Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aluminum oil pain's plug thread is down to its last safe tightening, my mechanic says. I mentioned to him the recommendations regarding the Timesert and the Fumoto valve. He says that he has installed similar inserts to Timesert, which is just a brand name. Also, he believes that a valve such as Fumoto could leak, and he prefers to install a plug.
I am asking for opinions:
Does it matter if the insert is not branded Timesert?
Plug or Fumoto?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
No Fomoto leaks have been reported far as I know. The valve has a positive locking mechanism so it isn't prone to opening on its own.

First, make sure the steel plate surrounding the drain hole, held to the sump by a single small bolt, has not been removed. If so then the Fomoto won't do much good. I compared the one I have to the length of the stock plug and they were very close to the same length - so might not help.

A Timecert or similar is definitely a better fix. This what Scot does. The beauty of the Fomoto is that you don't have to wrestle with the under panels to drain the oil. Use a Fomoto with a short hose extension and you can get the oil drain clear of the under panels.

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Remove the metal plate and you can pick up several threads.

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
No Fomoto leaks have been reported far as I know. The valve has a positive locking mechanism so it isn't prone to opening on its own.
+1. Fumoto valves DO NOT leak!

Sam

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Little Confused About the Metal Plate

Jime says to "make sure the steel plate surrounding the drain hole, held to the sump by a single small bolt, has not been removed."

But Willie Williford says to "remove the metal plate and you can pick up several threads."

I must confess that I have never changed the oil myself and don't intend to. But to pass it on to my mechanic, keep the plate or remove it (assuming it is there)?

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Jime says to "make sure the steel plate surrounding the drain hole, held to the sump by a single small bolt, has not been removed."

But Willie Williford says to "remove the metal plate and you can pick up several threads."

I must confess that I have never changed the oil myself and don't intend to. But to pass it on to my mechanic, keep the plate or remove it (assuming it is there)?
My words were a bit confusing I'll admit. If you have stripped threads, you will want to remove the steel plate, if it is still installed. That will give you a few more threads to secure a Fumoto. If the plate is still there, then the Fumoto fix will probably work if your mechanic is careful and doesn't overtighten it. Once installed, it won't have to be remove again.

The Timecert is a better and more permanent fix, but probably more costly. You can still use a Fumoto, if you want, for the convenience. You will just have to cost out the options with your mechanic.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of Time-Sert. I'm looking at kits on EBay and I don't understand what exactly they are. Is it just a new thread thing with a tougher metal?

I always put Fumoto F1060N on these cars (and recommend them for G2s as well) and have never had issues.
Timesert is an excellent insert, it's nut just a metal thread formed into the correct diameter & length

Imagint if you have a pipe and threaded the inside, and the outside, to use it as a repair method

the timesert is a little tougher than magnesium

1 - 11 of 11 Posts