bet you have.

When you get called a tap on the Talk button should take on the call over the speakers, no further exchange required.
When you make the call you could say Call zero one five (etc, the number) after you pushed the button and it gave a soft beep.
Then it should answer 'Would you like to call ...' plus an approximation of the number you gave; you then push the button and say Yes and it says 'Calling ...' and that should be it.

But a Japanese unit. Challenging :)
Maybe try to find a Japanese manual and use Google translate to see if it acts differently from Western units in some way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. It still is Japonese. I used Google's online translator to pair the mobile to the radio. But unfortunately, I can accept a call with the steering wheel buttons, I can hang up, too - but microphone and speakers are off....
So I want to replace the Honda unit with an aftermarket double-DIN.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The Japanese should know darn well their used cars get exported to right hand drive countries in droves. Most of those countries are English speaking. You would think they would be more accommodating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they have different units for different countries. In Japan they come with an integrated Service Concept like GM On-STAR. Obviously they don't have it here, hence different radios. They also have different FM standards in Japan. I can switch the unit for $350 to a more capable modern one, but I need the steering controls and the reverse cam.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a GEN2 with the Japonese navigation/headunit.
Anyone got an idea of how the steering wheel controls and reversing cam is connected? CAN-bus or separate wires, if separate, which wires?

Reason: I got it paired with my cellphone, but for the life of me, I can't answer phones. I can press the button on thew steering wheel, the mobile picks up, but microphone and speaker of the headunit stay off. Frustrating. I might have to utter "Answer phone" in Japonese, methinks, not?
I own the Japanese model with the righthand wheel.
You should remove the radio unit to learn model and an arrangement of exits. Maybe then I will be able to help you.
I have a Clarion NX310 radio unit. I found on official Japan site, the guide to connection of all devices and have mounted independently the camera of a rear and forward view. Also I use the radio unit in Japanese, for this purpose I have translated the Japanese user's guide, without any problems with the main functions.
The Japanese Honda models are produced only for domestic market of Japan and don't provide other languages (it sad).
But the radio unit of excellent quality with a good sound and work in any weather (-40C to + 50C).

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,383 Posts
I replaced my Honda radio with a Kenwood Excelon double-din unit. I wired my own backup camera to it. (I have an LX which didn't come with the fancy electronics.) It has bluetooth but I never use that. But I have occasionally plugged an AUX cord into my phone and used the stereo for calls.

I wouldn't get a Honda unit, I'd go full aftermarket. You might find a shop that can do this for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@gms24ru I like the quality of the original radio. Sounds good, has CAN bus connection and reverse camera. I believe it's good - as most JDM stuff is.
Thing is, it connects my mobile, but I can't use the handsfree as I may accept the call, but it won't connect microphone and speakers - no comms. Since it's an offence to hold the mobile in your hand with the engine on, it's imperative to be able to operate the phone from the steering wheel controls.
My Insight doesn't have a rear window wiper and came with tinted rear windows - hence visibility is bad and I have to rely on the rear view camera for parking.
@Natalya The "official" Honda unit over here is a) outdated and b) prohibitively expensive. I can get a much better Android unit with better screen for about $350. All I need is to wire it up in a way that I can use the phone controls and the rear view camera.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Corkonian
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing