Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, We just bought a used red 2002 Insight and have some questions regarding some of the dashboard controls. The owners manual wasn't with the car and it will be a week or so before the dealer can replace it. We got an automatic transmission because the car will be used primarily as a commuter transport. There is a "Main" switch to the left of the steering wheel on the dash...what's it for? The steering wheel has two tabs marked "S" and "D" on its center lower right...? We've only driven it 100 miles so far, but love this car and there is no going back. With 5 relatives involved in this Iraq mess it seemed like the least we could do. Thanks, mico and jc

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
"In D(rive) mode, the upper power band is avoided, resulting in excellent fuel economy. In S(port) mode, the user can redline the engine... Normal city/freeway driving with "D,"   and high-rpm power from "S." With the 2 modes of driving, you can select your car's behavior depending on your objectives, or situation you are in. Such precise control is only possible with the Honda Multimatic."

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/encvt.html

Not sure about the other switch.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I believe the "main" switch has something to do with the power door locks and/or windows, maybe letting only the driver run them.

Anyway, it's not what I first thought, a way to shut off the IMA electrics. Rather dumb choice of label on Honda's part, I think. I mean, you shut electricity off at the main if you're working on the system, right?

·
Registered
242 Posts
"main" switch

The main switch controls the passenger side power window switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and one more question

Thanks so much for the informed reponses. This is a great forum! There's one more button I'd like to ask about and that's the round one to the left of the steering wheel on the dash near the door marked FCD. Thanks again, jc

·
Registered
242 Posts
"that's the round one to the left of the steering wheel on the dash near the door marked FCD."

Fuel Consumption Display. Pressing this button repeatedly toggles the display through various modes, and also allows you to reset some of the stored data. Your owner's manual should give you all the info you need (when you get it).

Drive safely

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Also be sure to check out the Knowledge Base and Encyclopedia on the main site (links at the top of this page). It often has more detailed information in it than the owner's manual.

The simplest use of the FCD button is to display/hide the "trip segment" readings, which is like a 3rd extra "trip" meter along with "Trip A" and "Trip B." You know you are viewing the segment display when you see this symbol <==> on the dash instead of one of the trips or lifetime mileage readout. Illustrated here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... ments.html

As Jim says, the FCD button also has other functions. If you press and hold it while one of the trips or lifetime mileage is displayed, it will turn on/off display of instantaneous mpg and trip mpg. Also described at the above link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. What a great car! Best wishes, jack and michelle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts